Hog Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked my hog trapper how many "honest" 300 pound hogs he gets a year, he said one.
Trapping hogs does not always get the big ones, they got big by learning to avoid traps. On a grass lease I had north of Guthrie Texas the average size hog was around 200 pounds and 400 pound feral hogs were not uncommon at all.

Stick with what you are shooting now. That fast chunk of copper will go deep and stay together. I think even with a frontal shield shot you can make clean kills. I think a fast copper .45 will definitely go deeper than the slower softer lead .50 and also go with what you have confidence in. If you feel good about it, go with it. If you know its accurate and shoots well it will kill! Good luck and have fun!

Boars are not rhinos; like all larger game animals shot placement trumps everything else. You don't need someone's expensive bullet.

Much ado is made about a boar's "shields". i've shot a couple 300 pound boars with a .50 caliber muzzleloader using patched round balls. Balls went through "shields", tore up the lungs, hogs ran for about 100 yards and died with their tongues hanging out.

Two hogs with one shot:

rdZCrG9l.jpg

Hog raisers accurately estimate the weight of a hog::

1. Measure heart girth.
2. Square the heart girth.
3. Measure distance from base of tail to between the ears.
4, Multiply 2 and 3.
5. Divide by 400

Last edited:
Boars are not rhinos; like all larger game animals shot placement trumps everything else. You don't need someone's expensive bullet.

Much ado is made about a boar's "shields". i've shot a couple 300 pound boars with a .50 caliber muzzleloader using patched round balls. Balls went through "shields", tore up the lungs, hogs ran for about 100 yards and died with their tongues hanging out.

Two hogs with one shot:

rdZCrG9l.jpg

Hog raisers accurately estimate the weight of a hog::

1. Measure heart girth.
2. Square the heart girth.
3. Measure distance from base of tail to between the ears.
4, Multiply 2 and 3.
5. Divide by 400

I wouldn't expect a thick shield on either of those two. Nice pigs though and a double is always welcome.

Latest posts

Back