Hornady 50 Caliber Bore Driver FTX

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So to me.. it looks like the 50gr was not fast enough to expand properly...

And the 80gr expanded but separated from the jacket.

A few questions:

1- are these grs by weight (or by volume)?

2- did you have any issues sealing them and getting instant cracked off shots (with the Blackhorn)?

3- do you have chrony data on muzzle velocity?

Thanks for sharing both tests Ron, looking like my Barnes TE-Z & MZ along with Harvester/Hornady XTP combos will remain as my go to bullet/sabot combos.

I used 4 diesel fluid jugs (2.5 US gallons) at 60 yards with same bullet. I used 150gr of White Hot powder. I found the tip and a few crumbs of lead and copper. The bullet stopped inside the 4th. Total weight recovered was 265gr, 191 of which was in last jug. I think the 50gr load in this first test was completely inadequate. 80 or 90 of your powder would be a more realistic hunting load.

I think the 50gr load in this first test was completely inadequate. 80 or 90 of your powder would be a more realistic hunting load.
Like the 80gr load that was done in post #15?
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/hornady-50-caliber-bore-driver-ftx.39356/#post-354878
How do you suppose the impact velocity of the 50gr load at 25yards compares to the impact velocity of a 100gr load at say 100-150yards? My guess would be not to terribly far off and would have similar performance on impact. That is sort of the point of the 50gr test. The claimed BC is a abismal .135 so it sheds velocity fast. Leaving the bore at 1920 fps its down to almost 1200fps by 150 yards. You are looking at 110gr+ load of BH209 to reach that speed too.

Last edited:
I think the 50gr load in this first test was completely inadequate. 80 or 90 of your powder would be a more realistic hunting load.

Agreed. Did you see the rainbow?

rainbow1.jpg

Yes Ron, I like the Rainbow! I know you have probably said in a previous thread, but just wondering what you have attached in front of the first jug?

Are these grs by weight (or by volume)?

Thanks for asking this question. In this date and age you really never know. A heck of lot of people are converting volume to weight and a lot of others are using volume.

I really do not think you can assume one or the other any longer and it could possibly lead to a problem.

But... I believe Ron has always in the past indicated - V. But you know what assumptions can lead to.

What concerns me about that bullet is that it performed like a solid at 25 yds, yes with 50 grs of BH 209, but that's still a decent load for 25 yds! As well, those water jugs are a much harder target than and a deer or elk in the ribs.

Will this bullet perform in the same manner even with a stouter load say at 200+ yds when it is slowing considerably? After seeing that, I wouldn't even consider these for hunting.

Thanks for the testing Ron. I will stick with using the Barnes TMZ 250 grain.

Thanks for asking this question. In this date and age you really never know. A heck of lot of people are converting volume to weight and a lot of others are using volume.

I really do not think you can assume one or the other any longer and it could possibly lead to a problem.

But... I believe Ron has always in the past indicated - V. But you know what assumptions can lead to.
Use all CAPS. As in VOLUME or WEIGHED.

Back