Hodgdon

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Word has it that Hodgdon is coming out with a new muzzleloader propellant. Evidently they will premier it at the Shot Show.

Anyone else heard ?

Word has it that Hodgdon is coming out with a new muzzleloader propellant. Evidently they will premier it at the Shot Show.

Anyone else heard ?
Really.......What all DID you hear about that.......

He's gonna wait till theres a bunch of us gathered around...shhh....dont let him know we know his tatics....:p
Actually...……… If I knew much more I'd have mentioned it :cool:
I've been attempting like heck to find the site again where it was mentioned. IIRC it may be a nitro included propellant. Which if that's the case, they're wanting to compete with BH209??

Actually...……… If I knew much more I'd have mentioned it :cool:
I've been attempting like heck to find the site again where it was mentioned. IIRC it may be a nitro included propellant. Which if that's the case, they're wanting to compete with BH209??
All taffy tuggin aside....:D......that makes sense !!! Theyve enjoyed the bulk of the market for years and Dont like sharing it !!!! Cool ....powder wars !!!

All taffy tuggin aside....:D......that makes sense !!! Theyve enjoyed the bulk of the market for years and Dont like sharing it !!!! Cool ....powder wars !!!
Now all we need is some 45/40 sabot wars......

It would be foolish of them not to come out with a powder to compete with BH209 and honestly I’m surprised they haven’t come up with one yet.
In a perfect world it truly is a non-corrosive BP sub. Then I could get the 700 UML I’ve wanted without having to give up the benefits of smokeless.

Its been rumored that Hodgdon was approached with this idea many many years ago. Ive also heard that they had a chance to produce BH209 but chose not to do it.

Depends on what story you believe but they had talks with Tony Knight about producing a real no corrosive propellant. They did not want it to impact Pyrodex sales. The rumor says it was called Red Powder Project.
http://randywakeman.com/On_the_History_and_Future_of_Smokeless_Muzzleloading.htm
The “Red Powder Project” was the idea of using a specific smokeless powder in Knight Rifles designed for its use. As folks have the idea that “black powder” means a whole variety of things, Hodgdon noted that powder can be offered in any color you'd ever want. By offering a smokeless powder that was red, there would be no chance for confusion. You just use prescribed amounts of red smokeless powder in red powder rated rifles only, and that was it. The “Red Powder Project” never became a commercial reality for several reasons, one being the immense popularity and profitability of pellets. There is little motivation to compete with and obsolete your own product, so Hodgdon can hardly be blamed for the path they took.

Its been rumored that Hodgdon was approached with this idea many many years ago. Ive also heard that they had a chance to produce BH209 but chose not to do it.

Depends on what story you believe but they had talks with Tony Knight about producing a real no corrosive propellant. They did not want it to impact Pyrodex sales. The rumor says it was called Red Powder Project.
http://randywakeman.com/On_the_History_and_Future_of_Smokeless_Muzzleloading.htm
Damn bean counters......

I hope they do, if for no other reason than some healthy competition. The price of blackhorn has gotten higher than the benefits for me, and I've gone back to 777.

But man if the price came down I'd love to go back, I hate the crud ring.

I hope they do, if for no other reason than some healthy competition. The price of blackhorn has gotten higher than the benefits for me, and I've gone back to 777.

But man if the price came down I'd love to go back, I hate the crud ring.
I have to admit I like 777 , very cost effective, but that crud ring does suck,777 primers help some, but they are expensive

I have to admit I like 777 , very cost effective, but that crud ring does suck,777 primers help some, but they are expensive
I remember when tbe development costs a price tag didnt reflect . Today not only is it a write off we pay for it too . Smokeless is lookin better i gotta say.....

Not allowed in my state or I would try one
Michigan either but i shoot something all year . Many times ive wished it could be a mz . My white and my 700ml will both be bullet to bore this year at least . Sml will come .

Michigan either but i shoot something all year . Many times ive wished it could be a mz . My white and my 700ml will both be bullet to bore this year at least . Sml will come .
Part of me hopes we don’t because that would make me spend a bunch more money, frankly I have to many guns, my problem is I always like to try different stuff and I don’t like to part with what I have . I have been giving my son a few lately

Back