Hello from Oregon!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im sure I dont have a complete understanding.

But hunt the way you enjoy.

For instance.

For 30 years I hunted Wyoming with a 243 Winchester in a Ruger 77 and Swift 3-9. I was told so often I would be sorry for using such a small caliber. I killed deer almost every year and do not remember a problem. I even lent it to a couple fellows here and there who had shoulder problems. They killed deer and two bought their own 243 Winchesters.

Hunt the way you enjoy and forget the other guy.

Wife and I just got back from Beaverton. What a beautiful state you have. Welcome aboard.

So how did you do in the E Grant Elk hunt?
Big nada for me. Elk where scattered and wouldn’t respond to calling. Jumped a couple cows on 3rd day but couldn’t make it happen. Oregon recently made most of central and eastern Oregon draw hunts for archery this year but left murderers creek and north side units open to general archery this year. Locals said it was insane, every flat spot had a camp on it, said it looked like Portland. Don’t know if that contributed or not but surly wasn’t helpful. I still have Mackenzie deer tag in November. Hopefully next year will be better for elk! Still have until tomorrow for E.Grant tag, I left yesterday but maybe FishnRod will or has got it done!

Thanks for the up-date. I put in but did not get drawn. I was hoping for some good Intel. I was thinking of hunting in the Beulah unit east of Prairie City. Were you up in the Strawberries?

Yes, strawberry’s and bear creek. I was going to take a drive to beulah but never made it. I think the unit will get better just was a rough year. I will put in for it again.

So how did you do in the E Grant Elk hunt?
My buddy took this nice bull, his first. 54cal GPR with a patched roundball.
Had to cut the hunt short to get back to work, shorthanded like everyone.
Sixes BP deer tag starts next weekend, can't wait.
20211019_115503.jpg

Yes, strawberry’s and bear creek. I was going to take a drive to beulah but never made it. I think the unit will get better just was a rough year. I will put in for it again.
Sounds like we hunted the same area.
Elk were there, but had to work for them.
Can't wait to go back!!

We were the only 2 in camp shooting traditional rifles, 54cal Great Plains. Everyone else carried 50cal in-lines. They were laughing at our roundballs. Tried to explain they worked for 100 years, then just had to show them. Lol

Well done! We couldn’t get anything to work. But glade someone did! I definetly haven’t given up on the place but sure seems to be getting tougher to hunt.
Your name isn't Brian by chance is it?
Met a guy up there a day or two before season. Looks kind of like your avatar picture.

Yes it is! I was wondering if it was you guys . I recognized the pic of your buddy. Small world!
A guy in camp killed a spike down low, about a mile E of camp. Another guy missed rag horn SE of the spring up the mountain in the wilderness. Buddy killed the 5pt about 2 miles S of the spring. We were running from the top down, both sides of the road we were camped on.
Tell Chad that Rod says "Hi"

Well sounds like you guys definitely got into them. I was trying to call them in with very little luck. But glade you guys made it work gives me a little more confidence in the unit! I will let Chad know when I see him! Good luck down in the sixes. I have Mackenzie tag that starts next week will post what I get!

Another buddy is up Scott Cr/Boulder Cr today elk hunting. About an inch of snow on the top road. Used to be a good area for late McK deer.

Another buddy is up Scott Cr/Boulder Cr today elk hunting. About an inch of snow on the top road. Used to be a good area for late McK deer.
Yes that is an area I was looking at. May try and get into sisters wilderness from the box canyon side as well, weather permitting.

Back