help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvu4u2

Reaction score
I would like to request some advice, generally not needed on forums. LOL.

I hunt with an in-line, CVA Mag Hunter, .45 caliber. Well, Power Belt has decided to discontinue the .45, yellow disc, bullets entirely. Not sure why, as they are producing more and more .45 calibers every year now.

Well, I would like to find a bullet that is comparable to the PB. I would like to stay away from sabots and actually would love to get away from the plastic all together.

I have searched and searched for days, and really have not came up with much, I DO NOT WANT TO USE THE ELRs.

Thanks for any information.

You might look at Track of the Wolf Muzzleloading.
They sell a couple of lead 45 caliber bullets.
The 45 caliber Thompson Center Maxi Hunters, 245 grain bullets are pretty good.

No Excuses Bullets has full bore lead conicals in .45 cal that come in 385, 460 and 495 grain.
They also have saboted .45 cal bullet as well. Those are available in 175, 200, 225 and 250 grains.

You may also want to check with Bullshop bullets. They sell .45 cal conicals as well.

You might look at Track of the Wolf Muzzleloading.
They sell a couple of lead 45 caliber bullets.
The 45 caliber Thompson Center Maxi Hunters, 245 grain bullets are pretty good.
I looked it up. Gone.

Think I might go the route of Dixie Gun works. BA 1003 Dixie Cast Maxi Bullets and get a Thompson pre-luber from ebay.

Got some good suggestions

No Excuses Bullets has full bore lead conicals in .45 cal that come in 385, 460 and 495 grain.
They also have saboted .45 cal bullet as well. Those are available in 175, 200, 225 and 250 grains.

You may also want to check with Bullshop bullets. They sell .45 cal conicals as well.
On the no excuses, i guess that blue stuff is the lube?

“The No excuses is making me think.”
I wish they made a 420gr and maybe something a little lighter too. Maybe 340-350gr.
I would like to request some advice, generally not needed on forums. LOL.

I hunt with an in-line, CVA Mag Hunter, .45 caliber. Well, Power Belt has decided to discontinue the .45, yellow disc, bullets entirely. Not sure why, as they are producing more and more .45 calibers every year now.

Well, I would like to find a bullet that is comparable to the PB. I would like to stay away from sabots and actually would love to get away from the plastic all together.

I have searched and searched for days, and really have not came up with much, I DO NOT WANT TO USE THE ELRs.

Thanks for any information.
Question: has anyone ever experimented with taking a 50 cal sabot that is .452 bullet, like the Hornady SST-ML Low Drag Sabots and just use the bullet in. .45 caliber in line?

Ive shot the TC cheap shots and the Hornady SST & XTP bullets sabotless. They do fine when sized properly, and with a wad or card, but i do prefer a better cast lead bullet like NE or my own castings.

Ive shot the TC cheap shots and the Hornady SST & XTP bullets sabotless. They do fine when sized properly, and with a wad or card, but i do prefer a better cast lead bullet like NE or my own castings.
So you cant just load the bullet against the powder?

As I have a .45. Trying to see what I can and cant use

So you cant just load the bullet against the powder?
Yes, for sure you can. And they will shoot fine. I find a wad helps with accuracy tho. Also i like a little different weight and profile. Mainly for hunting. Jacketed bullets arent usually heavy enough for me. Also they are usually designed for a little more velocity than i shoot to.

Yes, for sure you can. And they will shoot fine. I find a wad helps with accuracy tho. Also i like a little different weight and profile. Mainly for hunting. Jacketed bullets arent usually heavy enough for me. Also they are usually designed for a little more velocity than i shoot to.
Thanks. I am a BIG OVERTHINKER. Lol.

Thanks everyone. I like life and really have no intention to hurt myself. Lol

On the no excuses, i guess that blue stuff is the lube?
Yes, the blue stuff is the lube on the bullets. It helps reduce leading in the
bore and I think it also helps keep the powder fouling soft so it's easier to clean out. No Excuses makes awesome shooting bullets. Shot this group the other day at 50 yards with
my CVA Wolf (.50 cal) using 70 grains of pyrodex, .54 cal wool wad, and the NE 420.
20221211_160045.jpg

The oversized .54 wool wad helps with accuracy too by keeping the hot gases from the powder from melting the bullet. If there is a down side to the NE conicals (or any heavy conical)it's they are not very flat shooting past 100 yards so you have to do some shooting to know your drops. Don't know if that is what you are looking for or you want something lighter and flatter shooting.

Yes, the blue stuff is the lube on the bullets. It helps reduce leading in the
bore and I think it also helps keep the powder fouling soft so it's easier to clean out. No Excuses makes awesome shooting bullets. Shot this group the other day at 50 yards with
my CVA Wolf (.50 cal) using 70 grains of pyrodex, .54 cal wool wad, and the NE 420.
View attachment 30002

The oversized .54 wool wad helps with accuracy too by keeping the hot gases from the powder from melting the bullet. If there is a down side to the NE conicals (or any heavy conical)it's they are not very flat shooting past 100 yards so you have to do some shooting to know your drops. Don't know if that is what you are looking for or you want something lighter and flatter shooting.

Latest posts

Back