Home defense weapon and flashlight placement

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See that Half-cocked? There's more than one way to disable a bad guy.

It's actually kind of hilarious I live in a bad neighborhood and pretty much everyone has a gun whether it's legal or not. But the one thing that they are scared to death of here are dogs!

I'm almost certain that is the only reason my house hasn't been broken into while I'm gone. Never underestimate the scary factor of a beefy pitbull or two. Especially the females. Oh man are they territorial.

2 12ga Mossbergs with extended magazine tubes. One recoil absorbing pistol grip, one bullpup. They each hold 12 rounds of Aguila short buckshot. Custom elevators that will reliably feed the short shells. Well lit with IProtec lights that have the strobe function. The short rounds in the bullpup allow the misses to shoot it easily
View attachment 10704. No one in their right mind will stick around when they hear a shotgun racking.
I did similar by getting a Mossberg 500 Turkey special which has a short barrel and with interchangeable choke ability for 00 buck to do the job. I base this decision on major defense weapons fired into ballistics gel results. Handheld powerful light with zoom ability was selected which can be mounted.
The decision on the Turkey 12 ga was dull purpose to use for turkey as well. It is mounted to the back of the bed headboard for fast access.
One can never assume safety in this world of crazy events.

20160201_093110.jpg

I’d rather have a short bbl 20 gauge shotgun shooting number 5 shot or the likes instead of a pistol for Home Defense. I took my friend to the range the other day to try my 45 ACP Ruger SR1911. He asked why are we shooting a target that is so close? I just smiled and said you’ll see. Well all I can say is I’m glad we were shooting at a big target. Grin. I asked do you think you would have shot better if someone was shooting or attacking you or came to rob you? Naturally he said no way. So unless a person practices a lot I would not recommend a pistol as a home defense weapon.

To me personally, it Depends on the Home? A large home with lot’s of open space, a Shotgun is undoubtedly what I would prefer. A small tight quartered home, a Pistol would be my 1st Choice. I have both Shotgun, and Pistol Handy, Along with an AR for Good measure 😃 I’m Not paranoid, just well Prepared :lewis:

A pistol and lots of practice are my first choice. But my wife being part of the equation needed a different solution. 20ga would also be a great option for her. But i had access to a bunch of 12ga Mossy 500's at the time, so...

I believe some people think that a gun fight in their home would be a lot like what they witness on TV shows. HIGHLY unlikely. If it lasted 10 to 15 seconds that would be a very long time.
Time is quite evident by any of the multitude of videos relating to attempted robberies that can be found on Youtube. They are over very quickly with or without either party shooting the other. Prepare with what you feel is the quickest to obtain, maneuver, utilize and be safe for others living in your home. The racking sound of a pump shotgun is Hollywood crap. In most cases, you know your own home layout better than any intruder. Use that knowledge.
Most of all.......... PRAY that you never have to utilize.

Personal favorite is a carbine in a pistol caliber along with a pistol in the same caliber. The ASR "survival rifle" currently has me interested. A 3 barrel set is around $1100. The 460Rowland/10mm/357Sig barrels are capable of taking deer within a reasonable range. So it makes a nice multi use package that accepts Glock mags.

Last edited:
Anytime i see a thread like this it reminds me of Bubba.50 when we were on the Castboolit site together

Someone asked “What is your Favorite, Chosen home Defense Weapon?” The Typical answers Poured in “Pistol/Shotgun/AR/ Etc. Etc., Ole Bubba.50 joined in with 1 Single Post, “A TC Renegade, With a Well Lubed Maxi Ball, sitting on 80-100 Grains of 2F

Everytime I think about him saying that i ROLL Laughing! The Funniest part of All, is i have no doubt he was DEAD SERIOUS about it
:roll:

When/IF the SHTF its good to have your bases covered without the added burden of a complete arsenal. Standardize your mags and ammo as much as possible. The less you got to carry or transport the better prepared you will be in the long haul. Lots of people have never pulled the trigger on a weapon indoors other than a shooting range with hearing protection. Well i have and something like a 357Mag will have your ears ringing for hours. Pistol caliber carbines cut down on that a little and they are easier to "master" in some defense situations.

Pull the trigger on a 5.56 in a building/room/house and you wont be hearing much of anything for several minutes at the very least. Sure makes it hard to tell if the thud from the next room over is the intruder or a family member.

Last edited:
Anytime i see a thread like this it reminds me of Bubba.50 when we were on the Castboolit site together

Someone asked “What is your Favorite, Chosen home Defense Weapon?” The Typical answers Poured in “Pistol/Shotgun/AR/ Etc. Etc., Ole Bubba.50 joined in with 1 Single Post, “A TC Renegade, With a Well Lubed Maxi Ball, sitting on 80-100 Grains of 2F

Everytime I think about him saying that i ROLL Laughing! The Funniest part of All, is i have no doubt he was DEAD SERIOUS about it
:roll:
One thing I got to say about that is with all the smoke that would be in the house the robber/attacker would not be able to you to shoot back! LOL

Hey guys. Don't laugh but I'm might buy a hipoint.

The sig I have is pretty awesome. However I can't seem to get a comfortable grip. As a result I recoil all over the place and am horrible with accuracy.

When I hold the gun in a ridiculous way with my support pointer finger INFRONT of the trigger guard I can actually hit the target. The sights are dead on IF I shoot it that way.

I am considering the carbine sleeve but that adds about 230 bucks to this 500 dollar pistol. Maybe the wilson combat frame.

What I don't get is my Ruger P95 chambered in 9 as well was much easier to control recoil.

Enter the highpoint I always kinda wanted one now I have a 380 on layaway. It is easier to rack than the sig and ugly as sin. I wonder if I should get the new 9mm instead.

I was also looking at the Ruger lcp. Of course it's out of stock the Taurus g2c is available.

So far collection is as follows

Sig sauer p320 9mm
Savage axis 30.06
Savage mark ii .22
Hertige revolver .22

Cva wolf .50
Pietta Colt 1851 .44

Half-Cocked please find something else. Anything else. Please. I had a hi-point .40 once. Other than that it was heavy, i have blocked it from my memory.

brother I am so confused I hear over and over again about how they are the worst POS on the market and yet if you've ever seen demolition ranch on YouTube the guy hates high points but still can't destroy him enough not to get to shoot.

Once they shoot and they don't jam they're fine I think. I can tell you this years ago when I picked up my Ruger I had two options there was a high point there for $200 amazingly the same price that it is now. And next to it was a beautiful looking Ruger P95.

It took me about 5 seconds to decide which gun I wanted. The high point is now and was then the ugliest gun I have ever seen.

I tell you what if I can get any type of compact Carry the high points out the window. Really the high point isn't good for much other than saying I own a high point.

Too bulky for EDC. To unreliable for home defense. I think a lot of people nail it right on the head when they say that it is a good gun for somebody who cannot afford anything else.

Then again you see a lot of videos where they're shooting straight and they don't jam. One person says when you load the bullets in the magazine sometimes they tilt downwards and that causes feeding issues. I have to laugh wow budget gun indeed.

When/IF the SHTF its good to have your bases covered without the added burden of a complete arsenal. Standardize your mags and ammo as much as possible. The less you got to carry or transport the better prepared you will be in the long haul. Lots of people have never pulled the trigger on a weapon indoors other than a shooting range with hearing protection. Well i have and something like a 357Mag will have your ears ringing for hours. Pistol caliber carbines cut down on that a little and they are easier to "master" in some defense situations.

Pull the trigger on a 5.56 in a building/room/house and you wont be hearing much of anything for several minutes at the very least. Sure makes it hard to tell if the thud from the next room over is the intruder or a family member.

So way way back in the day I had a negligent discharge indoors.

I had a pistol a friend let me borrow I don't remember what brand it was I was about 17. Anyway believe it or not I was eating some chicken nice greasy chicken from the colonel. I had a brilliant idea the chamber around and then dropped the hammer on the firing pin as this model did not have a decock lever.

You can imagine what happened as I'm pulling the trigger my thumb was on the hammer and the hammer slipped from my greasy chicken thumb.

Now luckily I was pointing this at a futon mattress laying on the floor while I did it. The mattress was on an unfinished concrete floor. Yeah it was very loud good news is the bullet penetrated the futon and skid between the concrete and the bottom of the futon a good foot or so before coming to a stop. No one was injured.

Also good news is never had a negligent discharge since that experience.

brother I am so confused I hear over and over again about how they are the worst POS on the market and yet if you've ever seen demolition ranch on YouTube the guy hates high points but still can't destroy him enough not to get to shoot.

Once they shoot and they don't jam they're fine I think. I can tell you this years ago when I picked up my Ruger I had two options there was a high point there for $200 amazingly the same price that it is now. And next to it was a beautiful looking Ruger P95.

It took me about 5 seconds to decide which gun I wanted. The high point is now and was then the ugliest gun I have ever seen.

I tell you what if I can get any type of compact Carry the high points out the window. Really the high point isn't good for much other than saying I own a high point.

Too bulky for EDC. To unreliable for home defense. I think a lot of people nail it right on the head when they say that it is a good gun for somebody who cannot afford anything else.

Then again you see a lot of videos where they're shooting straight and they don't jam. One person says when you load the bullets in the magazine sometimes they tilt downwards and that causes feeding issues. I have to laugh wow budget gun indeed.
One dry fire on mine and it bent the firing pin (a friend who didnt know better while looking at it). Jamming feeds and extractor missed about every 8-9th round. I could use it as a hammer and not hurt it but using it as a gun seemed too much for it.

One dry fire on mine and it bent the firing pin (a friend who didnt know better while looking at it). Jamming feeds and extractor missed about every 8-9th round. I could use it as a hammer and not hurt it but using it as a gun seemed too much for it.

The sure way to hit your target with a high point every time is to throw the gun at the Target.

After hearing that comment about the firing pin no way would I purchase a high point.

Even with my sig I often forget and dry fire. Of course nowadays I make sure that my toys are empty before I start playing with them. The urge to dry fire for me is overwhelming. Lol.

It really is too bad that they are such crappy guns. I can live with the looks if it wasn't such poor quality.

Yeah I'm going to take your advice and forget the high point. They did have The Taurus g2c for only 50 bucks more.

or I can wait until God knows when for a Ruger LCP. What the LCP2 coming out I'm not sure if they're even going to restock the original LCP.

I can also use that money to buy a shotgun. Which will cover me if I ever go duck hunting. Seeing as fed regulations say Ducks must be shot with birdshot.

Got to say though racking that high point was really smooth. Probably the only good thing about it.

I wouldn't use visible light in a home defense situation. Install some discrete IR lights in strategic locations ( both inside and outside ) and use a night vision device. Most criminals won't be using them. Even the cheap Russian ones work great with IR illumination. The Russian squeeze piezoelectric powered mono is nice because you don't have to worry about batteries. I prefer US military surplus night vision, including IR only units like the Metascope.

I used the flashlight on the gun as a separate light. The flashlight's light makes a big difference because the lighter it is, the easier it is for you to aim and attach it. There are positives to using it as a supplemental light. It gives you a better view, first of all, than when the light hits the aiming point locally. With either option, the important thing is that the flashlight should be light, so you can try https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Flashlight-Flashlights-Water-Resistant-Accessories/dp/B089T8HDBV. Right now, I use two flashlights, each responsible for a different range of light. I attach a longer-range light to the weapon, and a short-range light as an additional light, under the weapon.

Latest posts

Back