Heritage single action revolver possible issue?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
Hi everyone recently I purchased a heritage revolver in addition to another gun that I was actually there to purchase.

The heritage was on sale it was chambered in 22 and it looked like a fun little plinker so I figured why not.

I'm relatively new to revolvers but I understand the importance of them being locked into place once fully cocked.

I also own a pieta and cap and ball revolver. When I take my pieta into a full cocked fire ready position there is absolutely no movement of the cylinder.

However on the heritage revolver there is a little bit of side to side play fully cocked. To show you the extent of the movement I've created a YouTube video on my channel. have a look and tell me what you think and the last thing that I want is this thing blowing up in my hands potentially injuring myself or other people at the range.

It may be normal for a revolver especially if this caliber I just don't have enough experience with the revolvers and that's why I am deferring to the community here.

please take a quick look at the video below by clicking the link and let me know what you think. is it worthy of warranty repair?

Hertige revolver with possible issues?

Pull the trigger, it should decrease movement.

Thank you for the promt response.

I went ahead and took out the rounds and dropped the safety to the fire position allowing the hammer to fall fully onto the firing pin.

While the hammer is rested on the firing pin as though it has been fired I still experience the same amount of movement.

So far I put about 50 rounds through it and haven't had an issue. Still a little concerning that the cylinder moves that much.

Try this cock hammer, pull trigger, with trigger in fired position check for movement, it should decrease movement.

Try this cock hammer, pull trigger, with trigger in fired position check for movement, it should decrease movement.

I will give that a try next time I go to the range. I don't want to dry fire it with the safety off.

When the hammer is fully seated on the pin I do still feel movement. When pressing the hammer down in that rested position it pushes the pin out and into the cylinder as it should.

However there is no decrease in side to side play.

Thanks for helping. I will update after I fire a round and try again.

At home use snap caps or fired 22 casings to dry fire the revolver. I should have mentioned this previously.

At home use snap caps or fired 22 casings to dry fire the revolver. I should have mentioned this previously.

No problem I kind of knew that you're not supposed to dry fire rimfire weapons I don't know if that applies to revolvers as well I just didn't want to chance it.

Someone did leave an interesting comment and I can't believe that I didn't notice but when you take out the cylinder and you look at the actual hole on the end of the barrel it's much larger than a 22 in other words it's chamfered.

so I think I have a non-issue once again I'm probably looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

Just to be safe though I'm going to shoot heritage an email to make sure that it's okay and also to ask because it is such a Stark contrast between the diameter of the 22 and the actual opening at the end of the barrel I assume that the lead is being swaged in there. for that I'd like to know if I need to run lead only ammo or if I can run the copper jacketed hollow points that I do have.

We have a heritage revolver and there is but if play with the cylinders. Ours you can either shoot LR or WMR two different cylinders, same barrel. So that may also explain the larger sizing. Pretty sure they use the the same barrel on all the revolvers. We’ve owned this gun since new and have put thousands of LR through it and close to a thousand rounds of WMR. Both my boys learned to shoot pistols with this gun. I carry it during snake season with WMR shot shells when we hike.

We have a heritage revolver and there is but if play with the cylinders. Ours you can either shoot LR or WMR two different cylinders, same barrel. So that may also explain the larger sizing. Pretty sure they use the the same barrel on all the revolvers. We’ve owned this gun since new and have put thousands of LR through it and close to a thousand rounds of WMR. Both my boys learned to shoot pistols with this gun. I carry it during snake season with WMR shot shells when we hike.

That's really good to hear makes me feel better.

Question for you though what do you think of the accuracy? And have you ever tried to use the .22 shot loads in it?

Overall I think it's pretty cool for a single action definitely and for the price.

That's really good to hear makes me feel better.

Question for you though what do you think of the accuracy? And have you ever tried to use the .22 shot loads in it?

Overall I think it's pretty cool for a single action definitely and for the price.

it’s an accurate shooting gun with both the LR ammo and the WMR. You can plink a can or 3” plate all day long at 10-20 yards using LR.

Yes as mentioned in my original post I carry WMR shot shells (CCI) in it when hiking.Shooting at paper, the spread at 10 yards is about 12”-18”.

Latest posts

Back