Hornady FTX 325 - Ballistic Gel Results

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend several yrs. ago Shot a 500+ lb. boar in Miss. with a 45-70 hand loads 325ftx @ around 2000fps. Shot was at about 35yds. and at last light. The hog ran into the swamp and was not pursued til the next morn. He shot it in the shoulder (not the best place to shoot a wild boar) the bullet did not exit but the boar was found less than 70yds. from where he shot it. I would say that unless you are shooting at screaming speeds in a sml that they should hold up well.

Encore: the stated speed on the box is 2200fps but I believe that is with like a 24" barrel. I was shooting it out of my 18" ar. My guess would be 1900-2000fps

Encore: the stated speed on the box is 2200fps but I believe that is with like a 24" barrel. I was shooting it out of my 18" ar. My guess would be 1900-2000fps
Might be right. I have no clue about the AR platforms, other than a friend let me shoot his a few times.
I've taken just one whitetail with the 250gr FTX and the shot placement was perfect. I had blood for 25yds as high as my head in the brush. Other Bushmaster shooters despise the 250 FTX. Go figure.........

The FTX bullets are nothing more than a hollow point bullet with a plastic insert to improve aero dynamics .
Remove the plastic tip and you will get the picture.
Try the 245 gr. Hornady Interlock P/N # 45204 it's a SEMI POINT .452 Dia.
They to will shed their jacket if moved to fast. But will work well 2000 fps or less. With maybe a little less reaction.

Back