hornady 50 Cal Sabot with 44 Cal 240 gr HP XTP? Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antony35

Reaction score
helo folks ,
i need advice on hornady 50 Cal Sabot with 44 Cal 240 gr HP XTP? Bullet . did any one tried this bullet . i hope this one will do good on deers at 100- 150 yards
antony

That bullet has been killing deer in a MMP green sabot for about 25 years now. You will have to ask Del (SABOTMAKER) for sure, but I think that was the first sabot at MMP, and that bullet has probably killed more deer out of that sabot than any other.

You do your part, and the bullet will do it's part. I personally think there are better bullets available today, but the 240 gr XTP is very capable.

I see this is aan old post but that combo was with a box a of stuff a friend gave me from his deceased brother. Had to buy a gun to go with it all! Got T/C Impact w/ scope cheap at BPS ($199.) 6 shots later had a nice AL 8-PT on the ground. He ran maybe 40 yds and piled up, solid double lung hit at about 100 yds. 5-50gr. T777 pellets and that Hornady combo shoots into about 1.5" if I do good on my part. Been loading same bullet in Ruger .44 Carbine for years with great success.

That is a very good bullet. i killed a couple dozen deer and dozens of wild hogs using the 240 grain XTP along with two Pyrodex pellets or 100 grains of Pyrodex.

I shoot this bullet I my Optima pistol. Its accurate and hits like a freight train inside of 50 yards. I'm pushing the bullet with 63 weighed grains of BH209 and a green crush rib sabot. The first deer I took with this bullet/load was right at 40 yards broadside and never took a step. Very effective bullet. Exit about the size of a golf ball.

bubbinator,
" 5-50gr. T777 pellets and that Hornady combo"o_O
Doesn't 250 gr of 777 seems a bit much?:eek:
How much can you burn in that barrel?:rolleyes:
be careful out there...

I wouldn't be shooting 250 gr of 777 out of that gun, unless somewhere down the road you want to visit the emergency room. You may get by with it for awhile but your about 100 gr too heavy on powder.

So sorry Guys! That 5-50 gr. pellets of T777 was a typo on my part big time. Started with 2-50grs (100 gr total) then found 60gr. Magnum pellets of T777 at BPS> Now shoot 1-60gr + 1 50gr. of T777 for total of 110 grs. Most ever was that load. Never even tried 3 50 gr. T777s even though T/C said 150 gr. was OK. Please excuse the faux pas.

Latest posts

Back