How about a BPCR Sub Forum? (Black Powder Cartridge)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love it !! I load for my '66 and 68 Springfield trapdoors and a Sharps SRC all in 50/70 plus have a #1 in 45/70. Also 2 ea 1884 Trapdoors I load for but don't shoot often. Maybe this would get me off of my pelosi with renewed interest..............................................Trader

I've only loaded for the Springfield Trapdoor rifles. Still have two that includes a carbine I have yet to shoot. I started out following Spence Wolfs notes and then purchased a mold from NOE. Have them ready to load just haven't gotten that far. These are cool old rifles with lots of history. I have only loaded with BP but do intend to use smokeless at some point.

One of my 1884s is a really nice SRC..I've shot all of my TD at one time or another. My wife is the one who likes the old springfields !!!....................Trader

I've only loaded for the Springfield Trapdoor rifles. Still have two that includes a carbine I have yet to shoot. I started out following Spence Wolfs notes and then purchased a mold from NOE. Have them ready to load just haven't gotten that far. These are cool old rifles with lots of history. I have only loaded with BP but do intend to use smokeless at some point.
Be VERY careful if you shoot smokeless. These old guns are not made to withstand the pressures of smokeless powder. I have seen trapdoors blow open shooting modern loads.

Be VERY careful if you shoot smokeless. These old guns are not made to withstand the pressures of smokeless powder. I have seen trapdoors blow open shooting modern loads.

What about a new 1874 Shiloh Sharps in .45-70, 34” Barrel. Is it possible to push a 500 Grain Bullet to 2,200 Fps? Smokeless of course. There was a young guy with a New Shiloh making that Claim, I called BS on it. That is .458 Win Mag Territory with a .45-70

What about a new 1874 Shiloh Sharps in .45-70, 34” Barrel. Is it possible to push a 500 Grain Bullet to 2,200 Fps? Smokeless of course. There was a young guy with a New Shiloh making that Claim, I called BS on it. That is .458 Win Mag Territory with a .45-70
According to Kirk, the owner and builder of Shiloh, you can shoot anything in a Shiloh 45/70 that you can in a Ruger #1 of the same caliber.

According to Kirk, the owner and builder of Shiloh, you can shoot anything in a Shiloh 45/70 that you can in a Ruger #1 of the same caliber.

That part makes sense. I guess a better way of putting it is, I just wasn’t buying 2,200 Fps with a 500 Grain Jacketed Bullet from a .45-70, None of my loading manuals show anything like that? Nosler, Barnes, Hornady, and Hodgdon. About 1,800 Fps looked to be TOPS. But truth is, I don’t know the 45-70s Capabilities like i do many other Cartridges, I have never owned, or Loaded for one

I sure wouldn't try it with the spaghetti guns though. And who the hell would want to shoot copper bullets out of a fine rifle like that anyhow? I did see some 300 gr loads that were that hot. But ya the 500s are around 1800.

I would like to see one i just picked up a c-sharps 45-90 and started paper patch load development and have been learning from a very experienced shooter who has one many bpcr shooting matches around the country.

I would like to see one i just picked up a c-sharps 45-90 and started paper patch load development and have been learning from a very experienced shooter who has one many bpcr shooting matches around the country.

Its funny how different we all are, i have been Paper Patching for Muzzleloader from my very beginning in the Hobby, That is actually what interested me in doing this, and where a LOT of my Knowledge is at. I love my Paper Patch Bullets for certain situations (Target/Bench Shooting)
That said, i was just talking to Dave Gullo (our World Champion) the other Day in Buffalo Arms about Paper Patch, And Grease Groove. Dave smiled and said “I love to see the Paper Patch Guy’s coming” :D Dave is a Grease Groove Guy.
I have shot some AMAZING Groups with my Paper Patch over the years, But i have also done the EXACT same thing with my Grease Groove. I can’t say that 1 is better than the other, I enjoy them Both. I will say that a Good Grease Groove is FAR & AWAY Easier to Work with, Paper Patching, at least to do it right takes a LOT More Skill, and Time. When you get Paper Patch Right, it can be very Rewarding, But no more so than a Good Grease Groove

But truth is, I don’t know the 45-70s Capabilities like i do many other Cartridges, I have never owned, or Loaded for one
I've reloaded tons of .45-70 for Marlin lever guns. But that's just a small niche. I think those old cartridges could have enormous potential in modern guns. And what about their potential with Swiss Caviar powder?? There's also discussions of alloys, PP vs plain lead, or checks...

You know, we should really start a new forum here for BPCR Guns...

Is it possible to push a 500 Grain Bullet to 2,200 Fps?
I've gotten gas checked 430 grainers (Hard Cast) to almost 2000 fps without a much effort or any over-pressure signs using H4198 out of a 26" barrel. If you added another 8 inches of barrel, you could maybe wring out another 100-150 fps. I think 500 grains bullets at 2,200 fps is a pretty tall order.

That being said, why would you even try? Leading, shortened cartridge case life, beaten up shoulders... for comparison, the average 150 grain load of .30-06 produces recoil energy of about 18-19 ft-lbs. That 500 grainer at 2,200 would hit your shoulder with better than 76 ft-lbs of energy - and you all know this forum is populated by a bunch o' old dudes (me included), and you old bastards ain't having any fun with that kinda recoil!

Its funny how different we all are, i have been Paper Patching for Muzzleloader from my very beginning in the Hobby, That is actually what interested me in doing this, and where a LOT of my Knowledge is at. I love my Paper Patch Bullets for certain situations (Target/Bench Shooting)
That said, i was just talking to Dave Gullo (our World Champion) the other Day in Buffalo Arms about Paper Patch, And Grease Groove. Dave smiled and said “I love to see the Paper Patch Guy’s coming” :D Dave is a Grease Groove Guy.
I have shot some AMAZING Groups with my Paper Patch over the years, But i have also done the EXACT same thing with my Grease Groove. I can’t say that 1 is better than the other, I enjoy them Both. I will say that a Good Grease Groove is FAR & AWAY Easier to Work with, Paper Patching, at least to do it right takes a LOT More Skill, and Time. When you get Paper Patch Right, it can be very Rewarding, But no more so than a Good Grease Groove
I started with pp and I just cast some gg cant say yet which will be more accurate in my rifle I just ordered a .458 sizer die so I can test the gg bullets. I know gg can be very accurate I can shoot amazing groups out of my white rifles I just have to find what my rifle likes best then that's what I'll stick with but when I buffalo hunt it will be a pp for sure

some won't shoot
[/QUOTE
135489013_3901280866584456_6851653735610932996_n.jpg135652796_3901280833251126_5063071770628660165_n.jpg135480650_3901273686585174_6071795952142159998_n.jpgmore info at this site BLACK POWDER CARTRIDGE RIFLE SILHOUETTE SHOOTERS ASSOCIATION this is Facebook page

Last edited:
Back