Help With My New Tominator

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So... I just started hunting this past year. I started off with a .50 caliber CVA Accura V2 Long Range. And got my first doe during the muzzleloader season here in Massachusetts.
I decided I wanted to do some turkey hunting this spring. But Massachusetts law states you can't hunt with a muzzleloader rifle. It has to be smooth bore. So I bought a 12 gauge Ray Eye Signature Series Tominator from a fellow member on this site. It says it'll be delivered on Friday, but USPS is way behind on delivery, so we'll see.
I'm looking to mount a scope on my new Tominator. But all the pictures I've seen, have the scope mounted over the breech. And it looks like it would be a pain to remove the breech plug to clean it, unless you remove the scope first. Which I'd like to avoid. Can anyone help me out and give me some advice as to what scope mounts to use? As well as what a decent, inexpensive scope would be to use? I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Attachments

• 20210120_200509.jpg
    20210120_200509.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 20
To each his own but IMO with a nice vent rib barrel and a 40 yard range why would you want a scope? Just a suggestion, when your shot gun arrives, get familiar with guns particulars like disassembly, cleaning, loading, and maybe do a bit of patterning before you think of optics. I know some guys put red dot type optics on turkey guns, but I'm not sure if that shot gun is drilled and tapped for a scope. Shoot it, get used to it, then decide if optics are necessary. Might save you some money. If it is scope ready, I'm sure guys here will give you some choices for optics and mounts.

Thanks! That is why I posted in the DWB section here. The gun is already drilled and tapped from the factory. I hunt in a very thickly wooded area. And will be hunting from my tree stand. The shooting rail is about 16 feet off the ground. The doe I got back in December was about 60 yards out. And that will probably be my absolute max distance for hunting turkey with the Tominator. I'm looking forward to shooting the Tominator. But I probably won't get a chance to shoot it for a couple months. I belong to a local Sportsmen's club here in Massachusetts. But their outdoor range is closed during the winter months for safety reasons. I'm just looking to have everything ready to go, for when I am able to shoot it. I don't want to be scrambling last minute for turkey season, when the prices for everything are jacked up. This seems to be the best time to buy hunting gear. After the fall deer season and before the spring turkey season.

fishhawk2700 gave you great advise! I have the White Thunder shotgun, basically the same as the Tominator, with myrtle wood stock. Yes, you can put a scope on these shotguns. If you did there wouldn't be any problem removing the breech plug an hammer, etc. due to the scope they come out from the back of the breech.
I use mine for squirrels with the XFull choke, a squirrel can't hide if I do my part. I haven't taken mine out for turkey, they are not plentiful here, but I might try it someday. A 60 yd shot at a turkey is a long shot, probably doable with the Tominator. I have taken squirrels out to 30yds with my Thunder. I don't have a scope on mine an prefer the open rib vent barrel. These shotguns are super easy to clean. I use triple 7 2Fg mainly, but 3Fg works too.

Thank you! I appreciate the advice. And it's definitely something to think about. I was hoping to hear from some members that have put a scope on their Tominator. And hear the pros and cons of having the scope on and what type of mount they used. Everyone has their own personal preference. And I'm looking to gather as much information on it as possible, so I can weigh all the information and make the best decision for myself. I've been trying to find the information myself. But I haven't really been able to find the specific information that I'm looking for. At most I've found people saying that they've put X scope on it, without mentioning the mount they used. Or any pros and/or cons they've come across by putting a scope on it. And it's hard to tell from pictures alone. So that's why I'm posting here.

Thank you! I appreciate the advice. And it's definitely something to think about. I was hoping to hear from some members that have put a scope on their Tominator. And hear the pros and cons of having the scope on and what type of mount they used. Everyone has their own personal preference. And I'm looking to gather as much information on it as possible, so I can weigh all the information and make the best decision for myself. I've been trying to find the information myself. But I haven't really been able to find the specific information that I'm looking for. At most I've found people saying that they've put X scope on it, without mentioning the mount they used. Or any pros and/or cons they've come across by putting a scope on it. And it's hard to tell from pictures alone. So that's why I'm posting here.
Look into a red dot ,The Venom I just got is fast and great for my less than steller vision and turkeys are the perfect target (periferal vision) is improved at least for me/Ed

Look into a red dot
Ed is spot on. Get a picatinny rail made for that gun - it's a cross-slotted mount for optics. Torque it down about 25 in/lbs to the receiver. Then get a red dot sight as Ed mentioned above. The Vortex Venom Ed has is a great optic. You could also check into a Sig Romeo5. I've talked about them here before. I've subjected Romeo5s to more abuse than Bing Crosby's kids, and they stand up.

The red dot will mount directly to the pic rail. Set the sight, and push it as far forward in the cross-slot as it will go. Torque it down about 20-25 in/lbs. Now, if you need to remove the optic to clean the gun, put it back in the same cross-slot, torque it back to the same spec, and it'll return to zero.

Wheeler Engineering makes a decent Torque driver called 'The Fat Wrench'. It's not expensive, and it'll help you stay on spec for torque. Biggest mistake people make in mounting optics is they wrench those guys down tighter than Kelsey's Nuts, and jack up their gear.

Next, load up with a handful of gravel, using leaves and twigs as buffer, and go git'cha one a' them birds!!

(That last part was NOT good advice - but I can't be too serious... These guys will tell you)

I was actually thinking about putting a red dot on it. Considering they're much shorter than a traditional scope. Which still raises my question as to what type of mount will fit on the back end. I don't really want to cover the top of the breech with a full length picatinny rail, so I can still have have full access to the breech plug. I'm still hoping to hear from fellow Tominator owners. And hear what they've put on theirs. I really appreciate all the advice. Except for loading it up with gravel, leaves and twigs. Although I did get a good chuckle out of it. LOL

I have seen Tominators with a scope on them. But as you can see... It covers the breech. Which is why I was thinking about putting a red dot on mine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210121-120533_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210121-120533_Samsung Internet.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 16
I sent Doc an email. He usually takes a bit to get back though. I had emailed him before about buying a Tominator from him. And before we could work out a deal, I stumbled across the one l bought, for a lot less than what he was asking for his.

So I spoke with Doc and he said he had a Warne base that will fit on the back end. So I purchased it and he's sending it out soon. Now... I'm not familiar with the Warne base. Does anyone know what type of red dot sight would fit on the Warne base? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The Warne base will accept all weaver style rings (most common ring style made by just about every company) Make sure you glass bed the recoil lug prior to shooting or the potential to bend the lug and crack the stock exists with heavy turkey loads. Members on here or Doc can help you with that.

Thank you! I was looking at red dot sights, just because I'll be shooting at 50 yards or closer and don't really need the magnification. And figured it'll be easier to locate the target faster than a scope with magnification. And most of them attach right to the rail. So you think a red dot sight with a weaver rail will mount directly to the rail?

Thanks! That is why I posted in the DWB section here. The gun is already drilled and tapped from the factory. I hunt in a very thickly wooded area. And will be hunting from my tree stand. The shooting rail is about 16 feet off the ground. The doe I got back in December was about 60 yards out. And that will probably be my absolute max distance for hunting turkey with the Tominator. I'm looking forward to shooting the Tominator. But I probably won't get a chance to shoot it for a couple months. I belong to a local Sportsmen's club here in Massachusetts. But their outdoor range is closed during the winter months for safety reasons. I'm just looking to have everything ready to go, for when I am able to shoot it. I don't want to be scrambling last minute for turkey season, when the prices for everything are jacked up. This seems to be the best time to buy hunting gear. After the fall deer season and before the spring turkey season.
Ah, in my humble opinion you will live a long time if you never hunt turkeys from a tree stand. Please let me tell you of one instance specifically I was taking my cousin (an attorney) hunting turkeys in the fall. We were walking together each of had a 12 ga auto loaded with 3" copper #4 shot. As we were walking up to a hill (he was on my right) he stopped, raised his gun and shot quickly up to a a large tree about 40 yds away. "BooooM" What are you shooting at I asked? ..."Oh, there was a big brown spot up in that tree. I thought it was a turkey" , he said. I thought what??@***$$ Its still bow season I said it could have been a bow hunter.!!

This is only one story. I have had a number of these, including hunters sneaking up behind me on my own posted land, and in front of me too. Thinking I was a turkey calling too.

This is my tree stand. I used it for this past deer hunting season. The small area I hunt is private property and haven't seen anyone the entire time I was out there. And I was out there almost every day during the deer hunting season. There is no mistaking me for a turkey. Even for any first time hunters. The shooting rail is 16' high. And it's in a small clearing, surrounded by thickly wooded areas with no walking trails. The land lot that is next to the land I hunt is all posted for no hunting and no trespassing. If someone is going to shoot at me in my tree stand, they must want ME dead! LMFAO

Attachments

• 20200927_174951.jpg
    20200927_174951.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 10
There are an awful lot of people shot on the ground during Turkey season. In Florida it is illegal to shoot a Turkey on the roost. If someone is dumb enough or careless enough to shoot you in a tree they would shoot you on the ground

Back