Hornady 290 Gr FTX Bore Driver Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the concept of the Bore Drivers. A Power Belt type bullet that should stay together and perform real well on game. Can't see why at 290 grains they would not do well on elk. I know Power Belts are pretty accurate in a lot of different barrels due to the soft conforming lead. I don't think the Bore Drivers will be as accurate in as many guns as the Power Belts though. The muzzleloader hunting market will dictate how well they do. It will probably take a few seasons to find out.
I think they will do better in the market place than the FPB's did. And I am a big fan of the FPB's. Stocked up on them when they went out of production. Hopefully my supply should last the rest of my lifetime.

The ad for the Bore Driver says it has a gilded metal jacket, thats an awful lot like the PBs. Not quite a real jacket. Maybe just enough to stop bore leading when they're pushed hard and fast. Will they also frag when sent at warp speeds?

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the Bore Driver - expanded!

new-hornady-bore-driver-ftx-muzzleloading-bullets-12.png

Really does not look that bad and it appears to me the jacket is much thicker than a PBelt.

This is a .500 300 grain ftx I shot into water jugs at 100 yards. Which looks very similar to sabot loaders results I would say the boredriver is constructed basically the same as a plain ftx. They are a pretty solid performing bullet in my tests

Attachments

• F4DC9129-2925-46DF-9B83-330C39ACAE33.png
    F4DC9129-2925-46DF-9B83-330C39ACAE33.png
    266.9 KB · Views: 22
I also live/hunt/fish in Colorado. I downloaded the tech specs and description on the bore driver 290. Hornaday starts out right in the beginning with large letters "NOT A SABOT". Don't know if it will pull any weight with a warden, but I would like to have a second option to powerbelts. Will definitely try them when available.

I also live/hunt/fish in Colorado. I downloaded the tech specs and description on the bore driver 290. Hornaday starts out right in the beginning with large letters "NOT A SABOT". Don't know if it will pull any weight with a warden, but I would like to have a second option to powerbelts. Will definitely try them when available.
There are other options you can try. I shoot this .500 275 grain Barnes xpander with a cut off sabot or ballistic bridge. It’s a tackdriver out of my wolf and as you can see the xpander does exactly what it’s Name says it does.

Attachments

• 4A983F7A-CB57-4B40-9280-F1283C145BC7.jpeg
    4A983F7A-CB57-4B40-9280-F1283C145BC7.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 27
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Colorado Parks and Wildlife. I understand you are inquiring about the Hornady Bore Driver.

Our law enforcement and the regulation team have reviewed this product and have deemed it legal to use during the muzzleloader season. If you would like to change the regulation regarding sabots, I would suggest submitting a citizen petition. More information regarding citizen petitions can be found here.

Respectfully,

--
Bradley Gabrielski
Communication Center Wildlife Coordinator

License, Reservations & Customer Operations section
uc

Legal in Colorado

Back