Hornady 290gr Bore Driver FTX - 50 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rvrrat14

Reaction score
Recovered bullets from my first shots from a new Optoma V2 with 2 pellets White Hots. Range was approx 25 yds sight-in, into a damp/packed berm. Jacket did not separate from any recovered bullets. Accuracy was approx 1” with one group smaller and two shots into same hole of three shot group. Look forward to shooting some hogs real soon.
472C4BD7-8C1D-4C9F-A3D2-46AFA0863BB9.jpeg

Wow those look pretty good. Were they pretty tight in your bore?

When I placed it in the muzzle, it went very easy where the muzzle area is larger to accept the bullet, but as you pushed it with your thumb it tighten up. The polymer gas check does a good job engaging the lands and sealing.

The first two shots went very smooth. The third got a bit tight towards the bottom. The fourth had issues….Clean with one wet patch and one dry patch after third shot. Don’t forget to check the Breech Plug, too.

I started them with the Knuckle Saver. The first ones went easy. After cleaning they would go very easy through three shots. Hunting shouldn’t be an issue.

After the swabbing, the rounds would just glide smoothly to the bottom. I was swabbing with damp patches with Simple Green.

Last edited:
Those expanded well. The opposite of what I have experienced with powerbelt aero tips and elrs. The boredriver s are very accurate too. 1 inch group at 100 out of my wolf. Good report rvrrat14. Thanks!
Thank you sir!

Thanks for the pic Bama! I was wondering how those would act. I’m gonna stick with the Bore Driver FTX for now and evaluate at 50/100 yards as well as on a boar hog.

I am wondering 2 questions:

If the plastic skirt doesn’t come off, will that affect accuracy at longer ranges? And I don’t shoot past 150 yards because I use open sights.

How they will perform on really big tough animals, like a really big hog or an elk.

@txhunter58

The skirt is designed to come off after firing. I found these right at 50 ft from muzzle. I can’t address the question of Not Coming Off, nor have I tried to remove one manually. Question for Hornady.

As stated earlier, my next plans are to fire at 50/100yds and a hog.

@txhunter58

The skirt is designed to come off after firing. I found these right at 50 ft from muzzle. I can’t address the question of Not Coming Off, nor have I tried to remove one manually. Question for Hornady.

As stated earlier, my next plans are to fire at 50/100yds and a hog.

thx for clarifying. If skirt comes off, accuracy should not be affected.

I used the bore driver for the first time this year. I shot a big whitetail buck at 100yards. Dropped in his tracks. Recovered the bullet lodged in the far side shoulder. Performed well except it weighed 168grs. Shed a lot of weight from the original 290. Mushroomed well

Not as impressed with the Boredrivers as I was hoping to be. After seeing Ron's test's and what was pulled out of the dirt bank. I will pass on them. However, I think they would probably hold up just a little better than the Powerbelts.

I am totally impressed WTH the bore driver. Extremely accurate and performed well on my first whitetail. Do I wish it had retained more weight? Of course, but it was a quick human kill. Hoping to try it on some 250lb hogs we have
Thanks for the info. I’ve liked what I’ve seen. Humane kill, DRT. Good enough. I’ve got some big hogs on my ranch that are going to run into this bullet. At that point, I’ll be able to tell what it can do.
On your buck, did you hit the near shoulder/bone as it went thru to the other side?

Thanks for the info. I’ve liked what I’ve seen. Humane kill, DRT. Good enough. I’ve got some big hogs on my ranch that are going to run into this bullet. At that point, I’ll be able to tell what it can do.
On your buck, did you hit the near shoulder/bone as it went thru to the other side?
Slight quartering to, broke numerous ribs on the way in, destroyed the lungs and broke the far side shoulder

Just wanted to throw in my .02. Here is a pic of my Barnes 290 grain TEZ recovered from a bull elk. I couldn't wish for a better performing bullet. Out the barrel at 2000 f.p.s. , 290 grains, recovered weight of 200 exactly. The 6X6 bull never took another step after the first shot but was still standing, so another bullet was sent just to make sure he wasn't going anywhere.

Attachments

• elk bullet 2021.jpg
    elk bullet 2021.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 12
Back