Help- misfires

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your problem is the loose fitting bullet, and a long breech plug. That bullet needs to stay put until you can get enough heat, flame and pressure into your charge for good ignition. Your bullet is being pushed off your charge.

If you still want to shoot the THOR bullets, get the .501" diameter bullets. Then get yourself a good bullet starter. This knuckle saver should work good on the T/C's with the QLA and the CVA's with the BGM. I wouldn't recommend it for rifles without the false muzzles that have a crown on the end of the barrel.

https://www.amazon.com/CVA-AC1428-Knucklesaver-Bullet/dp/B00T3MCKFO

You say the .500 bullet was loose and the .501 was way too tight. That makes no sense. Are you sure you read the color coding correct? With the .500 being too loose I would expect the .502 bullet to be about perfect.

This always seems to show up here , bh and hang fires, I for one stopped using it a couple years ago because of the fact I always seemed to get a hang fire now and then even on a new plug and tight bullet. I just have very few hunting days with my work situation and I want to know my gun will fire, that being said I never had a problem with 777 . I do swab between shots and accuracy is great, just my 2 cents

This always seems to show up here , bh and hang fires, I for one stopped using it a couple years ago because of the fact I always seemed to get a hang fire now and then even on a new plug and tight bullet. I just have very few hunting days with my work situation and I want to know my gun will fire, that being said I never had a problem with 777 . I do swab between shots and accuracy is great, just my 2 cents

I agree, I tried it before understanding it’s requirements, i had the same experience as the op, i had 2 Bullets barely exit the Bore, Luckily i had brought along some Tight Fitting Vege Fibre Wads That Day and was able to get my gun to go off with them, it was stil Hit & Miss, about every other Shot would Go off, But at least i was able to Shoot my New Rifle that Day. I learned what it took to make BH209 go off (Compression, Tight Fitting bullet) But Since i shoot Mostly “Slip Fit, Land Rider” Bullets there was no need for me to Continue Messing with BH209, I disposed of it and went back to my Real Blackpowder, i have never Gave BH209 another Thought.

I personally fired appx 1200 rounds of blackhorn and bullet to bore this year at friendship nmlra range and boom every single time and I clean between every shot.

Done right it is flawless

If everything is done as it should be BH209 is no more trouble then any other powder with several more advantages..best thing is just to use what your comfortable with and you know will go bang. There is a learning curve with it just like anything.
That’s the answer, shoot what works best for you, I just felt like keeping it simple

Yep, its simple for me to weigh out charges of BH209 with the push of a button and never needing to swab between shots. Never need to worry about a stuck breach plug. Which is something i cant do with Triple7 or any other sub besides BH209.

I would shoot Swiss if i couldnt get BH209. Maybe Olde Enysford.

Never had a stuck plug, the swabbing gets old sometimes. Black horn is so hard to find local for me , I actually gave 2 new bottles away last year so I wouldn’t be tempted to use it again , probably shouldn’t have done that, but it went to a good home. one of my other reasons to stop using it was my first shot on a clean barrel always hit high for some reason and I like to hunt with a clean barrel, I know aim low on the second one . I been lucky enough not to need a follow up in a while. some day I might get a bottle and play around again, for now it’s ole reliable

You can also try pushing a pin gauge thru the plug or the right sized welders tip cleaner.

Yep, its simple for me to weigh out charges of BH209 with the push of a button and never needing to swab between shots. Never need to worry about a stuck breach plug. Which is something i cant do with Triple7 or any other sub besides BH209.

I would shoot Swiss if i couldnt get BH209. Maybe Olde Enysford.
You have never had a hang fire with black horn, if not I must be doing something wrong

Nope, not with a Lehigh plug or NULA plug. 99% of those shots were with a standard Win209 also. All plugs setup for a good seal. I was lucky none of mine needed any shims. All primers crushed.

Knight FPJ plug yes, unmodded CVA old style plug yes. Both could have a hang fire if not careful. Once modded the old style CVA was fine too. Not a single problem.

Nope, not with a Lehigh plug or NULA plug. 99% of those shots were with a standard Win209 also. All plugs setup for a good seal. I was lucky none of mine needed any shims. All primers crushed.

Knight FPJ plug yes, unmodded CVA old style plug yes. Both could have a hang fire if not careful. Once modded the old style CVA was fine too. Not a single problem.
I thank you for sharing, I think the seal may have been a problem for me, my guns are now shimmed for around 4 and 5 thousand crush, but I haven’t shot bh with these guns since I have done the mods. May have to try again, an awful lot of you guys have no issues, thanks

I was helping a young guy from Tennessee with Bullets (I sent him) They loaded TIGHT for him in his Brand New Mountaineer with FPJ, Tighter than he was Comfortable with, he ended up ordering a Swinglock Sizer To Reduce them Some. He had Several issues with BH209 as well, Looking back, I wonder now if the FPJ Setup wasn’t some of his Problem? He had Start/Stop ignition, Bullets Exited But didn’t make it to the Target, And some plain Fail to Fires. He was using 1/8” Wool Felt Wads (My recommendation as always) He finally switched over to Hard Card/Vege Fibre .060 And most of his Problems went Away, the best I remember?

When i had my Bad Experience with BH209 it was from a Combination of 2 Things that were MY OWN FAULT, But i Simply didn’t know any Better at the time? I had NEVER fired a Shot of BH209, Therefore i had ZERO experience with it. The 1st thing wrong was My bullets were WAY to loose (.451 in a .451.5 Bore, They slid down with ZERO Help needed, tho i did Push on them good n hard at the Powder) And to make matters even Worse, i was Using 1/8” Wool Felt over Powder Wads, I Did NOT get 1 Single Shot to go off like that. I suspicioned it HAD to be a Compression issue, Luckily i had TIGHT fitting .060 Vege Fibre Wads along with me on this Particular Day, if it hadn’t of been for them, i would have Went Home that day without getting to Fire a Single Shot from my Brand New Rifle. Even with the tight Vege Fibre Wads i stil had numerous fail to Fires, about every other shot?

BH209 Simply DOES NOT WORK for my Style of Shooting (Land Rider Bullets, and Wool Felt Wads) My feelings are NOT HURT in the Least. My results to 600 Yards with Real Blackpowder speak for themselves, And CLEARLY show that I am NOT missing ANYTHING ;) Knowing what i do now, I have NO DOUBT I could make BH209 Work Reliably, But i am NOT willing to Change my PROVEN stuff to Make a Substitute Powder Work for me.

I'll shoot about 10 bullets at the range, never swab the barrel, never had a breech plug get stuck (I do use breech plug grease). Bullets load with one finger pressure and all that with nasty 777.

Thanks for all of the replies guys! I found some 295 grain powerbelts aerotips here locally after trying a few places. I also got a longer drill bit and cleaned out the breach plug better. The drill bit that I had with me the other day was a little short. The passage looked good, but I didn’t get some extra carbon out. I shot 3 shots at the 50 yd range at lunch and put them all in the bullseye. I was just happy that the gun went “bang” each time! I did swap between shots again without any oil. I also cleaned the breach plug good after the second shot.

I shot a deer tonight at 50 yards in the shoulder. It ran off about 50 yards. I did not get a pass through. I didn’t find a single drop of blood until I found the deer piled up. The shot location maybe to blame for both though. Can anyone recommend a better Colorado legal bullet for elk I’m the future?

I’m pretty sure the issue was the loose fitting bullets. I’ve been 4/4 since changing them out. Thanks again for all of the replies!

No sabots
No pellets
209s are ok
No scopes
No smokeless

So basically anything full bore is legal in the way of bullets or conicals. They do have a PRB restriction which is 54cal or larger.

Latest posts

Back