Hot, biting bugs, Gypsy moths

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Yup, its been hot and not as hot as some. For some reason the biting bugs have taped a target to me. Black flies, horse flies, deer flies and just about every other bug that likes to bite are out in force this year here.
The gypsy moths have/are eating the entire canopies out of many trees this year. Sounds like its raining for them crapping in the woods.

Its basically put a damper on wanting to do any shooting at the club. You'd need a couple thermocells, along with a full can of bug spray just to tolerate it. Just wouldn't be much fun :(

So........ might as well spend some time on the road. We put 240 miles on the Slingshot yesterday, taking today off and tomorrow and we're planning on over 500 miles. That will require frequent stops to hydrate, but heading to see family we haven't seen in over a year. Those we're going to visit all appear to be Covid free, so it'll be nice to see everyone again. Thankfully its not because of a funeral.

Find something you enjoy to do and do it. Visit and converse with family you haven't see or heard from in a long time. At the age of many of us, time isn't on our side.

TEST: Pull out your tape measure to 78". Hold your fingers on it. Then with your other hand, place it on your age. 78"???? That's the average life span in America. It gives you an idea......

Thanks but I really don't need to know.

On the bugs.....I'ts been very dry up at our cabin and the flies are just not there. Mosquitoes and ticks, now those two are in abundance. I sprayed all of our yard clothes inside and out with permitherin and hung them out to dry before we packed for the last trip and I still had 5 ticks attach. During the day if one stays where there's good sun the mosquitoes do bother. when that sun starts to set a guy needs to be dosed up good with a product having more than 40% deet though.

Yup, its been hot and not as hot as some. For some reason the biting bugs have taped a target to me. Black flies, horse flies, deer flies and just about every other bug that likes to bite are out in force this year here.
The gypsy moths have/are eating the entire canopies out of many trees this year. Sounds like its raining for them crapping in the woods.

Its basically put a damper on wanting to do any shooting at the club. You'd need a couple thermocells, along with a full can of bug spray just to tolerate it. Just wouldn't be much fun :(

So........ might as well spend some time on the road. We put 240 miles on the Slingshot yesterday, taking today off and tomorrow and we're planning on over 500 miles. That will require frequent stops to hydrate, but heading to see family we haven't seen in over a year. Those we're going to visit all appear to be Covid free, so it'll be nice to see everyone again. Thankfully its not because of a funeral.

Find something you enjoy to do and do it. Visit and converse with family you haven't see or heard from in a long time. At the age of many of us, time isn't on our side.

TEST: Pull out your tape measure to 78". Hold your fingers on it. Then with your other hand, place it on your age. 78"???? That's the average life span in America. It gives you an idea......

An Ole Boy here showed me that Tape measure test, Eye opener huh?

Bugs, Mosquitos and Ticks are the MISERABLE “BLEEEEEEEPS” around here! I cover up in Repellent Which Definitely helps, Then you have that Nasty stinkin, oily Feeling Repellant on ya. Ticks will stil get on, I have picked No telling how many off of me this Spring. The Worst place was where i Shot the 1,100 Yard .308, I had several Ticks on me EVERYTIME i stepped on that Ridge my Gong Target was Set up on. I had em Crawling on my Shoes, All over my Clothes. I get driving down the Rd and Feel one get Started on my Skin, HATE THEM THINGS!!

They call these a Lone Star Tick
LONE STAR TICK Amblyomma americanum
WHERE FOUND Widely distributed in the eastern United States, but more common in the South.
TRANSMITS Ehrlichia chaffeensis and E. ewingii (which cause human ehrlichiosis), Francisella tularensis (tularemia), Heartland virus (Heartland virus disease), Bourbon virus (Bourbon virus disease), and Southern tick-associated rash illness (STARI).
COMMENTS The greatest risk of being bitten exists in early spring through late fall. A very aggressive tick that bites humans. The adult female is distinguished by a white dot or “lone star” on her back. The nymph and adult females most frequently bite humans.
Allergic reactions associated with Consumption of Red (Mammalian) Meat Have been reported among persons bitten by lone Star ticks

Here is a Pic i took of one on my Pant Leg
LKJMg6Tm.jpg

Damn ticks are bad everywhere.

When I was a kid, I never had shoes or at least shoes that fit. We played outside from daylight to dark, running around in the weeds, hunting frogs and snakes and about the worst thing that may happen was wading in the old pond and having a blood sucker try to attach. Never once, not one time did we have a tick on us.

What the hell happened that has brought on so many ticks???

I have been medicated twice for Lymes, once already this early summer. I have that allergic reaction to red meat if its not cooked well done, from a tick bite that was also carrying Lymes three years ago. That's a life long thing too....you do not get over it. And you don't know the meaning of sick until you have this issue and eat a steak medium rare. Two hours. Then you'll think you are going to die puking for the next five or six hours.

WHAT??? Explain this further please.

WHAT??? Explain this further please.

The average life span for an American is 78 years old.

So if you use a tape measure and each inch is considered one year, pull the tape measure out to 78", which is the average life span in America.
Then put your other hand on your age. In my case I'm 68. So considering the average age of death, I have 10yrs left if I'm average.
It also shows you how much of your life you've already used up.

The average life span for an American is 78 years old.

So if you use a tape measure and each inch is considered one year, pull the tape measure out to 78", which is the average life span in America.
Then put your other hand on your age. In my case I'm 68. So considering the average age of death, I have 10yrs left if I'm average.
It also shows you how much of your life you've already used up.

That's depressing!!! I have 13 inches left!

Last edited:
Back