Help me get started with super 91 in .451

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zymguy

Reaction score
I got over-excited and carried away. I did not sleep on it as i usually do soo now I'm going to overpay for my first white. A beautiful gun in the caliber I wanted hopefully i learned my lesson. I enjoy casting for centerfire rifles so naturally I'd like to cast for the white. What bullet is suggested? I havent shot inline very much, all ive used is triple 7 should i keep using it for the white?
Can i survive on ramen alone? Does my dogs kibble have any vitamins in it ?
I'm sure ill have many more questions to come !
Thanks
Ben

zymguy said:
I got over-excited and carried away. I did not sleep on it as i usually do soo now I'm going to overpay for my first white. A beautiful gun in the caliber I wanted hopefully i learned my lesson. I enjoy casting for centerfire rifles so naturally I'd like to cast for the white. What bullet is suggested? I havent shot inline very much, all ive used is triple 7 should i keep using it for the white?
Can i survive on ramen alone? Does my dogs kibble have any vitamins in it ?
I'm sure ill have many more questions to come !
Thanks
Ben
460 to 530 gr would be my choice. You can stick with 777 3f
Kibbles and bits have sufficient nutrients:)

Congratulations and welcome to the DWB family. How did you come across such a great find? As far as bullets, if you cast your own, I would try the Lyman 330gr HP Gould mold or the Accurate Mold 45-465M mold. Regarding powder, I would use either Swiss or 777 both in 3F. As far as charge, I would start at 65gr and work your way up to 75 or 80. For me, 70 gr of either 777 or Swiss seems to work best.

Ed

Congrats on the Super 91, best muzzleloader IMO! I agree with the above triple seven 3Fg 80gr. is my load with a felt wad, 480gr Bullshop conical. I haven't tried the 460gr, but I'm sure they will work. My .451 has put three deer in the freezer this season with the above load( gave one to the land owner).
We would like to see your 91 if you have time... :yeah:

Purchased a .451 Super myself last year. Overpaid a bit myself, but I had previously got a steal on a g-series in .504, so I averaged them and called it good.
Killed a fork horn and a 8pt the first two weeks it went to the woods, the 8 point was killed in regular rifle season! I had a loaded Super, so that's what went to the woods with me. One shot, dirt nap. 65 hrs T7, 3f, and a 385 gr No Excuses bullet.
I'll do more load development this summer, post your results, we'll compare notes. Good luck.

There are many molds that work will with the .451 skwirl rifles. I am very fond of the two Ed is suggesting. In all honest I have had my best accuracy with this one though: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10102 ... -whitworth.
It takes a bit of sizing but they do shoot well. I haven't shot a deer with that rifle but in soft lead I know it would work just fine.
As far as what you paid, I would rather overpay for a good rifle than get a great deal on a poor one so you will be fine in that respect.
Good Luck, Art

Congrats on a fine rifle! :applause: I heard a saying that my wife and I have proven to be true many times: “A woman will buy something she doesn’t need just because it was on sale and a man will pay too much for something because it’s exactly what he wants. “ :think:

edmehlig said:
Congratulations and welcome to the DWB family. How did you come across such a great find? As far as bullets, if you cast your own, I would try the Lyman 330gr HP Gould mold or the Accurate Mold 45-465M mold. Regarding powder, I would use either Swiss or 777 both in 3F. As far as charge, I would start at 65gr and work your way up to 75 or 80. For me, 70 gr of either 777 or Swiss seems to work best.

Ed

Not sure what the rules say about linking to it directly but it is still open auction on gun broker

zymguy said:
edmehlig said:

Ed

Not sure what the rules say about linking to it directly but it is still open auction on gun broker
I have a feeling the price will go higher before it’s over. You might not have a winning bid yet

1874sharpsshooter said:
zymguy said:
edmehlig said:

Ed

I have a feeling the price will go higher before it’s over. You might not have a winning bid yet

if i get outbid then i know i didnt pay too much =)

flounder said:
There are many molds that work will with the .451 skwirl rifles. I am very fond of the two Ed is suggesting. In all honest I have had my best accuracy with this one though: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10102 ... -whitworth.
It takes a bit of sizing but they do shoot well. I haven't shot a deer with that rifle but in soft lead I know it would work just fine.
As far as what you paid, I would rather overpay for a good rifle than get a great deal on a poor one so you will be fine in that respect.
Good Luck, Art

The mold that Flounder recommended is an Excellent Mold! I had given mine to a fellow ML nut like us who was down on his luck (Financially) so I gave it to him due to the fact that I shoot the Lyman 330gr Gould bullet and my Accurate Mold 45-465M more. You can't go wrong with any of the ones mentioned.

well the auction is over and I won.
I'm a little surprised lymann is getting praise. I've only got old ones but I've read some complaints about the current production moulds.

Mine is old, I bought it used. It works well, very consistent. I guess I can't comment on their new molds because I don't have one. Congrats on getting that rifle, I hope it turns out to be a good one!
Art

Well, if you don't like the Lyman, check out Accurate Molds web site. My bullet 45-465M works very well. The original design had the bands measuring .454. Someone ordered the mold after I designed it and modified it to .453. Sized to .454 they come out weighing close to 465gr. At .453 they came out weighing close to 462. If you like the design, but want it heavier, just tell Tom to modify that mold to whatever weight you like e.g. 475gr.

One fella that use to post here took my design to 45-510. That bullet was probably the most accurate bullet I consistently shot out of my 451 White. I just felt it was too much bullet for the deer I shoot at. Now If I was interested in Target competition, that would be a different story.

Ed

Is Bullshop still making bullets? If so, I found his 488gr. pill to be extremely accurate in the few .451s I've owned. Otherwise I'd try to "sweet-talk" Ed out of some of his bullets! 8)

1874sharpsshooter said:
flounder said:
Good Luck, Art
You can’t overpay for a White unless your name is Dave :mrgreen:

1874sharpsshooter said:
zymguy said:
fishhawk2700 said:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/789185692

This one has been reposted. Original starting bid was 650, now he's down to 500. Maybe the guy will figure out a pitted breech/hammer means more like 350.

Uh oh .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t worry you might not get it. Seems there is often someone who wants one bad enough that they go for more than your current bid.
Hypocrisy at its best. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Been shooting White rifles for more than twenty years. Have one in every caliber they made. Whitetails and Super 91s. Love 'em. Been shooting my own bullets thru them (No Excuses Muzzleloader Bullets) with great results. Just introduced sabots that are very similar to the Shooting Stars of yester-year with Harverster Crush Rib sabots. Only available in 50 caliber for now, but would be interested to hear if there is any interest in us making a sabot available for the 45 caliber? Historically, I have not been a fan of sabots where we tend to get some pretty long shots here in the West (Utah) but these sabots are the real deal. Very accurate and deadly down-range. Decisions.....decisions......

muzzleloading-bullets.com

bulletbusiness said:
Been shooting White rifles for more than twenty years. Have one in every caliber they made. Whitetails and Super 91s. Love 'em. Been shooting my own bullets thru them (No Excuses Muzzleloader Bullets) with great results. Just introduced sabots that are very similar to the Shooting Stars of yester-year with Harverster Crush Rib sabots. Only available in 50 caliber for now, but would be interested to hear if there is any interest in us making a sabot available for the 45 caliber? Historically, I have not been a fan of sabots where we tend to get some pretty long shots here in the West (Utah) but these sabots are the real deal. Very accurate and deadly down-range. Decisions.....decisions......

muzzleloading-bullets.com

Dave, Here’s another decision for you. A 530 gr 45 cal sized for paper patching . Now that would be a great addition to your lineup . :mrgreen:

Back