help me dial in my accuracy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most .50 cals will shoot a .45 or even .458 cal bullets better than .44 cal bullets when trying to develop hotter loads . This is because sabots are thinner with .45 cal bullets . Most guns when shooting smaller diameter bullets like .44 or .40 cal bullets will achieve their best accuracy with reduced charges . You may want to try a reduced charge . All guns are different this is just a suggestion .

Yeah ive never gotten 50x44 to shoot as good near max loads. I can take the same bullet weight and nearly the same sabot OD and never gotten better results than a 50x45 or 50x458.

yep, for sure after this season. im excited to try out a 45 cal 300g deep curl with the thinner sabot. looks like they make 3 black sabots... crush, as well as a long and short smooth harvester. they say the long is for 300gr and up, and the short is for 300gr and down.

they just opened an inline bear season here as well, so the 300 gr will be nice to have because i can work up a "magnum" load for it.

Harvester "short black smooth" for upto 300gr bullets is the one you want to try with the 300gr DeepCurl. Its a good sabot for most newer CVA bores and it cost less than the crushrib. The Deepcurl is probably fine for bear but the Speer 300gr 458 bullet is tougher. Better penetration. Harvester now sells a 50x458 sabot too. MMP 50x458 Orange works for lots of guys but they might be a tad tight in a CVA. You can load a 458 in a red sabot that comes with the SSTs and get about the same loaded OD size.

Im almost certain the Speer 458 300gr is the same bullet Federal uses in their 45/70 ammo at a claimed 1885fps.

Buy your harvesters at Graffs for not quite half the price. I paid $6.64 vs $10.+ at Harvester

Buy your harvesters at Graffs for not quite half the price. I paid $6.64 vs $10.+ at Harvester

Midsouth has a good price on them too but i normally get mine at Grafs.

thanks. ive been looking at natchez as im planning on buying both bullets and sabots at the same place rather than pay shipping 2x. its 16 for 50 deep curls, $7 for smooth black, $7 for crush rib black and $13 shipping, which is very high. but im going to check out grafs and midsouth. thanks.

Midway has free shipping for orders over $49.

Grafs is flat rate $9.95 shipping. A tad high but not bad if you order enough. Im a bit spoiled cuz i just walk in and buy them. :p Tax is less than the shipping.

100 sabots and 100 bullets was around $50 shipped

Grafs is flat rate $9.95 shipping. A tad high but not bad if you order enough. Im a bit spoiled cuz i just walk in and buy them. :p Tax is less than the shipping.

yep... total price shipped at this point, they are cheapest... just need to add a couple bucks to get to their $40 purchase minimum, which wont be difficult at all.

It is over $40 for 100/100. Comes to $52 and change with the $9.95 shipping.

I would suggest the Speer 260gr as 1 of the 50 packs of bullets but they are out atm. Great smaller bullet too. Just get 2 boxes of the 300gr. They often get in short supply and hard to find.

It is over $40 for 100/100. Comes to $52 and change with the $9.95 shipping.

I would suggest the Speer 260gr as 1 of the 50 packs of bullets but they are out atm. Great smaller bullet too. Just get 2 boxes of the 300gr. They often get in short supply and hard to find.

not sure what you mean about 100/100.

im not ordering right now, so i can wait for the 260 to come into stock. thats actually exactly what i was thinking about doing. give me one more bullet option to play with.

100 bullets
100 sabots

That Speer 260gr is the bullet Knight used to sell BUT Speer changed them. Now its a UniCor design with far less lead exposed. Im grabbing a box next time im near Grafs.

Old
591316.jpg

New
https://www.speer-ammo.com/products/bullets/handgun-bullets/jacketed-handgun-bullet/4481
411553669_2.jpg

I pretty much have been sticking to handgun bullets. I like the .452 300gr xtp mags and black crush rib over 80gr wieghed blackhorn. I always weigh all my powder charges now. I was using a mag powder measure and wondered why the load was as stout as it was. Come to find out the powder measure weight for 120gr volume was 130 grains weight wise of blackhorn! Do not trust volumetric measures unless you verify on a accurate zeroed scale!
The load has taken many deer usually dropping them on the spot or within maybe 20 to 30 yds. I like good blood and instant drop i get with 300gr Hornady xtps. Very accurate out of my knight mountaineer.
I had to switch to the sierra .4515 300gr soft points this year because the hornadys were sold out at my tackle store. They seem to fly and group really well. Have to see how well they work on deer. Had to alter an old ramrod to seat the bullets with. Hollow point jags would unseat the sierra bullets so i made more of a flat tip jag. Works great.

Come to find out the powder measure weight for 120gr volume was 130 grains weight wise of blackhorn!

What brand of volume measure was that because ive never seen one that far off. 130gr by weight of BH209 is way over 150gr by volume. There are few bench mounted volumetric measures that once dialed in will throw very consistent loads of BH209.

What brand of volume measure was that because ive never seen one that far off. 130gr by weight of BH209 is way over 150gr by volume. There are few bench mounted volumetric measures that once dialed in will throw very consistent loads of BH209.
I believe it was an older tc? When i first got it i was using 777 i remember that. It may have been a different manufacture. That was early mid ninties? All the way closed it was supposed to be 90gr all the way open was supposed to be 150gr. I had it set at 120.
I dont mind wieghing them. What brand are the bench measures ypu spoke of?

Weird. Are you sure? Please recheck.
I ended up reverifying and the brass magnum powder measure..... i was way the heck off! I dont know where i had gotten 130gr from i remember the number sticking out to me??? but the brass measure was 3.8 gr heavy at 120gr setting. Oh well thanks for asking me to recheck. Even though i look stupid ☺ i am not afraid to admit when i am wrong, and in this case way wrong. But in my mind it bothered me enought to go to weighing all my charges. I am happy with the results and wont go back to the older volume type measures.

https://www.blackhorn209.com/faqs/You may want to browse over this. You’ve either got a garbage volume measure, your setting it wrong, or you have something other than BH209.
Item number 5 on the FAQ’s.
120V X 0.7(multiplier)= 84 grains.
DO NOT SHOOT 120 WEIGHED GRAINS OF BH209!!! That’s the equivalent of 171 grains volume. You take a good chance of ruining a gun or a body part.

Back