Home defense weapon and flashlight placement

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see where having a light on a firearm is a bad thing. Here's my opinion. You will know its going to come on so you can anticipate it. An intruder will not. You will take him by surprise and temporarily blind him. This will give you ample time to identify him as armed and dangerous and be able to act accordingly. I wouldn't walk around the house with the flashlight on. My house(s) have enough ambient light that I can see well enough to move around and detect an intruder. But that's my home(s)

I don't see where having a light on a firearm is a bad thing. Here's my opinion. You will know its going to come on so you can anticipate it. An intruder will not. You will take him by surprise and temporarily blind him. This will give you ample time to identify him as armed and dangerous and be able to act accordingly. I wouldn't walk around the house with the flashlight on. My house(s) have enough ambient light that I can see well enough to move around and detect an intruder. But that's my home(s)
It depends sadly in my state I have to retreat so I have to consider that in my response

I have been trying to find a bayonet attachment to place a light on my rifle. Found one but doesn't fit.
Tried a local gun shop. He didn't have any either and said I would probably get a shadow from the barrel if I did.
So that idea is out....

Only post I'm doing on this. I'm not looking for a debate from anyone, so do as you like. But here are things to think about.

1. Know your laws and how to act if you are involved in an incident. Responding law enforcement does not know you are the good guy, so don't get upset if you are cuffed and placed in a car. If that happens, don't fight it, as that will not end well. It's for the responding officers safety, as much as anything. If possible, don't have your weapon in your hand when the responding officers arrive, as people have been shot over being confused for the bad guy.

2. In some states, criminals have a lot of rights. Don't be surprised if you get sued by him/her or their family in civil court. Yes, this does happen.

3. More to the OPs question. It doesn't matter, as YOU are the biggest factor in any situation. No matter what system you use, learn to use it. Training is key! You are the biggest factor, not the gun, light or even the bad guy. Everyone has a plan, but so does the other guy. Most likely, your initial plan will go to s*** real fast.

4. Seek out professional instructors (experienced people) to train with. Even if that means paying to go to a training classes. You can get classes for just about anything, including light training. Just be carful with this, as there are a lot of people selling a bunch of BS out there.

5. While not always possible, get to know local law enforcement or be involved in your community. This way people will know you are not a nut job if something happens. If you are in involved in an incident, you are going to be scrutinized hard. Your reputation in your community can help (or hurt).

6. Get legal representation ASAP if something happens! Only give the basic info when asked by law enforcement, as everything you say is being noted. Don't give a full statement at the scene, you are going to be amped up and might misspeak. Wait till you have had time to gather yourself and have your statement go through your attorney.

Hope you find what works best for you.

Last edited:
Sandhillshunter wraps up home defense real nice here.

Back