Help: Recommend a Turkey Shotgun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster Brown

Reaction score
Looking for some recommendations for a turkey hunting shotgun. Western public land hunting. I don’t frequent hunting-specific forums much, and I think I’ll get better advice from a fellow front-stuffer who also hunts turkeys.

I’ve decided on a 3 inch chamber, 12 gauge. Undecided on pump action or semi-auto. Restricted to 3 round magazine in my state.

Not looking for a no frills option, or top end either. Just a good mid, to upper mid-tier gun that is a good value for the money. Something like a CVA Optima. It’s not as nice as a Knight, or a Paramount, but it’s a lot of gun for the money (in my opinion).

Some sort of weather resistant coating or stainless would be nice.

Thanks for the input,

Buster

With the push into heavy tungsten payloads there is no longer any reason to get beat up with a 3 or 3.5" 12 gauge. Granted, the TSS loads are EXPENSIVE, but, after patterning, how many are you really going to shoot at feathers over a 10-year period? A good start would be a good American pump ( Remington 870 for instance) in 20 ga. with Apex or Burgess Creek ammo. It'll roll a gobbler farther than you should be shooting, won't kick you to death with a Remington R3 pad, and will be a pound lighter to hike in with. Good luck in the woods.

Mossberg 12 gauge pump gun is a no frills work horse.
I agree
I have a Mossberg 500 in 12 guage. You can get choke tubes if you want to increase your pattern density. Used it to kill a pile of geese.
For turkey I use a 1 7/8 oz load. Takes their head off if your too close. Shoot about 5 inches below the head at the neck for best effectiveness.

Personally I think any shotgun will kill a turkey. 20 guage included. Just buy the right ammo and be patient. So what I would do is buy a shotgun that you will likely use for other game. Then buy the appropriate ammo for turkey.

M500 is a very versatile shotgun. Ive got rifled slug barrels, smooth bore long and short barrels, even had a .50ML barrel for it at one time. They even made a stainless steel marine version.

I have a 590A1 for varmints. I do like the Mossberg tang safety over the cross bolt, so that’s a plus. Thanks for the info.

590a1 is as good as it gets imho, with the stronger barrel and you can add on a mag tube extension. Can't hurt that thing. Get an AR style adjustable stock and you're good to go. I have the Knoxx Blackhawk Specops gen2 recoil reducing stock and can shoot all day without a problem. I just ordered a second one (gen3) for my home defense m500. The same butt stock works on the 590, but the forestock wont fit cuz your barrels much thicker.

I like my Remington 870's with red dot scopes, paired with Winchester Long Beard XR ammo, it's a killer combo.
12 gauge top, 20 gauge on the bottom
W5oAWBA.jpg

So many people do not understand Shall not be infringed. It is a natural God Given right! I haven always figured that what ever cannon you have at your disposal is the proper one to slay a turkey with. It is my some what less than humble opinion the the 3" 3.5" chambered cannons only move you .25" or .75" closer to your target so why bother. Now any length chamber and or choke can give you very satisfactory patterns if you are willing to learn what it likes and needs to do just that. I and have used every thing from a 14 Ga Front stuffer to with no choke to brutal 10ga. Good luck!!

Ken

#Q, #17, #WWEG1WGA

My neighbor has a Stoeger M3000 auto that shoots 2 3/4” or 3”, it also has a nice camo finish that is weather proof, great gun for the money! I have a decent size hunting group with only 2 guys owning the same shotgun and I would give the nod to the Stoeger for best do everything gun and value per dollar. Gun should be around $550 with the camo finish.

I started hunting with pump guns, Win Model 12’s, had a Browning BPS at one point and then moved to autoloaders. I used a Remington 11/87 for many years, it was reliable with heavy loads and fairly reliable with target loads as long as you kept it clean. I bought a Benelli M2 ten years or so ago, I still haven’t taken it apart and cleaned it and I’m not going to until it malfunctions. That’s easily a thousand rounds of target and waterfowl ammo without a hiccup.

Last edited:
Good info, gents. Keep it coming!

If I were also going to try and hunt other birds (geese, ducks), would that change the recommendation. Is an auto-loader a big advantage when shooting them on the wing? I’m sure a purist would say it only helps if you miss with the first shot.

Just thinking About dipping my toes into the bird hunting, but I was just thinking about muzzleloading, and now I have 2 MLs.

I have an 89' Remington 870 in full camo. It is a NWTF gun from that year. I upgraded to a tighter choke tube (compnchoke) and the gun has fiber optic open sights. I once shot a Tom at fifty two yards with it. I sure like the idea of a reddot scope as per BuckDoeHunter. Especially true for older eyes.

An auto loader is definitely an advantage in wing shooting. You don’t see much but automatics and over/unders on skeet ranges or sporting clays courses, but it doesn’t much matter for turkey hunting.

If i were wing shooting i would probably go with an auto. That Benelli M2 sounds like a good one. A friend of mine has one and LOVEs it. Skeet and trap are all he shoots.

Mossberg 12 gauge pump gun is a no frills work horse.

I am with deermanok on the Mossberg 500 12 gauge pump. Mine is ancient. It is a Mossberg 500 but was a Western Auto REVOLATION model chambered 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells. It has the Poly Choke on the 20" barrel. I dont shoot magnums but do love high brass 12's. With a 4 power 42 mm scope and all camoed up i am good to go when i decide to go. It stays in full choke with six shells in buttstock holder year round. I traded a good bowie knife for this in early 80's.
DL

My neighbor has a Stoeger M3000 auto that shoots 2 3/4” or 3”, it also has a nice camo finish that is weather proof, great gun for the money! I have a decent size hunting group with only 2 guys owning the same shotgun and I would give the nod to the Stoeger for best do everything gun and value per dollar. Gun should be around $550 with the camo finish.
My Three grandsons each have the M3000 and love them.

Looking for some recommendations for a turkey hunting shotgun. Western public land hunting. I don’t frequent hunting-specific forums much, and I think I’ll get better advice from a fellow front-stuffer who also hunts turkeys.

I’ve decided on a 3 inch chamber, 12 gauge. Undecided on pump action or semi-auto. Restricted to 3 round magazine in my state.

Not looking for a no frills option, or top end either. Just a good mid, to upper mid-tier gun that is a good value for the money. Something like a CVA Optima. It’s not as nice as a Knight, or a Paramount, but it’s a lot of gun for the money (in my opinion).

Some sort of weather resistant coating or stainless would be nice.

Thanks for the input,

Buster
I am happy with my Mossberg 500 turkey special. It's just the right length for getting thru the woods without hanging the barrel on climbs and all camo helps with concealment. The 3X full choke helps hold a tight pattern out to 40 yards and it has a kick that makes one love the recoil pad on the butt when shooting 3" heavy turkey loads. In pattterning I have found Winchester turkey load in #5 shot to be the best for me.
I never liked the hi vis supplied sights so Mossberg supplied the Tru Glo red dot scope which is fine.
It also serves a 2nd purpose for me as a self defense weapon.

20160201_093146 (2).jpg

Just buy this one and be done with it. Holler at George at Trulock Choke Tubes and tell him you want the best tube for Federal TSS #7 shot. You won't believe how wicked this setup is... you'll never need more than 3" shells with it though.
Remington 870 SPS Super Mag ShurShot Turkey Pump-Action Shotgun
1619455196803.png1619455196803.png1619455196803.png

Back