Help on Ladle Casting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tctech1974

Reaction score
Which Ladle do you use? I really need to get my ladles out and give ladle Casting a try, i have a Lyman, and a Rowell bottom pour Ladel. I have 2 RCBS lead pots, i think 10 pound capacity is all? They are awfully small little pots! Hopefully I’ll run across a Dutch Oven this Spring/Summer at a Garage/Estate sale, What do you guys use? And What is your heat source?

I use a small stainless pot from the kitchen, holds about 15# of lead. For the heat source it’s a camping stove that uses lantern fuel. Bottom pour ladle.

Which Ladle do you use? I really need to get my ladles out and give ladle Casting a try, i have a Lyman, and a Rowell bottom pour Ladel. I have 2 RCBS lead pots, i think 10 pound capacity is all? They are awfully small little pots! Hopefully I’ll run across a Dutch Oven this Spring/Summer at a Garage/Estate sale, What do you guys use? And What is your heat source?
Get a ladle with a nipple (for compression casting ) my heat is from a Lee pot 20lb/Ed

Ladles with the "spout" - RCBS and LYMAN - 10 pound adjustable temp electric pot. Son and friend melted expended bullets from indoor range (literally over a ton) on a turkey frying stove and cast-iron dutch oven, melted down to 5-pound ingots. Never had gang molds other than fishing ones. Small dippers work fine for me.

I use 2 ladles. The old style Lyman for my pressure casting and the RCBS ladle for my gang molds. Most of the time a Lee 20lb ladle pot heats thing up

I have used a RCBS ladle with the handle shortened for better control for over 40 years. It holds enough lead for me to cast 8-bore balls (875 grains).

Latest posts

Back