Help me decide... Bullet Sizing or Pick a bullet and find the “right” sabot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usmc22

Reaction score
Main goals:
- Identify a bullet / sabot combination that shoots well (MOA or better)
- Be able to by the above combo in bulk
- Good terminal performance on deer / bear

I’m looking at bullet sizing dies such as the Hankin’s and the Swinglock. I’m also shopping for bullets I can buy in bulk to use with MMP and Harvester Crush Rib Sabots to get the right fit for my knight ultra lite.

I’m considering the Hornady .452” 300 gr XTP bullet in hopes it will load / shoot well with one of the sabot combinations and finding the accuracy with varying the blackhorn 209 load.

Am I on the right train here?

If it were me, I'd go bullet to bore and forget about the weakest link, the sabot.

I'd purchase the Swinglock sizing die for your cal. rifle and I'd use the Fury bullets.

I have sized bullets, both full form and smooth sizing. If I had just one ML that might be fine but with many it was kind of a pain keeping track of what each needed. One and done might be fine but generally for ease and still overall adequate performance I still like sabots with the right bullet combination. The 300 XTP has proven itself over the years at reasonable ranges on deer. I cannot speak on bears.
You can spend a sizable amount on sizing dies, it would buy a lot of bullets and sabots. I have even used some of the Lee sizing dies, quite reasonable in cost, when I only needed a slight reduction.
If one does not get the sizing right or fouling builds up I have gotten sized bullets stuck. A pain to get them out. Usually some powder gets in the breech plug threads, take a brass weight or rod to get the bullet out. A lot of down time etc. Just my experience, yours may vary.
The Swinglock dies I have are quality built. Cannot speak to on the Hankins, don't have it but have heard they are well built also.

@jims this is kind of my thought... I guess I’ll try that first

On order for Sabots:
MMP 50/45
HPH12 50/45
HPH24 50/45
3Petal-EZ 50/45
Harvester Crush Rib Black 50/45

Bullets:
Hornady XTP HP 250gr (100)
Hornady XTP HP 300gr (50)

Really wanted to find The Barnes 250 and 275 XPB’s but just cannot seem to locate them.

You might consider Arrowhead Rifles no size (NSR) .45 cal bullets. Luke as done a magnificent job on this bullet design and they are incredibly accurate out of my gun.

I’d have to agree with Encore50 on this one. I was dead set I would never size bullets for a long time. After a bunch of years I gave in and ordered a Swinglock when I built my Encore. I decided if I was building a high end gun I may as well try to get the most out of it. The Swinglock takes a few tries to get down but once you get the hang of it it’s pretty easy. It gives you a chance to perfect the bullet to bore fit and I really don’t miss sabots.

I’d have to agree with Encore50 on this one. I was dead set I would never size bullets for a long time. After a bunch of years I gave in and ordered a Swinglock when I built my Encore. I decided if I was building a high end gun I may as well try to get the most out of it. The Swinglock takes a few tries to get down but once you get the hang of it it’s pretty easy. It gives you a chance to perfect the bullet to bore fit and I really don’t miss sabots.
This will be my next step if I can’t get a good fit with the range of sabots and bullets I ordered.

I have sized bullets, both full form and smooth sizing. If I had just one ML that might be fine but with many it was kind of a pain keeping track of what each needed. One and done might be fine but generally for ease and still overall adequate performance I still like sabots with the right bullet combination. The 300 XTP has proven itself over the years at reasonable ranges on deer. I cannot speak on bears.
You can spend a sizable amount on sizing dies, it would buy a lot of bullets and sabots. I have even used some of the Lee sizing dies, quite reasonable in cost, when I only needed a slight reduction.
If one does not get the sizing right or fouling builds up I have gotten sized bullets stuck. A pain to get them out. Usually some powder gets in the breech plug threads, take a brass weight or rod to get the bullet out. A lot of down time etc. Just my experience, yours may vary.
The Swinglock dies I have are quality built. Cannot speak to on the Hankins, don't have it but have heard they are well built also.
I have the Hankins and love the quality. A1 Quality!

With modern sabots being the weak link it really isn't much of a weak link. In warm weather sabots can become to soft and pliable. Accuracy is lost because the lands just can't get a good grip. That being said I feel the sabot or not is just personal preference. Both will work fine.

........................... In warm weather sabots can become to soft and pliable. Accuracy is lost because the lands just can't get a good grip...........................

Most shooters practice when its warm out, not to many at this time of year. We know that shooting in warm weather using sabots, requires 10min or more between rounds to let the barrel cool. Sometimes up to 20min. Bullet to bore........... just keep shooting.
Personal preference...........

Yep. I agree completely. The only full bore I've shot was the Thor from my Optima. They always shot great warm barrel or not. No change in accuracy.

Go with solid copper such as Barnes (preferred), 80-90grs of your powder of choice and the thinnest sabot that gives enough resistance, but not too hard to load, and you'll be shooting cloverleafs. .458dia bullets works great in 50cal as do .452dia bullets.

I shoot a T/C Strike using BH 209 powder and a CCI 209 primer to propel a Harvester 300 grain PT gold bullet with their black crushed rib sabot using a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope. It is a solid 200-yard shooter and if I had a conveniently located range longer than 200 yards, I’d have a longer opinion.

Latest posts

Back