Hog Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to be arrogant, but I've killed HUNDREDS of pigs at this point with everything from a pocket knife, to a pistol, centerfire, duck loads, muzzleloader, all of it. They're not nearly as bullet proof as most magazines would want you to believe, a deep driving bullet and put it where it needs to be.
Thanks Smokey, wish I was near a area that held hogs.

"wish I was near a area that held hogs."

I wish I was in an area that did not have them. They are very destructive. They run the deer away from feeders.

You can only eat so many a year.

"wish I was near a area that held hogs."

I wish I was in an area that did not have them. They are very destructive. They run the deer away from feeders.

You can only eat so many a year.
Yup, you are right about eating them and I never gave thought about what would happen to our whitetail woods. Thanks

When they root up a coastal bermuda field it costs $247.00 per acre to repair the damage.

Their rooting causes erosion, something else to go fix. When you hunt them they become nocturnal making them harder to hunt.

After you trap them, they become trap shy.

Anyone want some free hogs?

When they root up a coastal bermuda field it costs $247.00 per acre to repair the damage.

Their rooting causes erosion, something else to go fix. When you hunt them they become nocturnal making them harder to hunt.

After you trap them, they become trap shy.

Anyone want some free hogs?
:mad:

My friends and I would love to drive to Texas and get rid of a few hogs for you. It seems many Texans love their hogs and charge big money for the priviledge of shooting them. We have javelina here, and I've heard some wild stories about how tough and dangerous they are. I did shoot one in the shoulder with an aluminum arrow and had it bite of the end that came out the other side. The other javelina ran over and started snapping all around him even though they couldn't see what was attacking him. I once was tracking a wounded one through thick catclaw on my hands and knees and had him charge me from the side. I threw up my bow to ward him off, but he died before he got to me. I started carrying a pig sticker after that. You do not want to corner one. A couple of Game and Fish guys tried that in someones backyard, and one got really cut up. I have a javelina skull and a bear skull side by side in my office. The javelina has a bigger skull and longer sharper teeth.

Attachments

• IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 19
It's not that love Texans love hogs, but fee hunting is a way of life in Texas.

In Texas they hunt them from the normal conventional way to night hunting with night vision equipment to hunting them from helicopters.

Javelina I find interesting and attractive little fellows in an odd way. I have shot one and it's mounted. I thought it would be interesting to hunt them with a M/L, but after getting one, that is enough for me.

My friends and I would love to drive to Texas and get rid of a few hogs for you. It seems many Texans love their hogs and charge big money for the priviledge of shooting them. We have javelina here, and I've heard some wild stories about how tough and dangerous they are. I did shoot one in the shoulder with an aluminum arrow and had it bite of the end that came out the other side. The other javelina ran over and started snapping all around him even though they couldn't see what was attacking him. I once was tracking a wounded one through thick catclaw on my hands and knees and had him charge me from the side. I threw up my bow to ward him off, but he died before he got to me. I started carrying a pig sticker after that. You do not want to corner one. A couple of Game and Fish guys tried that in someones backyard, and one got really cut up. I have a javelina skull and a bear skull side by side in my office. The javelina has a bigger skull and longer sharper teeth.
Hey I will go to Texas with you guys! LOL Maybe I should have been more clear in my original post, I took that Texas boar with the bow while on a paid hunt like Fishdfly mentioned.

Since 2000 over 90 percent of my deer and hogs have been taken with the 240 grain .430 XTP and the excellent 250 grain SST bullets. Some were killed with patched round balls from .50 and .54 conventional muzzleloaders.

After being shot through both lungs with the 250 grain SST bullet, this boar ran for 200 yards. Bullet was found under the skin of the far side. Hog was 19 inches through the shoulders.

qMrENm.jpg

A twofer on hogs using the 250 grain SST bullet. Both bang flopped.

qJnEjjim.jpg

My Paramount loves them and my CVA 28 twist accura love them good performer on game for me so far too good luck

I asked my hog trapper how many "honest" 300 pound hogs he gets a year, he said one.
I agree hole heartedly! The hog I spoke of was the largest I had ever killed. We hear of a 400lber every year or so, those large boars that are trapped are sold to hunting pens for "TROPHIES " for those who can't hunt but like to brag.

Hog trapper catches his hogs, females to go to a buyer who ultimately sells them off to someone who is going to butcher them. In Texas it's illegal to turn females loose for hunting.

Boars get sold off to high fence places and turned loose for someone to shoot them.

Hog hunting in Texas is big business.

Shooting hogs thru the shoulder takes a decent projectile, boars get a gristle plate behind the shoulder. They also wallow a lot and get a thick layer of mud on their shoulders which gets hard when the mud dries.

Yep gotta agree, the Cape Buffalo genes have been bred out of the hogs.

This^^^^

One of the properties i hunt outlaws the use of centerfire rifles or muzzleloaders outside of deer season. Killed a few hogs there with a .22 LR. Then bought a Savage bolt action rifle in .22 WMR. Have killed hogs over 200 pounds by shooting in the lungs with the 40 grain CCI total metal jacket round. My shots with the .22 WMR are limited to <75 yards.

Killed this very old boar with my Ruger 10/.22:

tR8w5qLm.jpg

Wow, a .58 with a quick twist for heavy bullets?????
Id have to start melting down my truck to make bullets.
Hog trapper catches his hogs, females to go to a buyer who ultimately sells them off to someone who is going to butcher them. In Texas it's illegal to turn females loose for hunting.

Boars get sold off to high fence places and turned loose for someone to shoot them.

Hog hunting in Texas is big business.

Shooting hogs thru the shoulder takes a decent projectile, boars get a gristle plate behind the shoulder. They also wallow a lot and get a thick layer of mud on their shoulders which gets hard when the mud dries.
Yep it is big business. Yet I truly LOVE when the ranchers cry and whine about the damage that the hogs do. Yet when asked about hunting the answer is 300 per day plus trophy fees for bigger hogs or for more than one. I personally hope the hogs eat his ranch and he chokes on the money.

Yep it is big business. Yet I truly LOVE when the ranchers cry and whine about the damage that the hogs do. Yet when asked about hunting the answer is 300 per day plus trophy fees for bigger hogs or for more than one. I personally hope the hogs eat his ranch and he chokes on the money.
Funny post as I live in an area hogs a plentiful and I have never heard a rancher cry or whine about hog damage. As for charging to hunt how is the landowner supposed to know if your an idiot or not and if his stock is safe from a dumb move on your part? On my place feral hogs have virtually no effect on my cattle. As for who gets to hunt on my property I have friends I can trust.

Latest posts

Back