How do you reharden a frizzen?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know frizzens wear and lose their spark after a while (like some of us old fogies) so how do you go about getting the surface hard enough to throw a spark again?

One way is using Kasenit or Cherry Red. I get mine from MSC Industrial.

• Thoroughly heat the part to cherry red in color. Be sure part is completely heated for best results.
  • Coat part in Cherry Red Compound. Cover all surfaces to be hardened. Compound will blister and harden. Reheat part to cherry red color.
  • Quench in water, oil, or let part air cool, then brush off excess compound. Cherry Red is water soluble and excess can be removed with water and a little brushing.

You can use a torch or a forge. The trick is to get the total area you want hardened to the cherry red color.

Good information Coalforge, thank you.   :ttups:

shopping

This looks interesting
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I always saw leather and bone charcoal used to retreat a soft frizzen.

If I ever needed to reharden a frizzen, I'd probably take it to someone who has the tools and equipment to do the job,
A blacksmith, maybe?

If you look carefully at the sweater in front of the frizzen, you see something flying toward the muzzle. It is either sparks or flint chips. I can't tell which. If something is directed into the pan, I can't see it.

I always like those big military locks, but it was only after I slowed the playback down to half-speed could you see a few sparks flying forward. I just wished that YouTube video would have added on a few more seconds with some priming powder to at least prove the frizzen still worked after the can-in-fire treatment.

Wrapping a frizzen in leather and tossing it into a campfire was a soldiers way of getting a worn frizzen going, but I think it was only a rough fix until the gun could go to the regimental armourer.

Back