Helluva day!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcnull2305

Reaction score
You's that know me, know that 2020 was a giant kick in the front, central part of the pants for me at work. It's kinda gut-punched all of us.

2020 house.jpg

Well, to add to this year's giant Sh!t sandwich, within a 2 month time period, I lost all three of the private land tracts I've been hunting for 20+/- years due to sales, deaths, and (one owner) lunacy. So no whitetails for me!! In Ohio, the bag limit is pretty generous at 6 - that's 1 antlered and 5 antlerless.

Anyway, some friends and I worked out a deal with a farm last week to hit their grown-over sorghum fields. There were 4 shooters and one guy running 3 dogs. The 4 hour walked yielded 14 pheasants and one chukar. Only three - two Pheasants and one chukar- got away from our 4-man AAA battery!!

It was a great fix for my hunting jones.

IMG_7620~3.JPGIMG_7617.JPGIMG_7620~5.JPGIMG_7624.JPGIMG_7618.JPG

You's that know me, know that 2020 was a giant kick in the front, central part of the pants for me at work. It's kinda gut-punched all of us.

View attachment 11719

Well, to add to this year's giant Sh!t sandwich, within a 2 month time period, I lost all three of the private land tracts I've been hunting for 20+/- years due to sales, deaths, and (one owner) lunacy. So no whitetails for me!! In Ohio, the bag limit is pretty generous at 6 - that's 1 antlered and 5 antlerless.

Anyway, some friends and I worked out a deal with a farm last week to hit their grown-over sorghum fields. There were 4 shooters and one guy running 3 dogs. The 4 hour walked yielded 14 pheasants and one chukar. Only three - two Pheasants and one chukar- got away from our 4-man AAA battery!!

It was a great fix for my hunting jones.

View attachment 11720View attachment 11722View attachment 11723View attachment 11724View attachment 11725
Looks like a great day for sure ,you must be the bearded one ? yup/Ed

Thankfully, that is not my house. I just thought it was an appropriate reference for this year.

In my part of Ohio only 2 deer may be taken. I have not seen a wild pheasant or quail here in over 25 years and I have terrific cover. Nearly 160 acres of CRP, woods, tall prairie grass, cattails, bog, marsh, river front etc. You must be in a special place.

You must be in a special place.
Not at all. I'm in Franklin County. The bag for Franklin County is 4, but I go to Athens, Deleware, Ross, Pike, Hocking, and Vinton - or I did before all this mess. The Bag Limit I was referring to is state-wide.

The Place we hunted the birds is near Wilmington, and benefits from the releases from Cherrybend. There are no "wild" pheasants in Ohio. I would argue that there are no wild pheasants anywhere in the United States. Even states like Wisconsin and the Dakotas buy birds from breeders and release them in their respective states. Pheasants are not native to the U.S. They were brought here by Englanders, who, themselves imported them from Asia.

The only thing special about this trip was that I got out at all.

Wow, the regs for Ohio are complicated. Sounds like you have to do your homework.
Here in Oklahoma it's 6 deer statewide. Only 2 bucks allowed.
We have a special antlerless season, started yesterday. 2 bonus deer may be taken.
When I lived in Connecticut, you could take up to 12 deer if you had state and private land permits.

Latest posts

Back