Hornady FPB

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
Evening gentleman,

We are headed back into lockdown for covid and it looks as though we may lose the remainder of our antlered deer season. With that I spoke to my manager and organised for two days off work to go hunting and do a few other jobs before things get tough.

I opened up a new pack of FPB to grab a few for my hunt and noticed quite a few have imperfections, some not so bad others terrible. Without thinking I threw 3 of the worst into the bin then figured I should have asked the question here.

I took a few pics of some of the better ones I decided to take tomorrow. Do you think this could affect accuracy?

1 is all inside the concave area with what looks like chipping around the rim.
20200802_235310.jpg

The other is dented, but from the condition it is in it looks as though it came out of the factory like this. Pics don't really show it off very well. The few bad ones I chucked were like this but quite a bit worse.
20200802_235045.jpg

20200802_235204.jpg

Is this going to affect accuracy because of uneven pressure as it moves through the barrel?

Footnote: I didn't notice this issue previously but on inspection of two new packs they both have them.

I shoot the 350 FPB's in a few of my guns. I have dropped and bent a few bases. They seemed to shoot fine. I believe they straighten back out during obturation. Depending on how they are bent, they may be difficult to load.
On the other hand. When I drop and ding up a flat based bullet they will be set aside as fouling shot bullets.

I just checked a package that is at least 8 years old, and they look similar to yours.

Last edited:
Just picked me up a pack of FPB 300 gr to try in my T/C Omega

Last edited:
Pick out the better ones for your hunting. And rather than throw the bad plating out save then for the range. You might be surprised @ how well they shoot.
My FPB's are 350gr. and the skirts are well plated on the inside and very smooth .
Have not checked them on a scale for Wht. consistency.

I have a pack with only 3 used from it... 50 cal, 300 gr... I won't be using these as I sold the inline, sticking with my traditional PRB.

Latest posts

Back