Hodgdon

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Part of me hopes we don’t because that would make me spend a bunch more money, frankly I have to many guns, my problem is I always like to try different stuff and I don’t like to part with what I have . I have been giving my son a few lately
I hear ya . Im gonna do a switch barrel rig for the 700ml , a 54 , a 50 and either a 45 or a 40 . West Texas Ordinance lug . Very nice very easy .

Last edited:
It's about time! With these newer high performance fast twist .45 calibers that can handle super Magnum charges, and Hodgdon still stuck on the 2 pellet maximum charge.

Nito is going to the SHOT, maybe he'll drop by the Hodgdon/IMR display? He always has several irons in the fire, and it's a BIG show though.

CVA has been in bed with Hodgdon/IMR White Hots for at least 10 years. Western Powders/Blackhorn 209 has been slowly boiling Hodgdon/IMR's frog for the last 12 years. When CVA introduced the .45 caliber Paramount last year, and announced 2 new Paramount Pro's in both .45 and .50 calibers for 2020, it had to push them over the edge.

Before they would have been competing with themselves, but every year for the last 12, Blackhorn 209 has been eating more and more of their lunch. Now they are enjoying their dessert as well, and with only one line of BP Substitute.

It can't be cost effective to have so many lines of BP Subs to market and manufacture.

Pyrodex RS, P, Select.
Pyrodex Pellets, .45 , .50, .54 cal in several grain equivalents.
Triple Se7en FFg, FFFg.
Triple Se7en Pellets for several caliber and grain equivalents.
Triple Se7en Magnum Pellets.
Triple Se7en Fire-Star Pellets.
IMR White Hots.
Alliant Blue MZ Pellets.

Not to mention all of their Holy Black Powder lines.

Goex Canon, Fg, FFg, FFFg, FFFFg.
Olde Eynsford 1F, 1.5F, 2F, 3F.
Reenactor.

That's a whole lotta SKU's, just for muzzleloading.

Did some digging and found this so far...

Traditions Firearms NitroFire Muzzleloader
Traditions NitroFire Muzzleloader
At the SHOT Show 2020, Traditions Firearmspulled the cover off of the new NitroFire muzzleloader. With this gun, Traditions proclaimed “We’ve changed muzzleloading forever.”

Traditions partnered with Federal Premium and Hodgdon Powder to create the Firestick: an encapsulated polymer charge that uses the Triple Eight powder from Hogdon. As a shooter, you load the bullet from the muzzle and then slide one Firestick in through the breech. That’s it.

In addition to being fast, the Firestick is weather resistant and impervious to moisture. Plus, the tolerances on the Firestick is the same as you expect with Federal’s centerfire ammunition.

The NitroFire is a .50 caliber gun with a number of desirable features including:

• 26″ fluted & tapered chromoly barrel with a 1:28″ twist
  • Elite XT trigger with rebounding hammer, captive half-cock and cross block trigger safety
  • ability to load and unload with the cross-bolt safety engaged
Suggested retail pricing starts at $549.

Read the original article here: http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2020-shot-show/. Make sure you visit GunsHolstersAndGear.com for all of the latest gun news, reviews and SHOT Show coverage.

Did some digging and found this so far...

Traditions Firearms NitroFire Muzzleloader
Traditions NitroFire Muzzleloader
At the SHOT Show 2020, Traditions Firearmspulled the cover off of the new NitroFire muzzleloader. With this gun, Traditions proclaimed “We’ve changed muzzleloading forever.”

Traditions partnered with Federal Premium and Hodgdon Powder to create the Firestick: an encapsulated polymer charge that uses the Triple Eight powder from Hogdon. As a shooter, you load the bullet from the muzzle and then slide one Firestick in through the breech. That’s it.

In addition to being fast, the Firestick is weather resistant and impervious to moisture. Plus, the tolerances on the Firestick is the same as you expect with Federal’s centerfire ammunition.

The NitroFire is a .50 caliber gun with a number of desirable features including:

• 26″ fluted & tapered chromoly barrel with a 1:28″ twist
  • Elite XT trigger with rebounding hammer, captive half-cock and cross block trigger safety
  • ability to load and unload with the cross-bolt safety engaged
Suggested retail pricing starts at $549.

Read the original article here: http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2020-shot-show/. Make sure you visit GunsHolstersAndGear.com for all of the latest gun news, reviews and SHOT Show coverage.
Interesting developments.......

On Hodgdons Facebook page there’s a short maybe 10 second promo for “muzzleloading simplified.” It says they’ve partnered with federal premium. So my guess is rather than a new powder they’ve probably made the above mentioned “all in one” stick... which then makes me wonder about the SSK/Lehigh cartridge fired muzzleloader. Same basic idea?

With recents from cva and now traditions Spain is makin moves . Not a good time to be sittin on our hands....... Steady as she goes isnt a very good idea America .

The average guy isnt like us . He uses his mz , a 50 probably , just to hunt when he feels like it . He doesnt want to measure powder , fit sabots or bullets or anything that requires anything of him or his time ,effort to learn , or modify . He doesnt care about 45 vs 50 vs 52 vs 54 etc. He wants what they tell him he wants so long as its EASY . WE are the minority . Hell many that come here dont want to put themselves in it either . What it IS . The youth coming up are no better . We are truly a small number . To load as close to cf as they can and still be a mz , painlessly , is CONVIENT . Thats what the majority want , and thats what will sell . Even if its damn expensive to operate in comparison and costs you in nearly every aspect you can imagine . It SELLS !!!!!
And lets face it , that EASY THING ,is what really sells Blackhorn too cuz it sure aint the price .

Last edited:
The average guy isnt like us . He uses his mz , a 50 probably , just to hunt when he feels like it . He doesnt want to measure powder , fit sabots or bullets or anything that requires anything of him or his time ,effort to learn , or modify . He doesnt care about 45 vs 50 vs 52 vs 54 etc. He wants what they tell him he wants so long as its EASY . WE are the minority . Hell many that come here dont want to put themselves in it either . What it IS . The youth coming up are no better . We are truly a small number . To load as close to cf as they can and still be a mz , painlessly , is CONVIENT . Thats what the majority want , and thats what will sell . Even if its damn expensive to operate in comparison and costs you in nearly every aspect you can imagine . It SELLS !!!!!
And lets face it , that EASY THING ,is what really sells Blackhorn too cuz it sure aint the price .
Those same people go to the range once a year and fire 3 shots in their CF rifle before opening day. For them muzzleloaders are just a way to extend their hunting season. I know lots of people like that and they are perfectly happy dropping a couple pellets down the barrel, they aren’t even interested in trying BH209 since it doesn’t come in a pellet. Having said that, if it wasn’t for those people I don’t think most of the bullet, sabot, and powder options we have would be available.

If that is all it is, that's a real downer like the Lehigh powder cartridge. Neither one would be a legal muzzleloader in any statue that I know of. Must load from the muzzle, and cannot be capable of being loaded from the breech end. Only allowed to be primed from the breech end.

Just don't see this getting any traction, unless Hodgdon will also be offering a loose powder version that doesn't include a federal cartridge?

CVA is moving another direction, so Hodgdon and Traditions are new bed partners. I just wonder how Federal got tangled up in this? I wonder if Federal is the one making the powder cartridges for Lehigh as well?

All I can say, is they got their work cut out for them, if they want to get these systems legalized in all the states, for use during the the dedicated MUZZLELOADER Seasons.

There must be something going on that we don't know about. With Lehigh and now this, to be hyping up and pumping all this money into breech loading propellant systems.
I for one hope states don't legalize it for their ''muzzleloader seasons".
It truly is not muzzleloading.

I’m pretty sure that if I set out to do it and wanted to use pellets, I could easily load my TC Triumph from the breech, no?
I think all I’d need is a starter that pushed the bullet in the same length as 2 pellets?

There’s a video on Facebook (deer & deer hunting) that shows everything. Looks like it’s going to be a leaker for sure.

Well I just watched the video, definitely not for me , if I’m doing that I will just hunt with my slug gun, I cannot see too many states allowing that system , plus it looks expensive, easier to buy black Horn

Latest posts

Back