Hello from Oregon!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it hunting season yet!!! November 6th can’t get here soon enough. Been seeing some good bucks in the Trask unit! Some nice Elk as well.

I've used a bunch of different bullets for elk. I've been using 115 gr. of 777 and a 405 gr. bullet that drops them. I highly recommend 400 and heavier bullets for elk. If you don't get an exit wound, it is very hard to track them. I can track them fine when they are running, but once they start walking, it can be tough. I guess you'll have soft ground if it is raining, but no blood trail. I'm able to use a jacketed bullet, so I aim for the shoulder. With a pure lead bullet, a shoulder shot won't work. My first muzzleloader elk hunt I hit right on the ball of the shoulder. The pure lead bullet sheared the ball joint of the shoulder and split in two. Luckily for me, half went through the lung, and half through the neck, and she only ran 75 yards. I've also used 400 gr. hardcast bullets. It penetrated from left front shoulder to rignt ham, but she went over 100 yards. If you are going to use a lighter bullet, I'd recommend Thor hollow point bullets. I've not used them, but my friends have had great luck with the hollow point Barnes bullets Thors are made from.

I've used a bunch of different bullets for elk. I've been using 115 gr. of 777 and a 405 gr. bullet that drops them. I highly recommend 400 and heavier bullets for elk. If you don't get an exit wound, it is very hard to track them. I can track them fine when they are running, but once they start walking, it can be tough. I guess you'll have soft ground if it is raining, but no blood trail. I'm able to use a jacketed bullet, so I aim for the shoulder. With a pure lead bullet, a shoulder shot won't work. My first muzzleloader elk hunt I hit right on the ball of the shoulder. The pure lead bullet sheared the ball joint of the shoulder and split in two. Luckily for me, half went through the lung, and half through the neck, and she only ran 75 yards. I've also used 400 gr. hardcast bullets. It penetrated from left front shoulder to rignt ham, but she went over 100 yards. If you are going to use a lighter bullet, I'd recommend Thor hollow point bullets. I've not used them, but my friends have had great luck with the hollow point Barnes bullets Thors are made from.
Oh Wow. Thanks for the tip on the Thor bullets. They look awesome.

No excuses bullets, that’s the brand name.

Latest posts

Back