Hornady 290gr Bore Driver FTX - 50 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to throw in my .02. Here is a pic of my Barnes 290 grain TEZ recovered from a bull elk. I couldn't wish for a better performing bullet. Out the barrel at 2000 f.p.s. , 290 grains, recovered weight of 200 exactly. The 6X6 bull never took another step after the first shot but was still standing, so another bullet was sent just to make sure he wasn't going anywhere.
I do love Barnes bullets.

Barnes fan as well- I have taken more deer with the Barnes Original 300gr Spitzer than any other bullet. Of course hunting here in IL, it's either a shotgun, muzzleloader, or pistol. I have only ever shot 1 deer with a shotgun, and I doubt I will ever do that again, just not for me.

Dropped about an 180lb sow this afternoon late.
Shot was with the Bore Driver FTX 290gr and 2 White Hot pellets at about 85 yards. First kill with my new Optima V2.

I shot rear of shoulder and broke two ribs. Shot did not go thru. I did a field inspection and ran my hand into the area I opened. Destroyed the lung and part of the upper heart. I ran my hand all the way inside but could not find the bullet. Blood trial was from point of impact right up to where she laid. She ran about 40 yards into thick youpan. It was getting dark, so I did not open her up any further. Normally I shoot hogs behind the ear in line with the shoulder, if possible. I shot here to see what damage would be done, and I’d say PLENTY.

Attachments

• B831E014-7B91-49EA-81F0-5E08955C1CA2.jpeg
    B831E014-7B91-49EA-81F0-5E08955C1CA2.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 40
  • DD0021BF-6FE8-44A2-B86E-3400D7C9663D.jpeg
    DD0021BF-6FE8-44A2-B86E-3400D7C9663D.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 7991E7AA-BFCB-4CFC-908A-4EA85CDD0B7C.jpeg
    7991E7AA-BFCB-4CFC-908A-4EA85CDD0B7C.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 04F45732-0D41-4570-8678-B17476B6E290.jpeg
    04F45732-0D41-4570-8678-B17476B6E290.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 36
As you butcher this beautiful pig, look in the interior edge of the grisle shield. That’s where your bullet will be. I’d love to see photos of the recovered bullet.

As you butcher this beautiful pig, look in the interior edge of the grisle shield. That’s where your bullet will be. I’d love to see photos of the recovered bullet.
No butchering here. I searched the other side inside and out, felt it may have lodged in the stomach. Next sow will be butchered for sausage. Will try…..

I was out in the shop reloading and discovered I had never weighed the recovered bullets in this thread. So I weighed and averaged them.

Original published weight - 290 gr.

25 yard impacts - 242.667 gr.
50 yard impacts - 286.9 gr.

Okay now my .02 lol, I've been shooting the 290 grain Bore Driver FTX out my Optima with 3-777 pellets and i'm getting 2 inch groups @ 150 yrds consistent. I am also getting the same or maybe even better and more consistent results with 2-777 pellets, a 245 grain powerbelt copper plated hollow-point into 1 gallon milk jugs filled with sand @ 150 yrds. Both are great bullets but I tend to gravitate more to the later combo of 2-777 pellets and a 245 powerbelt.

A 245gr 50cal bullet has a terrible sectional density....Ask yourself...would you shoot a bullet that light made from copper plated lead out of a 50 Beowulf because that is almost what you are doing.
I guess i never thought of that as i am still relatively new to this. Still tweaking around with it and all trying different combos

While that load might do "ok" at say 100 yards, what happens when a deer steps out at 25yard and the fps is much higher? I can tell you...it fragments badly and penetrates poorly. So if you are thinking about light for caliber bullets stick to "premium" quality bullets like Fury or even a monolithic like Thors. The Fury full bores are not super expensive but you may need more than 2 pellets to get them to perform as designed.

Sand is nearly useless for seeing what a bullet actually does. It lacks the hydraulic part of the equation. Tissue is mostly water. The results are much different.

While that load might do "ok" at say 100 yards, what happens when a deer steps out at 25yard and the fps is much higher? I can tell you...it fragments badly and penetrates poorly. So if you are thinking about light for caliber bullets stick to "premium" quality bullets like Fury or even a monolithic like Thors. The Fury full bores are not super expensive but you may need more than 2 pellets to get them to perform as designed.

Sand is nearly useless for seeing what a bullet actually does. It lacks the hydraulic part of the equation. Tissue is mostly water. The results are much different.
Yeah i did wonder if water was better to use rather than sand and to be honest with you I never once thought of retrieving my spent round and inspecting it. So i'm definitely going to start doing that. I obviously have lots more to learn and always appreciate the input here.

I used to save old phone books. Soak them in water for several hours so all the pages are completely wet. While not a good test its lots of fun looking at the damage.
UVwjt35.jpg

FU8A9aa.jpg

The 2 in the back are dry. Pretty rare for anything to make it all the way through but it did happen with a hardcast.
2t6zON3.jpg

Back