How much pitting is too much?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demersj0

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Buckmaster .50 muzzleloader that I haven't used in many years. I'm nostalgic about it and want to keep it serviceable. I am defining serviceable as a loaner gun to a first time hunting partner or something I can shoot at the range a few times a year. I'm sure the accuracy will have declined if/when I shoot it again.

My question is more on safety. I started cleaning out the inside of the barrel a few days ago. It keeps looking better and better after a hot water and soap treatment, some CLP work, some brushing. It's gone from looking gnarly to I can see the rifling and there is some shine inside - but I can also see spots that I'm assuming are pitting.

At the breech, I was able to get the plug out with vice grips and have ordered a replacement just to have it on hand.

Some questions come to mind - and thanks i advance.

1) Should I be worried about the pitting from a safety perspective or am I overthinking it?
2) Is there anything I can do to treat the pitting. I was looking at JB bore paste but it's not currently available anywhere
3) What should I shoot to mitigate the pitting issues? It seems like patched balls would be the worse
4) Would you shoot the gun

Some minor pitting may or may not affect the accuracy. You'll see after you get the gun all set to shoot again.
If it's bad, you can possibly get the barrel bored out.

I think the barrel would have to be darned rough to be a safety issue, accuracy may be another issue if its that bad. Honestly it doesn't sound as though its to that point yet.

The JB is a great product but there are similar products one can use that can be found in gun shops and at larger retailers where guns, ammo and care products are sold...just do some foot work and you'll find them. Once you get the gun spiffed up its then a simple matter of developing a good maintenance program that starts as soon as possible after you get the gun home after shooting it.

Must have been neglected pretty bad if you couldn't even see the rifling.

@MrTom - thanks for the tips. I will look for a similar product
@flounder - yes, I didn't clean it well. I'd run some patches through it and call it done - now I'm obsessing over it, so I've moved between extremes

I had a friend give me a Knight plunger style gun and it was in bad shape. There was nothing shiny in the barrel but you could see the rifling. I Scrubbed it out with a bronze brush and loaded it with a load that worked well in my Knight Elite and shot it. 3 shots in a quarter at 100 yards.

The young fellow I mentor for hunting was given a Traditions Buckstalker that was left loaded after being shot for 2-3 years. The cruds fell out during cleaning and I was not optimistic. It will shoot tennis balls at 100 yards.

They may look bad but can still shoot great.

I think the barrel would have to be darned rough to be a safety issue, accuracy may be another issue if its that bad. Honestly it doesn't sound as though its to that point yet.

The JB is a great product but there are similar products one can use that can be found in gun shops and at larger retailers where guns, ammo and care products are sold...just do some foot work and you'll find them. Once you get the gun spiffed up its then a simple matter of developing a good maintenance program that starts as soon as possible after you get the gun home after shooting it.
When I have run out of JB Bore paste in the past for my CFs I used toothpaste mixed with Bon Ami kitchen cleanser, Worked well!..Just sayin'....Trader AKA Mossie

Chuck a brass cleaning brush on a cleaning rod and put the rod in a cordless drill. Soak brush with a good penetrating oil Kroil is the best if you have it. Use drill to spin brush up and down bore. Repeat until clean. Do this all the time at the shop. Easiest way I’ve found to clean neglected mzs

To me a barrel that is too rough will pull my dry patches off the jag.

Back