Hodgdon Triple 8

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregK

Reaction score
I contacted the company about the new Triple 8 powder they’re loading in the Federal Firestik as to when it might be available for purchase. Here’s their response.

Triple 8 powder is not scheduled to be released in any firm other than Federals ignition system.

Sorry for the change in wording in the above paragraph but I had to take down the specific quote after I went back and re-read the email and noticed that it has been sent as confidential and not for public display.

Greg

Last edited:
Red (cough) Powder (cough) Project (cough cough)

No plans until the NitroWizBang whatever flops and they cant sell FiddleSticks :p

I would love to see one cut open and the powder weighed then measured. Sure sounds like smokeless to me and they want it under the radar.

Lol, probably.... there was hardly any smoke in video.

So much for Hodgdon having their ducks in a row . Another thread has Chris Hodgdon saying not yet at Shot Show......

I just read this, source is TB
Note: Hodgdon has granted an exclusivity to Federal and Traditions for their new nitrocellulose based Triple Eight powder for one year to get the NitroFire and FireStick concept off the ground. Based on what I was told, Hodgdon will officially introduce it on the market next year.

I just read this, source is TB
Note: Hodgdon has granted an exclusivity to Federal and Traditions for their new nitrocellulose based Triple Eight powder for one year to get the NitroFire and FireStick concept off the ground. Based on what I was told, Hodgdon will officially introduce it on the market next year.
You know it would be nice if there was ONE ANSWER released . Im gettin sea sick rideing all the ups and downs of this . Hodgdon has apparently hired a " Carnie" to be in charge of public relations and annoucements ......

"Sure sounds like smokeless to me and they want it under the radar." - GM54 120

I agree, and am not looking for an argument..

However I also wonder isn't that the same with BH209? My only answer is that BH209 an attempt at volumetric equivalency to black powder in a pressure curve similar to black powder... and we don't really know anything technical about 888 yet. Unless I'm missing something.

"Sure sounds like smokeless to me and they want it under the radar." - GM54 120

I agree, and am not looking for an argument..

However I also wonder isn't that the same with BH209? My only answer is that BH209 an attempt at volumetric equivalency to black powder in a pressure curve similar to black powder... and we don't really know anything technical about 888 yet. Unless I'm missing something.
Nothing youve missed . Glad you said it . Bh209 is exactly that . Hopefully 888 will be too but doesnt sound like it is being a somewhat cleaner T7 , as claimed . Actually iirc Trail Boss was said before somewhere to be nearly identical to bh209 . IDK if thats true or not ???

They confirmed its nitro based but nitrated semi smokeless powders have been around for over 100 years. It was only replaced. BH209's SDS is clear. The main ingredient is nitrate esters. It was even illegal to use in Florida for many years.

At Shot Show 2020 last week, I spoke with Chris Hodgdon off camera. He essentially said that his lips were sealed regarding Triple 8 powder.

I have been producing videos for Hodgdon Powder since 2015. I am excited to try the new powder. And I will probably be one of the first media folks to test it before it becomes available to the general public.

Back when CFEBLK was first introduced, Chris had sent me pre production powder a few months before it hit the dealer's shelves.

I knew it was only a matter of time..

At Shot Show 2020 last week, I spoke with Chris Hodgdon off camera. He essentially said that his lips were sealed regarding Triple 8 powder.

I have been producing videos for Hodgdon Powder since 2015. I am excited to try the new powder. And I will probably be one of the first media folks to test it before it becomes available to the general public.

Back when CFEBLK was first introduced, Chris had sent me pre production powder a few months before it hit the dealer's shelves.

I knew it was only a matter of time..
So there is hope, sounds good can’t wait

So there is hope, sounds good can’t wait

Yes, I think that Federal DICTATED to Hodgdon and Traditions to keep it a Federal development.

If I may look into my crystal ball, when Triple 8 is made available, I could see folks using their own "firesticks" with their own reloads.

Yes, I think that Federal DICTATED to Hodgdon and Traditions to keep it a Federal development.

If I may look into my crystal ball, when Triple 8 is made available, I could see folks using their own "firesticks" with their own reloads.
Some will anyway . At $2.70 ea who could blame them ??? That rifle and the fiddlesticks arent very appealing around here . Not seen as a true muzzleloader but seen as propritory scam . No Thanks !!!!!

Some will anyway . At $2.70 ea who could blame them ??? That rifle and the fiddlesticks arent very appealing around here . Not seen as a true muzzleloader but seen as propritory scam . No Thanks !!!!!

Copy that.

I was surprised with Hodgdon's reaction. Seriously it doesn't surprise me that Federal Cartridge would want (greed) this as a proprietary technology.

Copy that.

I was surprised with Hodgdon's reaction. Seriously it doesn't surprise me that Federal Cartridge would want (greed) this as a proprietary technology.
Yep greed . Glad you can spell ....lol

They confirmed its nitro based but nitrated semi smokeless powders have been around for over 100 years. It was only replaced. BH209's SDS is clear. The main ingredient is nitrate esters. It was even illegal to use in Florida for many years.
I’ve checked the volume with Pryodex and is about 50 grains. I filled it to where the factory did. DO NOT WANT TO SHOOT IT just curious. so far not impressed with cost or accuracy. After 30 shots at 100 yards was shooting 2” groups only to be ruined by flyers of more than 8”. Probably happened 9 or 10 times.

I’ve checked the volume with Pryodex and is about 50 grains. I filled it to where the factory did. DO NOT WANT TO SHOOT IT just curious. so far not impressed with cost or accuracy. After 30 shots at 100 yards was shooting 2” groups only to be ruined by flyers of more than 8”. Probably happened 9 or 10 times.

Hi Tailwind and welcome.

This is probably a case of "Your Milage May Vary"...but I picked up a used Nitrofire about five weeks ago, basically because it was the only inline ML left on the rack at my LGS and there was only 10 days left in the Southern Maine season. Got a modestly priced 3x9 scope installed and bore sighted and after spending a day tracking down the powder sticks, headed to my buddies backyard 75 yard range. Off the bench, settled in on the sandbags, nine shots later it was <1" group of 3 shots. Didn't experience any flyers. The tenth shot 3 hunting days later was taken by my son freehand (first time he had shot the gun) and dropped a decent doe in it's tracks at 85 yards. He's the guy smiling in my picture.
I very much agree with you about not being impressed with the cost, $32/10 powder cartridges.

Back