Help: Recommend a Turkey Shotgun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first choice. JR Schultz custom 15" 45/410 Encore with HOA crusher loop grip. 0.39" ported choke. Good to 25 yds. 2nd choice if I need to reach out a bit more swap the 15" 410 for my 20" 20ga. Good to 40yrds. Patterns are the 410.

Attachments

• 20210421_074617.jpg
    20210421_074617.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210421_074259.jpg
    20210421_074259.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 9
I would agree with many on the REM 870 but the complete lack of parts since they currently are not producing firearms, yet, after the breakup/2nd bankruptcy/sale would lead me to shy away from any of their guns right now.

The moss berg pumps would be my choice for anyone on a budget, 2nd would be the Winchester SXP. For a little more a BPS would be good as well and ambidextrous as it has a tang safety, neutral cast and ejects out the bottom.

Thanks to all for the great info. Lot to digest and some great entertainment, too. Still marinating on my decision. Will borrow a buddies shotgun to get through the season. Then I can proceed a bit more methodically.

For not much more than $100 you can get an HR single shot in 12 gauge. Extremely fast on target, no frills, virtually indestructible, learn to shoot it and you’ll never need anything else. My other 3 scatter guns are a Remington 1100 12 gauge, an old Sears and Roebuck auto-loader 12 gauge that looks like it might have been made by Browning, father gave it to me, and a Winchester Ranger pump 20 gauge. If I’m shooting clay pigeons, I’ll take the H&R, I can hit those things before they get 20’ out of the thrower. Ducks and geese, I’ll take the Remington, just for the chance at a double. Never shot one at a turkey.

I've shot a few of those single shot 12 gauge's and I think the recoil from all of them was more that 300win mag. I think the stocks are to straight.

I think you might be onto something , this full choke10 ga is going out the door now but I sit forward and never lean back into the tree . 1st time was the last time many yrs ago ,me and the turkey got hammered ! /Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0690[1].JPG
    IMG_0690[1].JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 5
I own a Browning BPS Field 12 Gauge, Carlson Long Beard XR extended Turkey choke tube, Fiochi 1-1/4 Oz No. 6, DEADLY On Turkey!! Almost feels like cheating :)

If you want something REALLY cool, You could use an Old Underhammer, These things are in a Different league of Cool :lewis:

I just recently acquired this one, I love it!
5Pu0AC1.jpg

I've shot a few of those single shot 12 gauge's and I think the recoil from all of them was more that 300win mag. I think the stocks are to straight.
I took so many shots at doves one day when I was younger, I had a massive bruise starting and I couldn’t stand one more shot, next dove that flew by I shot left handed at. Bad mistake. I was no where near ready for that punishment...

I started out with a .410 single shot. My cousin had a 20 Gauge single shot and in the interest of more power I asked to try it out. Even a single 20 gauge kicks more than it should.

I did a number on a coyote the other day with my Mossberg turkey special in the 70-80 yard range with a turkey load thru a 3x choke. The load knocked him down.

My preference is a Remington 1187 Special Purpose 3.5" Super Magnum with Federal Premium #5 Hevi shot thru a Remington X-Full Turkey choke. A 55 yd turkey gun!!!! I have the same model in 3", but don't hunt turkeys with it because I have the 3.5". These guns replaced my 3' 870 Special Purpose Remington that I shot so much It wore out. My brother shot a Benelli Super Black Eagle , 3.5", with an xtra full choke and the same cartridges. Lotsa dead birds with that setup too. He now shoots something newer, a Beretta, after giving the Benelli to his son, And the 3.5" Beretta shoots turkeys (and ducks) real well too.

I have shot just everything 3.5" - 3" & 2.75" loads 12ga to now a .410 ga. , Timber and open terrain ever scene I started Turkey hunting. IMHO with the New TSS loads now that are out you Don't need anything Large than a 20ga with a good load of 3" 1 5/8 oz payload of #9 or #9.5 TSS and a NEW Stevens 301 Turkey shotgun with a Pattern Master Cold Black Turkey .565 choke. Topped with a Holo Sun green dot optic Or if you want go with a no frills work horse a Mossberg 500 20ga 26" barrel same choke and sight same load and with either set up you will have a great gun for life. I got rid of all my 12ga and now own only 2- 20ga and 1- .410 , 1 Mossberg 500 and 2 Stevens 301 and SO happy I did , will never go back to a 12ga again.

I am using my all purpose gun. A Beretta A400 28 gauge with 28” barrel. It is light as a feather to carry and with the 7/8 oz #9 1/2 TSS load it will flatten Turkeys to 50 yards if needed. I have been using a Franchi 48 and a Yildiz O/U both in 28 gauge with the same load. I am a believer in the TSS in small gauges. The 28 is about perfect and although the TSS loads will surprise you with the recoil in the featherlight guns after shooting light bird loads it is no where near what a 3 inch Turkey load in an 870 has. I haven’t tried the .410 just because I love the 28 so much.

My grandson just purchased the Savage Stevens Model 301 Turkey .410 shotgun. He mounted some red dot sight on it and loves it. He has yet to harvest a Turkey with it but with the Tungsten Steel Shot is quite confident from the patterns he's been getting, it will do its job.

Back