Hotrod Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Possum

Reaction score
I want to build a hotrod hawken. Can y'all tell me where to find the parts & what's the best shooting caliber? TIA

I want to build a hotrod hawken. Can y'all tell me where to find the parts & what's the best shooting caliber? TIA

Undoubtedly .45 Cal, And i Do HIGHLY advise Rice Barrels, they make a 1:20 Twist .45 Cal “Drop in” for the TC Hawken, Or Renegade. Just remember if you go Hawken they have 2 Different Stock Channel sizes, The 45/50 TC Hawkens have 15/16” Barrel Channels, and the .54 Cal TC Hawken has a 1” Barrel Channel. ALL TC Renegades are 1” inch. The Rice Barrel “Drop ins” Come in the White and Must be Blued, or Browned by You the Customer.

Green Mountain no longer makes their LRH line of Drop in Barrels (SAD DEAL!!) They do Show up on the Used Market from time to time, They also Bring a Premium price. Their .45 LRH is a 1:30 Twist which is ok, But my experience with my Rice 1:20 Twist has Shown it to Definitely OUTPERFORM My 1:30 Twist GM LRH Barrels, NOTHING Wrong with the GM LRH .45 Barrels, I LOVE MINE!! But my Rice will Out Shoot it ANY Day. Before i Spent TOP DOLLAR on a GM LRH Barrel on the Used Market, i would UNDOUBTEDLY Spend the Money on the New Rice 1:20 Twist Barrel!! If you were to Stumble Across a Really Good Deal on a GM LRH in .45 Cal (200-250 Bucks) Then GRAB IT!

As to Which Stock, Hawken Or Renegade? That’s simply a personal preference thing, i have Both and Like Each of them equally Well. Some Don’t like the Crescent Butt plate of the TC Hawken’s and have Cut them Back and installed Recoil Pads, I personally don’t mind the Crescent Plate of the TC Hawkens, I have 2 of them Setup with Fast Twist Barrels and shoot some Pretty Stout Loads, Not a Problem for me. Again it’s a personal preference thing.

Sights, It depends on what you want to do? For Hunting The Lyman 57SML, And Williams FP Hawken are Both AWESOME Tang Mounted Peep Sights. Front sights, again personal preference thing, I personally LOVE the 17 Series Globe Front Sights with Lee Shaver’s Fine BPCR inserts, Then again I shoot 99% Target/Benchrest. If i were Strictly a Hunter with my Muzzleloaders, i would probably end up going with an Open Fiber Optic type Bead Front sight. Globe Front Sights are HORRIBLE in Low light situations, to the Point that you are Blind Looking Through them. I shoot the Globe Front sights SO WELL, that i am Willing to Trade off Low Light (Yes it SUCKS!) For better lighting, If i see a Deer at 200-250 Yards he’s in BAD TROUBLE

I called and talked to the owner of making a 45cal 1/20 twist ,1 inch oct. 4140 barrel and he said it would be well over a year, because he is swamped with making his round ball barrels. I also talked to him at Friendship last September and it was a different story.

I called and talked to the owner of making a 45cal 1/20 twist ,1 inch oct. 4140 barrel and he said it would be well over a year, because he is swamped with making his round ball barrels. I also talked to him at Friendship last September and it was a different story.

WOW! Over A year is an awful Long Wait! I would look elsewhere before i waited that long.

This is something i am VERY SERIOUS about doing in the near Future. I plan to Buy a .450/458 Barrel Blank from one of the BIG Names Someday soon, like Kreiger, Brux, Douglas, Bartlein, Etc. Send it to Someone like Jim Carpenter and Have him Finish it. Thread it for the Breech Plug, install a Rice Breech Plug. Mill the Flats, Cut Dovetails, Etc.

Like this! You would have a 1 on Custom Sidelock Barrel :lewis: It will be expensive, unless you find a REALLY good deal on a Blank. But this is Definitely an idea, and one I have been SERIOUSLY Pondering for a Long time now.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/krieger...50-bore-458-groove-chrome-moly-barrel-kri4518

Yes I have ,that is were I went to but Joe said it would be 4 mounth wait there with no guarantee of that at all. I would of went with a green Mountain winchester taper 4140 450/458 that I havery on my long range competition hennry, that shoots very well.
,but I needed a 1 inch octagon to match my two other interchangeable barrels I had made at Colerain, 50 cal1/28 and a turkey choke 20 ga .

"Patience is a virtue". Or some bs like that... I would be willing to wait to get exactly what i want instead of settling for second best. My wife always reminds me of the money I've spent and not gotten what i really want.

If you got to spend the extra $$$$ its very much worth getting a 4140 or better cut rifled barrel. None of them are what you would call cheap. Brux is excellent for the money. They are super popular with the SML builders. Rock Creek is another not often mentioned. Some will do the rough octagon contouring but be prepared to shell out some bucks for that. It aint cheap.
https://www.rockcreekbarrels.com/barrel-info/cut-rifled-barrels

If you got to spend the extra $$$$ its very much worth getting a 4140 or better cut rifled barrel. None of them are what you would call cheap. Brux is excellent for the money. They are super popular with the SML builders. Rock Creek is another not often mentioned. Some will do the rough octagon contouring but be prepared to shell out some bucks for that. It aint cheap.

I agree, as I said in Post #9 I really want to do this Sometime, But It’s simply a Want vs a need For me. This Small Bore (9 MM) Fast Twist Barrel that Jim Carpenter Built for me Shoots REALLY Good, Its “Cut Rifling” on an OLD Pratt & Whitney Cut Rifling Machine. I am Not Crazy about the Barrel Stock Material that Jim prefers for Muzzleloader Barrels, 12L 14 Steel, Which is a Leaded Steel, It’s my understanding that ALL TC Barrels were Made of this Steel? Again, this Barrel That Jim Built for me Shoots REALLY well, But i would Prefer a 4140 Match Grade Type Blank. I would put my Rice 1:20 Twist .45 Cal Barrel up against ANYTHING, This Barrel FLAT OUT Shoots!! And it’s not Picky, i have Shot Little 45 ACP Pistol Bullets in it, On up to 480 Grain BIG Lead, This Rice LAYS them Right in there!!

I just got my barrel from rice. Ordered it in February and received it in October. Was it worth the wait. Yes so far it was. Made it to fit in a tc Hawkins stock and fit very nice. No hassle just a drop in to exact measurements Made in 4140 stock steel and ada to send it to Mel Doyle for the bluing and was impressed by both of there work. Turned out amazing and durable.

Honestly, the Lyman GPR Hunter 1-32" is a darn good rifle for bullet shooting and very affordable. I realize it's not a .45 but the .50 can shoot a lot of different projectiles and is factory drilled to bolt on a receiver sight. Last summer there were sellers on Gunbroker who had finished rifles (not kits) for $437.00

I don't have a lot to offer that hasn't been already said. But I can offer a picture of the original Hot Rod Hawken. I love that rifle and enjoy using it on game every year. It and the Hot Rod Renegades have been my go to rifles for over a dozen years.

vhIbDpW.jpg

XBVpRgE.jpg

0ObLSsp.jpg

I love rea
WOW! Over A year is an awful Long Wait! I would look elsewhere before i waited that long.

This is something i am VERY SERIOUS about doing in the near Future. I plan to Buy a .450/458 Barrel Blank from one of the BIG Names Someday soon, like Kreiger, Brux, Douglas, Bartlein, Etc. Send it to Someone like Jim Carpenter and Have him Finish it. Thread it for the Breech Plug, install a Rice Breech Plug. Mill the Flats, Cut Dovetails, Etc.

Like this! You would have a 1 on Custom Sidelock Barrel :lewis: It will be expensive, unless you find a REALLY good deal on a Blank. But this is Definitely an idea, and one I have been SERIOUSLY Pondering for a Long time now.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/krieger...50-bore-458-groove-chrome-moly-barrel-kri4518
I love reading your posts & as I told ya recently I'm a big fan & follower of your YouTube videos & were long before I ever found MML. Out of all the really cool, super smart, dead eye shooters I've come across, you are deff one of the top handful of men that I'd absolutely love to meet & pull a trigger or two together. I wouldn't even mind ya makin me look like a rookie novice shooter either lol. Kind regards, thank you for all you contribute to our shared loves & to everyone that asks.

I was just FB messaging Rock Creek. They don't do the breech plug threading or octagon barrels. It would have to be done by a gunsmith or machinist. So i think Rice is still the place I'll be getting a barrel from for my Hawken.

Latest posts

Back