How many would travel?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
IF................ there were a SML match held and to LONG range, how many would be willing to travel for a match?

I know of a few SML shooters that would like to shoot at ranges beyond 400yds and out to 1,000yds. Problem is, finding a facility with a 1K range and willing to allow SML.
I sent off an email to the Marksmanship Training Center, Lake City, MI yesterday, asking about the possibility. What's the worst that can happen?
I know that all shooting there is done prone and no benches. I was told yesterday that they have two 1k ranges.

Yes, I know, it depends on what each of us may have going. However, how many would be willing to travel to Lake City, MI for a SML shoot?

MZ or Center Fire rifles , never fired sml in my custom

IF................ there were a SML match held and to LONG range, how many would be willing to travel for a match?

I know of a few SML shooters that would like to shoot at ranges beyond 400yds and out to 1,000yds. Problem is, finding a facility with a 1K range and willing to allow SML.
I sent off an email to the Marksmanship Training Center, Lake City, MI yesterday, asking about the possibility. What's the worst that can happen?
I know that all shooting there is done prone and no benches. I was told yesterday that they have two 1k ranges.

Yes, I know, it depends on what each of us may have going. However, how many would be willing to travel to Lake City, MI for a SML shoot?
1000 yards is intimidating............especially if you've never shot past 200-300 yds.
Why don't you think about a mid-range match first? X

Nice day, wife had things she wanted to do so.. I jumped in the Slingshot and road over to the MTC. They were just finishing up the end of day F-class relay. I was able talk to Rex some and what we do know now is, the SML shooters WOULD NOT shoot with the F-class shooters. F-class does not allow muzzle brakes and would not appreciate the SML brakes.
So pretty much the SML shooters would have to pay for the range day. We would also be manning the pits, so radios would be required.
Still plenty to find out.........

Nice day, wife had things she wanted to do so.. I jumped in the Slingshot and road over to the MTC. They were just finishing up the end of day F-class relay. I was able talk to Rex some and what we do know now is, the SML shooters WOULD NOT shoot with the F-class shooters. F-class does not allow muzzle brakes and would not appreciate the SML brakes.
So pretty much the SML shooters would have to pay for the range day. We would also be manning the pits, so radios would be required.
Still plenty to find out.........
I don't think MTC has pits. They use electronic scoring on their paper targets. I don't know if MTC owns the electronic system. I do know that the MRPA used one at Grayling. Remember...........bullets MUST go through the target above the speed of sound or it won't register the shot on the screen at the firing point. Check with Bret Soloman of the MRPA. X

I don't think MTC has pits. They use electronic scoring on their paper targets. I don't know if MTC owns the electronic system. I do know that the MRPA used one at Grayling. Remember...........bullets MUST go through the target above the speed of sound or it won't register the shot on the screen at the firing point. Check with Bret Soloman of the MRPA. X
According to Rex, there are pits. The electronic scoring would work. At 1,000yds the bullets should still be at 1,300fps with 350gr bullets.
The issue shooting with the F-class would be our use of muzzle brakes. That's a no go.....
Even with pits, they may not have to be manned? Send the number or rounds and take scores?

Wind? That's a whole different ball game. However, obtaining the proper elevation isn't that hard with the ballistic programs today. Other than final adjustments, none of us had issue with elevations.

According to Rex, there are pits. The electronic scoring would work. At 1,000yds the bullets should still be at 1,300fps with 350gr bullets.
The issue shooting with the F-class would be our use of muzzle brakes. That's a no go.....
Even with pits, they may not have to be manned? Send the number or rounds and take scores?

Wind? That's a whole different ball game. However, obtaining the proper elevation isn't that hard with the ballistic programs today. Other than final adjustments, none of us had issue with elevations.
By golly I guess they do have pits! They must have built them after we were uninvited from shooting at Grayling. Do you know how many firing points they have? That will determine how many shooters you will be limited to.
Just a thought...........maybe you could do what Hoppy did only in reverse. Appeal to the B.P. Ctg. shooters to come shoot with you. You just might get more ctg. guys show up than smokeless M/L shooters.
A big factor will be how much it will cost to rent the range for a day divided by the number of shooters who show up. Almost all the matches I am familiar with are 2 day events. We have had lower attendance at our matches this year due to gas prices. People are coming to fewer matches or none at all. X

There are 10 firing points and quite large. Large enough to help with muzzle brakes.
Those cartridge guys wouldn't like shooting next to someone shooting SML with a brake. But that's always an idea.
An awful lot of things yet to know.......

Sorry Xring about the short video/photo. I'm standing in position 10.

Edit.............. Getting up to the range is exactly that. Its up on a considerable hill, where you have to carry everything UP. IN SAND or long steps. Inconvenient but, at least there's a 1K range in MI.

I'M TELLING YOU THIS.................. CAMP ATTERBURY SPOILED ME!

View attachment New video.mp4

Last edited:
Back