Hope I did ok

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PACharlie

Reaction score
First off I’m brand new to Muzzleloaders and this forum. I’ve been very impressed and thankful for the vast knowledge freely given here, thanks. I just made a purchase on an in-line setup through Muzzleloaders.com, a CVA V2 and a leapold freedom scope, originally I wanted to use a vortex viper XBR on this gun but went for the scope as well. Lol did I do the right thing buying the scope and not using what I had collecting dust?

I’ve read up on this gun here and It looks like I’m starting out with BH209 and 209 caps along with powerbelt Aerolite 250s. Does this sound like a good start ? I would rather not deal with the plastic left behind from a sabot if possible so I figured to start here, if you guys think otherwise please let me know thanks for the help

Who says sabots leave plastic? CVA...well of course they say that. They want to sell $2 a piece Powerbelts. Betcha that skirt on the PB is made of plastic also. Ive never seen this mythical sabot fouling that makes it impossible to load multiple shots. I have range sessions pushing 40 shots or more and all were sabots. Oddly i could load every single one just as easily as the first.

I have rifles that will shoot sabots far faster than you will ever shoot them. Yet they still dont leave this mythical residue that makes it hard or impossible to load.

I’m just going on what I’ve heard and read, I’m asking for suggestions and advise, actually I saw cva made the rounds and thought they were engineered for the barrel. But I posted this to try to get some feedback and direction.

My advice is find a far more affordable bullet that performs better or a true premium priced bullet. You have tons of options. Everything from a inexpensive Speer Deep Curl to a Lehigh, Barnes or Fury custom bullet that will still cost less than a Powerbelt Aerolite.

I would start with really cheap Hornady 250gr XTP and some Harvester smooth black sabots just to get used to your new rifle. They will kill deer just as well but will cost a fraction of the amount to practice. You can buy those in bulk all over including Cabelas.

Im Assuming by V2 you mean the Optima V2? The Harvester smooth sabot for upto 300gr bullets is a known good sabot for those rifles. You can more than likely just swap bullets if you want to use a "Premium" bullet for hunting. Minor tuning of the load and scope at the most.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/sho...vester-caliber-sabots-per/740368.uts?slotId=2
https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/pro...WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-740743&WT.z_pg_ref=prd740368

Actually it’s an Acura v2,if that’s not going to change your options I’ll start with the Hornady 250gr XTP thanks for the advise

No it should be ok in either rifle. Some rifles may prefer the Black Crushrib sabots instead. There is no way to know for sure until you try them.

Tons and tons of deer have fallen to the cheap 250gr XTP or 300gr XTP. No need for the XTP MAG unless you are shooting max loads. Then they might be slightly better. There are some really excellent bullets out there for what they want for Powerbelt Aerolites and its a waste of $$$ to be using any of them for practice.

35 bucks for 100 rounds, got them ordered. Now I’m hoping they shoot great, for this price thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
PowerBelts is almost a cuss word on this forum.

i would imagine they earned that reputation here, other than the price what makes them so disliked???

My own personal experiences with them is mixed. They usually shot good in just about any gun I've shot them out of. I had killed a few deer with them as well. The problems with them came when ever bone was encountered. Not very good penetration and lots of bullet fragmentation equaled injured deer running off.
If you do end up using them I would not push them too fast. That soft lead fragments and explodes at higher speeds. Slower speeds will probably give you better penetration.
I stopped using them a long time ago. Much better bullets out there.

Wow on good hits??? Unacceptable, no way cost doesn’t matter. If I wound an animal and have to track it needlessly that’s not an option.

On the otherhand, I could not get good accuracy with Powerbelts in most muzzleloaders that I tried. I have a buddy that has a Gen 1 Wolf that shoots them (270 Platinum) very good, but I tried to talk him out of them after he killed his first deer with it... 20 yard hit broadside through the lungs and no exit. Bullet completely fragmented and he LOVED it, because the deer didn't make it 10 feet. So far he only takes what he calls "archery shots" with the Powerbelts and loves that the bullets come apart and the deer don't go far. I, on the other hand, tend to use a bullet that is heavy for caliber and holds together so that I can take a shot from any angle that I want (except the Texas heart shot).

I, on the other hand, tend to use a bullet that is heavy for caliber and holds together so that I can take a shot from any angle that I want (except the Texas heart shot).

Same here! I like to Eat what i Kill, And is the Reason i hunt. A bullet that Explodes/Fragments is The FARTHEST thing from what i would consider a Good Hunting Bullet

Scorpion PT Gold in 260 grain or 300 is another good bullet/sabot combo that is very affordable and had good success for many. My personal favorite hunting bullet is the Barnes TE-Z 250 grain, you won’t find many complaints about this bullet/sabot combo but it would likely be considered in the premium price range by most but to me has been worth the cost as the furthest a deer has gone so far is 30 yards. Full disclaimer, I like most practice with my ML more than just sighting it in for deer season and have good glass on my rifle. Placement is extremely important and a quality performing bullet will take care of the rest.
Congratulations on your new CVA Accura V2, I just purchased one last night myself!

Same here! I like to Eat what i Kill, And is the Reason i hunt. A bullet that Explodes/Fragments is The FARTHEST thing from what i would consider a Good Hunting Bullet
Exactly!
I prefer heavy for calibre bullets, that expand and punch through without all the hydrostatic shock. This gives me two holes leaking blood and minimal meat damage. I still do not take bad angle shots, just because of my quest for the best (and most) meat, as that is my trophy.
Walk

The other thing to consider...While PBs are easy to load....That is not ideal for how BH209 works best. My dislike for them is they are premium priced but the construction is far from premium quality. You can get 50 Fury full bore 50cal bullets made for "package to bore shooting" for around $50 and they are a bonded jacket bullet. Why someone would prefer a more expensive plated bullet is a mystery to me. I would rather shoot a simple lead conical any day for less than 50cent each.

Seriously, wouldnt you rather shoot something like this if you were going to spend over a buck a pop for a full bore bullet?
https://www.furycustombullets.com/webapp/p/208/muzzle-loader
GetImage

Latest posts

Back