How accurate is this gun suppose to be??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No luck with the Barnes in the red. The 385 weren't too bad, in my gun the XTP's were better. Thanks.

Barnes red sabots and MMP Purples are the same size but Del implied the reds are tougher. As far as Barnes, the 325gr is rather long. The 275gr is the better bullet unless shooting near max loads. I shot that bullet for years.

54x50 is the way to go but if you want to try a good 54x45 sabot the Harvester red 54x45 is a excellent sabot. Back when Knight sent bullets with the rifles they shipped the MMP Purple with the Speer 50cal 325gr JHP. Best bullet ever for 54cal MLs. That bullet is made for 50A&E but will handle 50 Beowulf speeds. Around 1800fps or so. 50A&E was around 1450fps with a 325gr and that Speer excels in that impact range.
RIEtwwY.jpg

ni7tBm0.jpg

Cross section pics of various 50cal bullets. The Speer is the forth from the left. Speer 300gr is second.
cIDTiWu.jpg

Good luck finding them in stock
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/17371

Last edited:
See that bullet in action at Beowulf speed in gel.

At 50A&E speed. While the 300gr Speer penetrated deeper the shock from the 325gr is more intense. Really nasty wound channel

I Will likely get the No Excuses and give them a try along with the XTP's......if I can find them. Seems XTP's are currently in short supply. I will try the thinner jackets as well as the thicker jackets.
I have a few different No Excuses bullets. I had a tough time getting really great accuracy until I started weighing them and grouping them by weight. They were not very consistent. These were purchased at least ten years ago so things may well have changed.

Thanks for the vids! Pretty impressive to say the least. Yes, you are correct. Good luck finding them is right. Here is another bullet that shot decent out of my gun. The old Winchester 400 gr. Platinum's. 50 cals. Not as good as the XTP's did though. Here are the red 54/45 sabots I use.

Attachments

• IMG_6507.JPG
    IMG_6507.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6508.JPG
    IMG_6508.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6509.JPG
    IMG_6509.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 6
I hope they have. There discription said they are weighed when I checked last week. Maybe they didn't do that back then, not quite sure what's going on there.

GM54-120, I remember the first year I got my knight 54 I shot a large doe at approx. 50 yards sitting on a plaster bucking along the wood line. Hit her square in the shoulder, the bullet traveled up to the spin, along the spin, then went under something like the 3rd from the last vertibrate and just broke the hide. When I hung the deer up the bullet fell out of the hide. It wasn't till I skinned it that I knew what went on. That is a true story. That bullet dang near could of been reloaded and shot again. If I remember correctly, when they first came out they had issues with those bullets that went with the knight muzzle loader rifles.

I dont think you will ever get a 400gr going fast enough with Pyrodex to perform correctly in a 54cal unless its something like a Rem700ML 54cal setup to use BH209. Even then you wont get more than about 1850fps. The Win ammo with that bullet is rated at 1675fps. The jacket is VERY thick.

That Speer bullet in my pic is the bullet that came with my MK85 Predator 54cal. Brand new in the box. IIRC there were 2 tubes of them bullets with sabot. I think i got about 1000 Barnes red sabots in 54x50 and a bunch of 50cal bullets too. I still got a 54cal but its based on the Knight DISC Extreme action. Green Mountain Barrel made a few hundred of them. At that time both Knight and GMB had the same parent company.

That sorry PTX bullet cost me a huge cow elk. Planned on using another bullet with a proven record on large game. A guy whose word i formerly trusted told me to use the PTX bullet.

Shot that elk through the lungs at about 75 yards with the PTX bullet driven by 150 grains of Pyrodex. The bullet failed to expand. Four of us looked for the animal for five hours to no avail. That afternoon another hunter found the elk and took her out. She had a pencil sized hole where the bullet exited.

Latest posts

Back