Help with my first SML (TC encore conversion)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoVa

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first post here. I would like to get a smokeless muzzleloader for hunting whitetail deer and maybe black bear in south central Virginia shots will be 200 yards at max. I would like to do Thompson Center Encore with a 18'' SSK barrel then send it off to have the smokeless conversion done. I was looking at Hankins and Arrowhead but discovered today that Arrowhead doesn't do conversions they just sell the brux barrels that are all ready to go when you order, I have not heard back from Hankins after emailing them a few days ago which leads me too my questions.

If you have used Hankins how was your experience and the workmanship?
Are there other companies I should look into?
What are common lead times?
What all accessories will I need to buy in addition to the chamber plug adapter?

I also attached the barrel I want to use, I know this is an uncommon length for a ML but it is pretty common for the 45-70, being a tree stand hunter I prefer the shorter more handy rifles, I also like that this barrel comes with a pretty standard thread pitch that would allow me to use a QD mount/brake and attach my silencerco hybrid suppressor if I decide the juice is worth the squeeze to take it on and off to load, is anyone else using a suppressor on their SML? thoughts there?

thanks for all of your input!

Attachments

• IMG_2261.png
    IMG_2261.png
    365.3 KB · Views: 0
Arrowhead. Finish it off by installing a lighter trigger spring, HD locking lug spring, HD firing pin spring and the 51# hammer spring from Mike Bellm. You won't believe what you'll end up with.

From what I have seen they don’t offer a barrel that’s really what I want.

That has always been a gun I would like to have converted to sml.But have not been able to find one.

I had no idea until yesterday that TC had went out of business so this project is starting to look more expensive or I will just have to be patient and catch the right deal.

I had no idea until yesterday that TC had went out of business so this project is starting to look more expensive or I will just have to be patient and catch the right deal.
Their value/cost has gone up significantly since the announcement from S&W that they were divesting the company. Best place to find them for reasonable cost is on Mewe, Gunbroker prices are insane.

You did give me the idea to reach out to arrowhead and see if they would cut one of their brux barrels down and rethread it, that would be perfect.
Good luck getting him to deviate from what currently offers.I would look into my bullet choices for hunting, especially close shots.I have Over $4k in mine and I haven't found the right hunting bullet yet.Plenty of target and long range bullets but hunting up close and personal seems to be a limited option. That's a problem for me!

Good luck getting him to deviate from what currently offers.I would look into my bullet choices for hunting, especially close shots.I have Over $4k in mine and I haven't found the right hunting bullet yet.Plenty of target and long range bullets but hunting up close and personal seems to be a limited option. That's a problem for me!
XTP's will work for close range.

I shot them for years in my first ML.I hunt the Midwest so I need both long range accuracy and lethal at short and long range. I never got XTPs to shoot accurate long range. I went smokeless to shoot bore riders. I only shoot Barnes in my centerfire from 270 up to 30-378 Weatherby .Ive shot bonded Shockwave in my muzzleloaders. I don't think I can get the accuracy from them out of my smokeless encore. I'm looking at Pittman hardcore.Hopefully I can find a borerider to perform all the way around like Barnes do.

Latest posts

Back