Hot ejected 22 cases

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
When vermin show up and you need to react quickly, make sure more of the rifle is outside the back door, where the ejected round can hit on the patio and not bounce back off the door casing.
Loose slippers and hot 22 cases DO NOT MIX!
TRUST ME................... YOU CAN NOT GET THAT SLIPPER OFF FAST ENOUGH!

IMG_2269.JPG

I was a medic in the Army in the late 70's at Ft. Lewis, Washington. None of the non-combat designated, support units on post were assigned their own medics due to a lack of qualified people.

As a result, my unit's headquarters company TOE, was over staffed with medics. We were a combat heavy, engineer batallion. At any given time we had from a minimum of 11 medics, to a maximum of 17. The reason for this was that whenever a non-combat unit required a medic for a field maneuver, road trip, or yearly weapons qualification, one of us was assigned TOD to that unit for however long was needed.

Sometimes only a day, sometimes weeks. As a result, I never got bored during my 3 year hitch.

Now, to get to the point of the thread.

I was with one of these units at the range for annual M-16 weapons qualification.

Side note*** Army armourors NEVER turned in excess to needs ammo after everyone was finished qualifying. That ammo ALWAYS got shot up, instead of being turned in. ALWAYS! ALWAYS!! ALWAYS!!!!!!!!

So, as a medic, I was usually enlisted at the end of the qualifying to help shoot up the excess ammo.

Usually, the shooter's were spaced apart from one another by at least 2 firing pits. This particular day, there was so much ammo to shoot away, that the range sargeant put all of the shooters next to one another in the pits, so that one of his corporals could retrieve the empty magazines, and bring freshly loaded ones.

The butterball lieutenant next to me elected to disobey the range officer, who had expressly forbidden full auto shooting, and ripped off an entire 20-round magazine of 5.56 ammo in a couple of seconds. Several of the ejected cases, came over into my pit, bounced off my left shoulder and head, but one very friendly, burning hot cartridge case decided that I was lonely, needed companionship, and proceeded to burrow its way right down next to my skin between my T-shirt & my body.

Fortunately, I was between pulling the trigger (no 3-shot burst capability on those old rifles), dropped the rifle on the ground in front of the pit, started screaming, jumping up & down like a maniac, pulling both my blouse & T-shirt out of my pants, trying to get that blazing hot case away from my skin.

The range officer called "Cease Fire", and the range sargeant's ran down to my pit to see "What the **** was going on!!!!!!"

Once I got the case out, and the sargeant's & the officer figured out what was going on, everybody but me had a good laugh, as this had happened to all of them at one time, or another.

The range officer ate the lieutenant a new ***hole for disobeying his orders not to fire full auto, and we finished up the totally hard task of shooting of about 800 rounds per shooter.

And, I learned a VERY important lesson.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS button the top button on your blouse when in the pits shooting off ammo next to anybody YOU DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That way a hot cartridge case from the guy in the pit to the left can't go down your blouse, or T-shirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was out running fence for a farmer in the summer while in high school. I worked summers for him for the hunting rights on 10,000 plus acres and very minimal pay.

Any way, during a holy hot stretch of summer we were fencing through a prairie dog town and during lunch break we would break out the 22s to burn 50 or so rounds. I set up on a chunk of canvas next to a railroad tie we had just put in and set. Cycling my marlin 39a while sitting and leaning the gun up on the post the empty ricocheted off the post and magically made it to the hole tore in the crotch of my pants.

The rancher said I looked like I had sat on a bull snake that went up my pants searching for a prairie dog.

Somehow I managed to place my 39a on the canvas before I ran in a circle like my hair was on fire All the way to my crack.

25+ years later I still go back there hunting and helping around the ranch and he still tells that story every year around the hunt table amongst friends.

The first and only time I ever shot a Garand left handed, it sent the first two empty .30-06 cases into my shirt collar under my right ear. HOT!

ADK Bigfoot

Thats why the US Government is working on polymer case for the military. It is lighter and easier for the average soldier to carry more ammo. There was a company in Garland Texas involved in this and the company i worked for sold them Swiss machines to make the ss base to hold the primers. These were then molded into the polymer cases. A fired 5.56 case could be caught in mid air after being fired and not burn your hand. When fired the case neck expanded to release the bullet and then retracted back to original shape. Pretty cool stuff. I kept one case as an example. Dont know where it went from there. I knew they were having trouble with their high altitude tests. I retired 2 years ago.
DL

I used to instruct a handgun course and I'd warn the ladies ahead of time about low cut shirts... I never saw one rip her shirt off all the way but it was close a time or two. it happened to the guys as well but wasn't as interesting to watch.

Latest posts

Back