Quantcast

How long do you leave your muzzleloader charged during season?

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

How long do you leave your muzzleloader charged during season?

• Never - Fresh every day

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • 1-2 days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-4 days

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • 5-6 days

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • 1 week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • All season

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

THBailey

Deer hunting, I load a clean dry barrel and leave it loaded until I shoot. I have left them loaded until the following season, a year later. Never a problem. If I shoot, clean right away. I hunt waterfowl with a Pedersoli SxS 12 ga. At the end of the day, if I am hunting the following day, just pull the caps and leave it dirty over night. Here in California It is legal to transport loaded and uncapped.

sdporter

I start with a clean barrel opening morning, in the dark, I pull over and load the rifle and blast it into the dirt on the side of the road, reload it and leave it so for 3-5 days unless I shoot it first, if I don’t, I’ll blow that one out and load another in there. Thoroughly clean after our 9 day hunt. Utah is pretty dang dry in September and October still. Don’t worry much about corrosion during the hunt.

THBailey

I start with a clean barrel opening morning, in the dark, I pull over and load the rifle and blast it into the dirt on the side of the road, reload it and leave it so for 3-5 days unless I shoot it first, if I don’t, I’ll blow that one out and load another in there. Thoroughly clean after our 9 day hunt. Utah is pretty dang dry in September and October still. Don’t worry much about corrosion during the hunt.

Where are you hunting this year? My son and I drew muzzle buck deer tags for the Fishlake Mountains east of Fillmore. Starts in about a month...

Dwayne

Wrong question. . ..It depends. . .

If I shoot the gun, I will clean it that night. . .

If i do NOT shoot the gun, I will leave it loaded all year long. . . until I go
to a target practice session, or go hunt the following year.

In other words, I will not clean it, until I shoot it. However long
that may be.

eekjellander

I shoot O.E. black /tape muzzle and plug breech till the trigger pull (usually that season) Ed

sdporter

Where are you hunting this year? My son and I drew muzzle buck deer tags for the Fishlake Mountains east of Fillmore. Starts in about a month...
Me and my two boys drew Pine Valley MZ tags. I usually do dedicated hunter, but didn’t draw that tag this year.

sdporter

This year, I plan on using the Teflon tape coated bullet, loaded on a CLEAN bore. I have found the POI doesn’t change much at 100 yards.
Shooting slip fit bullets, from my Whites, the group tightens up after the second shot, fouling with a primer or two, does nothing to really help that.The first two shots will always have a different POI relative to each other, sometimes by quite a bit, and different than the next two or three, although shots 2-5 are relatively close to each other, shot two is almost always out of the group.
I have needed follow up shots on a few occasions and really want the next shot to hit where the first one does without having to clean in the field.
If any of that makes sense.

jlynch75

In NY early season for Deer 1 week (third week of October). I'll leave it loaded for that week if I don't fire it. Later in the season if I get a deer I'll use my MZ for the rest of the season, usually stays loaded for two weeks in the middle of winter.