How does bullet length affect ballistics and accuracy?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to jacketed bullets with sabots. I've been to the range and had good luck with Hornady Monoflex 250 grain bullets on 90 volumetric grains of BH 209.

I was at Dick's today and wanted to pick up some more projectiles. They didn't have my Hornadys (they hardly had anything for muzzleloader supplies... a shelf smaller than an end cap), but they had Traditions Smackdowns in 250 grain. I bought one box and plan to test them out this week.

My question is: I was comparing the two, and the sabots are identical besides the color. Same with the spire point construction. But the Smackdown bullets are significantly shorter than the Monoflex ones. How can I expect this to affect my shots? I can find lots of info on the affects of a lighter or heavier projectile, and even on sabot length, but I couldn't seem to find much about bullet length. Can someone enlighten me?

The monoflex is a copper solid and will be longer when compared to a jacketed lead bullet of the same weight. Copper weighs much less than lead.
Try them both to see which shoots for you.

The monoflex is a copper solid and will be longer when compared to a jacketed lead bullet of the same weight. Copper weighs much less than lead.
Try them both to see which shoots for you.

Well, yes. That's why they are larger and still the same weight. What I'm asking is how the length of two projectiles of identical weight will differ in flight. And yes, I understand that it ultimately comes down to what shoots best in my rifle. But let's say I find a load that gives me the same consistency as the Monoflex. What are the advantages and disadvantages of longer vs shorter? Will the shorter bullet expand better due to the lead core? Is a longer projectile generally more stable in flight, or is it a negligible difference? Aerodynamics have to play a roll here.

Look them up on a spin stability calculator. There may not be enough difference to make a difference. Stability mainly depends on four factors, barrel twist, bullet length, bullet weight, velocity.
Of course barrel twist and velocity make the spin rate (rpm) so really three factors,
A long, heavy bullet out of a slow twist, may not spin fast enough to stabilize. While a short light bullet out of a fast twist may be spinning too fast to stabilize.
As suggested above, try them both.
You might want to look up the velocity range on both bullets also to make sure you’re pushing them hard enough to get good terminal performance.

Latest posts

Back