Hot Sauce -- "What's In Your Kitchen?"

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't claim to be a true hot sauce aficionado.

I can recall going into a McDonald's fast food restaurant in San Antonio, Texas in the year 1976. I was at Ft. Sam Houston for my Advanced Individual Training (AIT) to become a medic in the Army. A bunch of us trainees had gone off base, and McDonald's was an inexpensive lunch.

On a sideboard like shelf on one side of the restaurant was an incredible array of hot sauces stationed next to the napkins, salt and pepper. Most of which I had never heard of before. The only one that I recognized was, of course, standard Tabasco Sauce.

That's when I realized that I was not in white bread Baltimore, Maryland any longer. I had encountered a far different culture than the one I was born into.

That set me on a course to eat spicy food that, to some degree, I am still following. Kimchee, and all kinds of spicy Korean food came along just a few months later when I got to Ft Lewis, Washington where I spent 3 years.

All these years later, I will admit to a fondness for plain, old regular Tabasco sauce.

What's your favorite hot sauce(s)?
I like a few diff hot sauces, Tabasco is eeeehh - ok. it will due when theres nuthin better. Texas Pete is a fav & when I tried Boarshead hotsauce, I was hooked right off. Great flavor without bein punishing goin in & comin out. Its my fav hotsauce. But like with mustards, I'll always have a few diff kinds in the frig door for diff uses.

One of my daughters gifted me a bottle of Trader Joe’s Peri Peri sauce. I really like it. It’s the only sauce I‘ve ever seen that lists lemon juice as the first ingredient.

• LEMON JUICE
  • WATER
  • FERMENTED CHILIES (CHILIES, SALT)
  • SUNFLOWER OIL
  • GARLIC
  • SALT
  • DRIED CHILI FLAKES
  • XANTHAN GUM.
That is one of the reasons i like Lola's. Lime juice is listed before the vinegar and the first ingredient is PEPPERS. Second ingredient is PEPPERS and that is the whole reason i buy hot sauce....For the PEPPERS. :D The super low 10mg of sodium per tsp is just a nice bonus.
https://www.lolasfinehotsauce.com/product-category/fine-hot-sauces/Ingredients: Red Jalapenos, Habanero Peppers, Garlic, Lime Juice, Vinegar, Salt

Another type i LOVE on some food is sweet and spicy. The Tabasco Sweet Spicy is not all that bad and really mild. Even on sale though its a little expensive since you can use a ton of it on one meal. Many people like Mae Ploy sweet Thai chile sauce but this one is better if you want a tad more heat and a better ingredient list. Get either the original or the ginger. I didnt care as much for the extra hot. This kind of sauce is also very easy to make.

Linghams sweet chile sauce.
https://www.lingham.com/product/hot-sauce-original/
https://www.lingham.com/product/hot-sauce-with-ginger/

Latest posts

Back