Hornady 290 Gr FTX Bore Driver Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the accuracy report. Mine should be here tomorrow from mid south. I got some from Presleysoutdoors.con. They came in 4 days after I ordered them. I haven’t had a chance to try them yet.

I dont order anything from Midway any longer. The CEO and their folksy origin is not where they are. Its all about $$
I ordered from Brownells. The last Midsouth order I placed took almost 3 weeks to ship. That is not transit time, that is THREE WEEKS AFTER ACCEPTING MY ORDER THAT IT WAS SHIPPED.

Just did an accuracy test with the Bore Driver 100 grV BH209 in a ruger 77/50. 100 yds. The rifle will normally shoot 250 barnes with crush rib sabot into 1-1.5". Definitely deer capable.

View attachment 16135

I would say they are deer MOA out to about 200 yards, based on that group.

OK. But nothing to write home about.

Your 250 Barnes/sabot load is much better.

I would say they are deer MOA out to about 200 yards, based on that group.

OK. But nothing to write home about.

Your 250 Barnes/sabot load is much better.
The only real positive thing I can say is that they are easy to load. My Barnes combo has cloverleafed several times off the bench and I know how they perform on a deer. Lot of deer shot only one bullet recovered and it went in lengthwise, to be recovered in the back leg. Looked like an advertisement for Barnes.

The only real positive thing I can say is that they are easy to load. My Barnes combo has cloverleafed several times off the bench and I know how they perform on a deer. Lot of deer shot only one bullet recovered and it went in lengthwise, to be recovered in the back leg. Looked like an advertisement for Barnes.

I greatly appreciate you sharing this data.

I have been trying to find some of these new bullets to test them.

I was hoping they would be more accurate than the PowerBelts. Have you shot any PowerBelts in this rifle, and if so what kind of group did you get?

i have not shot power belts in "this" rifle. I am shooting a 77/50 officers model with a strait walnut stock and blued steel. I have shot them in a stainless version I had using American pioneer powder(horrible stuff). The old rifle shot IIRC 270 gr platinum's about 3"- 4" at a hundred. I have sold that and now have the officer's model that I converted to a BH209 capable breech. The old stainless model had the plunger fire system. I shot a few deer with it. I shot a nice 8 pt. at 165 yds. off a rest laser ranged. The powerbelt broke the femur, there was no wind. That was the last powerbelt I shot. I recovered that deer but was not happy. I figured out how to convert the breech and went BH209 and Barnes. I have not looked back. This was approximately 10-12 years ago. I just wanted to test the bullets. They might shoot better with a different powder/charge or in a different rifle. I have since lost the right to hunt that property where I had the possibility of a 200 yd. shot. My main property that I hunt now has a 80 yd. max shot and these would work just fine there. I will still shoot the Barnes though, you never know when you might need the capability to reach out into the middle of a field.

never knew that was a rule

I will try to do some testing with BH209 next week.

===============================

I had some time this afternoon.

Three shots with no cleaning between shots.

Now I will have to clean my rifle after this....

BH209 does contain some corrosive oxidizers.

Attachments

• BoreDriverBH209.jpg
    BoreDriverBH209.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back