Help** CVA Accura v2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are suggesting that a sticky reticle adjustment of approximately 120 clicks (1" per click x 10' @ 300 yards is the possible problem?)

There is no 245gr 50cal Aerolite. There is a 250gr and the BC is horrible. There is a 245gr AeroTip and the BC is even worse than the AeroLite. Even a 150gr load will shed velocity like crazy. I cant imagine using something like that for any kind of long range work and at close range that Powebelt is gunna come apart like a varmint bullet.

A claimed BC of .161 is just terrible.
https://www.bpioutdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Ballistics.pdf

Only the Platinum Powerbelts are designed for 120gr+ loads. Aerolites and AeroTips are for use with 100gr and under loads.

It has nothing to do with Powerbelts. I'm positive the scope was not set properly. How about it SS??

Only the Platinum Powerbelts are designed for 120gr+ loads. Aerolites and AeroTips are for use with 100gr and under loads.

Did you look at the link?...That load data is straight from BPI and PB.....Tell them.

OK....no math genius here. I was just making the point that having a scope that wouldn't move after dozens of clicks without hitting it with something...well now that I think about it, maybe a Konus falls into that category??
Anyway, I solved this mystery. It was not so much of a mystery, just an operator error, one I admitted to making myself.

I was thinking what a load of horse puckey!!

You and me both. They go on about the mythical sabot fouling AGAIN and claim you cant get more than a shot off without cleaning. Well what is that skirt made from Pvt Pyle? How is it ive loaded 30 sabot shots or more easily? When youins is using a 50cal bullet youins is hitting it hard. I wonder how that is harder than the same weight 45cal bullet?

Pure propaganda. Its like a infomercial gone terribly wrong.

Sounds like the Mythical Unicorn, it's a magical thing, if you can find it :cool:
zxlAplq.gif

The PB is just a bad choice all around when you start talking about long range shooting. Light for caliber PBs like pretty much any of them under 300gr are gunna be a train wreck. Assuming you can get them accurate at distance you still got to face the facts that they are getting below a ethical amount of retained energy.

Shooting them fast enough so they got that energy and they are very fragile when that buck pops his head out at 25yards. Some guys dont mind a bullet that grenades on impact....I do and when im shelling out over a buck a pop for a bullet it better hold together.

A 245gr 45cal aint all that great either but the sectional density is certainly better and the BC is more than likely better. Shoot that same "mag" load with something like a 250gr SST or TEZ. Its night and day how much drop you got vs a 245gr PB. One thing is for sure....That 250gr TEZ aint coming apart and its about the same price.

The scope in this case might be part of the issue but my math tells me (according to PB's published ballistics) that its going transonic well before reaching 300 yards. By 250 yards its below 700fpe so why even bother with it if long range loads are the goal? Save them for much lighter loads and out to 100yards or so. Get something else for your long range shooting.

Hello guys.. I’m no newbie to muzzleloading but this one has got me stumped! (The rifle was given to me as a tip from a hunter. And I love everything about it!) it’s the muzzleloader with the konus scope package I sight it in 3-4” high at 100yd at 200 it’s dead nuts off a sled. At 300 about 8-10 feet low!! The hold is well below the post with it all the way zoomed in on 10x?! Can anyone give me an insight? I’ve tested with 150gr. Of pyrodex pellets and also 150gr of white hot. 245gr are aerolite powerbelt. Excuse my sweet artistic skills. TIA
I can only offer you my experiences in this matter. I find Power Belts flawed by design because they are thin metal guilded to the core rather than bonded to an actual jacket. And because of the mass removed from the base to accommodate the gas check, it loses too much sectional density to be viable. I know lots of deer have been killed by them but many have been wounded and lost too and that is unacceptable. To date the round that I have found to be the most fundamentally sound is the Remington Premier Expander. The 250gr bullet is made by Barnes and it's basically a T-EZ. The sabot is the key here. It's designed to handle 200gr charges out of the Remington UML and let me tell you...the base of this thing is stiff. It takes a lot of effort to get this slug down the bore of my Plains Rifle. But it's seals extremely well which I'm finding to be of paramount importance. My suggestion to you is get some...they're about $26 for 24 from Midway which a better deal than any PB. I've been messing with my CVA for about 2 months now. It started out as a scoped combo and the scope, rings/base and breech plug have been changed. Anyone that thinks a 209 primer is the way to light off BH209 hasn't used a magnum large rifle primer. And anything other than BH209 in a modern inline muzzleloader is a unnecessary handicap. If you want to go traditional then do so. But if modern is the way you want to go, then do it right. I started off with a Konus Pro 3-10x44 scope and after it smacked me over my right eye because it's only got 3" of eye relief it came off and a Burris Fullfield IV 3-12x42 went on in it's place. I wear eye glasses and scopes without an adjustable objective don't work for me. This Burris has a side adjustable objective and that's handier than the old style out on the bell. But the most important change was the breech plug. I got the Arrowhead Rifles Large Rifle primer model. It's ridiculously expensive at $190 but it does an amazingly better job of igniting the BH209. I was using the Lehigh model with the vent liner an o-ring and 209m primers and after 3 shots the inside of the breech plug were caked with a scaly residue of unburned power. After 15 shots with the Arrowhead plug all that was left was a dark almost oily stain that cleaned of in a flash with Hoppes #9. I guess what I'm saying is what I've found is that this rifle of mine is like every other rifle I've ever owned...it takes time and experimentation to find out what makes it it's best. And if I won't go to the wall for this rifle to make it the best it can be then I shouldn't have it.

Last edited:
Another guess I guess! Exactly what model # is that Konus scope. If you happened to get a scope with a BDC reticle that was meant for cartridges in the .300 Weatherby class for instance, your 8-10 ft. low shot would make perfect sense.

Back