Hog Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLM3

Reaction score
Hello all, I am starting to look into a hog hunt. This year I sighted in my 50 cal. TC Omega for deer hunting but never got the chance to pull the trigger in our late season. My new load was 110gr. BH209 powder, Barnes spitfire 250gr.tez and a cci 209 primer. I would imagine that load should work for hogs. What are your thoughts? I also have other bullets if you think I should change. TC 370gr max-balls, 350+370gr maxi-hunter, TC 270gr xtp mag sabots, TC sure fire 230gr jacketed hollow point, Power belt copper clad 295gr and some Buffalo Bullets 385gr hollow points. Don't mind if I have to change but I do want and hope for a clean kill. Any of your thoughts are welcome, thanks

They will all be fine unless you are trying to punch through a large hog by way of his shield. In that case a tough sabot would be a necessity.
Thank you, can't get any amo around here thats why I listed what I had. I figure a hog will be between 150&250#🐷

Almost every day I deer hunted this fall-winter I shot a hog ,all with muzzloaders, smokeless rifle and CVA accura,,, shot placement and bullet performance are alot more important on a 200 plus hog than a deer,,most boars develope a tough shield around front shoulder's and neck,,if you want the hog to drop as quick as it's hit I recommend a solid copper ,if shooting a jacketed bullet shoot them in the head-brain or right behind the ear,,,one place I hunt the man that runs cows requires that I never let a hog out of my sight without ether killing it or putting a round in it ,,I try to honor his request,,,in a bubba way it shows me alot about bullet performance,,,what's so cool is to have 8 or 9 250 plus boars in tall grass 20 yards and closing on you as you still hunt you know in about 2.5 seconds you are about to have some live action,,only one shot put it between the largest,ones eyes,then all hell brakes loose,you live this time,,,yes folks life is so good.

Almost every day I deer hunted this fall-winter I shot a hog ,all with muzzloaders, smokeless rifle and CVA accura,,, shot placement and bullet performance are alot more important on a 200 plus hog than a deer,,most boars develope a tough shield around front shoulder's and neck,,if you want the hog to drop as quick as it's hit I recommend a solid copper ,if shooting a jacketed bullet shoot them in the head-brain or right behind the ear,,,one place I hunt the man that runs cows requires that I never let a hog out of my sight without ether killing it or putting a round in it ,,I try to honor his request,,,in a bubba way it shows me alot about bullet performance,,,what's so cool is to have 8 or 9 250 plus boars in tall grass 20 yards and closing on you as you still hunt you know in about 2.5 seconds you are about to have some live action,,only one shot put it between the largest,ones eyes,then all hell brakes loose,you live this time,,,yes folks life is so good.
Hey thanks, and your right life is good! Years ago I took a 200# plus boar in Texas with my bow so I do understand shot placement. I am not good at quick moving critters so I am a worried a bit. I guess hogs don't sit still when they are on all fours. I just want to be prepared and hope for a quick kill. Sounds like you have had some fun in chasing them around. 🐖

The areas I hunt are so overrun with them,, even when hogs are feeding they tend to jerk and move suddenly a lot and they're real rude to each other they're always pushing each other away and fighting each other it's very hard to catch one holding still for a long time and make a great shot,, usually you just have a brave moment to hold and let the trigger go,,I think it helps make one a lot better shot especially if you are right on top of them you sure better make a good shot,, in all my years of catching them live with dogs as a young man I never got hurt rarely ever really got charged by one ,hunting with a rifle I never have been charged and had to jump up a tree or dance and get around behind the pig I assure you I'm capable of both,,I do know this I've seen some very nasty cutter tusk on some hogs I sure don't want to get my legs laid open by one,,,from a slipping through the woods with a single shot muzzleloader hunting big boar hogs is the closest I can get to cape Buffalo Texas style

The solid copper sabots would be excellent a FMJ. 223 round will penetrate a hog shield but is slow to kill, at the same time I have seen a 180 gr. Corelokr from a 3006 fail to penetrate one . Bullet construction is key. Low sectional density bullets typically do not penetrate well (250 gr lead conical at say 1700 fps) turning in to a disc of lead if it holds to gather at all. A tougher bullet with a high sectional density at a lower velocity tends to drive deep with less distortion. (460 gr. Lead conical @ 1350fps) .Boars weighing less than 200 lbs want have much of a shield. I kill one a couple years ago that would go about 325 lb and I dropped him with 1 shot from my 30-30 to his shoulder. As I sat in the stand I noticed his ear twitch ,so like a dummy I got down and went and stuck him with a 5" skinning knife behind the shoulder and that is when he cut my rubber boot and tried to heat me up . My point is some times they are pushovers and others they are army tanks with legs. Oh ,the 30-30 bullet did penetrate the shield but did not make it to the hide on the other side.

The areas I hunt are so overrun with them,, even when hogs are feeding they tend to jerk and move suddenly a lot and they're real rude to each other they're always pushing each other away and fighting each other it's very hard to catch one holding still for a long time and make a great shot,, usually you just have a brave moment to hold and let the trigger go,,I think it helps make one a lot better shot especially if you are right on top of them you sure better make a good shot,, in all my years of catching them live with dogs as a young man I never got hurt rarely ever really got charged by one ,hunting with a rifle I never have been charged and had to jump up a tree or dance and get around behind the pig I assure you I'm capable of both,,I do know this I've seen some very nasty cutter tusk on some hogs I sure don't want to get my legs laid open by one,,,from a slipping through the woods with a single shot muzzleloader hunting big boar hogs is the closest I can get to cape Buffalo Texas style
Sounds quite exciting, good shot placement and good legs are the ticket!
:elmer:

The solid copper sabots would be excellent a FMJ. 223 round will penetrate a hog shield but is slow to kill, at the same time I have seen a 180 gr. Corelokr from a 3006 fail to penetrate one . Bullet construction is key. Low sectional density bullets typically do not penetrate well (250 gr lead conical at say 1700 fps) turning in to a disc of lead if it holds to gather at all. A tougher bullet with a high sectional density at a lower velocity tends to drive deep with less distortion. (460 gr. Lead conical @ 1350fps) .Boars weighing less than 200 lbs want have much of a shield. I kill one a couple years ago that would go about 325 lb and I dropped him with 1 shot from my 30-30 to his shoulder. As I sat in the stand I noticed his ear twitch ,so like a dummy I got down and went and stuck him with a 5" skinning knife behind the shoulder and that is when he cut my rubber boot and tried to heat me up . My point is some times they are pushovers and others they are army tanks with legs. Oh ,the 30-30 bullet did penetrate the shield but did not make it to the hide on the other side.
Well maybe I should use my 300 win short mag with 180gr bullets-at least have a second shot if needed. I am not a young man anymore.:snipe:

That's not a bad idea,, it really might depend on how you're hunting them,,I've caught hogs with men in their mid seventies but they had caught a lot of hogs and worked a lot of cows,, I think if you stay aware ,respect the animal, stay sure if you're shooting abilities you'll be fine,, and I love the adrenaline it'll do you some good

Fury, Barnes, Hornady Monoflex. All excellent choices that will get the job done quickly. For my money the Fury is the only jacketed bullet I would trust unless you go heavier and use a 325 grain FTX but then you’re just adding unnecessary recoil to do the same job the lighter bullets will do

Greg

Not to be arrogant, but I've killed HUNDREDS of pigs at this point with everything from a pocket knife, to a pistol, centerfire, duck loads, muzzleloader, all of it. They're not nearly as bullet proof as most magazines would want you to believe, a deep driving bullet and put it where it needs to be.

Not to be arrogant, but I've killed HUNDREDS of pigs at this point with everything from a pocket knife, to a pistol, centerfire, duck loads, muzzleloader, all of it. They're not nearly as bullet proof as most magazines would want you to believe, a deep driving bullet and put it where it needs to be.

I've not shot near as many as you but my experience has been the same. Folks seem to enjoy exaggerating the toughness as much as the weight of a pig.

Back