How much trimming is required…

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on very little personal experience, my guys have yielded roughly 20-25% of their field-dressed weight.
I track each deer - hanging weight compared to finished yield butchering it myself and I find that I get roughly 40-45% yield. Shot placement and how much fat I have to trim causes a lot of the variance.

Really need to check out processors. Some throw everyones' meat together before grinding.making deersticks, sausage, etc. Better result doing the processing yourself and it's really not difficult. Plan ahead, get stuff together & set up. We used the plastic kiddie wading pools beneath hanging deer to catch blood, scraps, etc. (easy cleanup).

Big savings for us is that dogs, cats, & chickens clean carcasses for weeks. Saves $ on critter food and it's really good for them.

You’ll likely become more adept (and faster) with more experience. Doing it myself is part of the hunt, for me. It also gives me more control over the final product, prevents getting gut-shot or spoiled meat mixed in at the locker plant, etc.

I consider myself pretty picky about my processing, based on my experience processing deer with others. I used to fillet out the silverskin from the front quarters with a knife, then grind the meat. What a way to burn up a lot of time! Now I grind them, just stopping and pulling the grinder knife/plate periodically, to clean the silverskin, etc. off. SO much faster, and I end up with a beautiful bright red grind, with very little “white” or silverskin in the grind.

More people should do their own processing. It’s not difficult, if you have a decent place to work. I guess the “elephant in the room“ is the ambient temperature that you hunt in. If it’s eighty degrees out, you need to get cutting, and get cooling!

I typically hunt late season in MN. Warm weather that time of year is pretty rare. I usually have to THAW my deer, to butcher it. (Partially frozen makes for good grinding, though!)
The grinder plate will separate it for you it helps to get the meat partially frozen to work better. On that size deer the bones weigh more than the meat if deboned. A quality meat grinder I'm talking 3/4 hp and all metal parts makes all the world a difference.

The grinder plate will separate it for you it helps to get the meat partially frozen to work better. On that size deer the bones weigh more than the meat if deboned. A quality meat grinder I'm talking 3/4 hp and all metal parts makes all the world a difference.
100% agree. Nearly frozen, good grinder, fishing gloves and several sharp knives including a fillet knife or two. It can go pretty quick once you've done a few.

So… I made a pot of chili this evening here at deer camp with the first grind. It was awesome as I expected due to the over trimming. I have one more deer I can take this year and will take all of these suggestions and do my best to incorporate them into a process that works.

I feel that like most things, you (I) learn with experience where the sweet spot is between enough and too much. I appreciate all of the suggestions, examples and recommendations. I’ll let you know how the next trimming and processing job ends up!

It's a matter of personal preference, there is no wrong.

I over trim, my pard used to but not so much anymore. I am trying to do better about leaving some of the silverskin that I get carried away with trimming.

I mix no pork or beef at grind time. If I want it mixed I mix once I am ready to make summer sausage otherwise nothing is cooked with a blend.

Pork fat goes rancid fast. Most likely within 6 months, even when frozen.

If I want beef or pork I eat beef or pork. Never understood why people mix. To each his own.

It's a matter of personal preference, there is no wrong.

I over trim, my pard used to but not so much anymore. I am trying to do better about leaving some of the silverskin that I get carried away with trimming.

I mix no pork or beef at grind time. If I want it mixed I mix once I am ready to make summer sausage otherwise nothing is cooked with a blend.

Pork fat goes rancid fast. Most likely within 6 months, even when frozen.

If I want beef or pork I eat beef or pork. Never understood why people mix. To each his own.
👍I want venison burger and nothing else in it!

When I butcher a deer I expect to wind up with 30 to 35% of hanging weight as yield. I do a pretty complete job and take neck, flanks, shanks and rib meat that a lot of people leave on. I suspect a lot of estimates are based on rule of thumb.

Attachments

• butcher.jpg
    butcher.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 0
I butcher , process and cook my deer...GET RID of the fat!!! its candle wax..so if you grind too much into your burgers you will be brushing your teeth 10 times to get that waxy goo off your teeth...ask me how I know..lol that goes along for BBQ deer ribs, you need to boil them first to get all the fat off them....venison fat is not like beef fat that adds flavor...
I also pressure can the venison, because of the high heat it renders the fat into liquid and stays that way when cooled, also the silver skin and any tough ligaments all soften up and almost dissolve and your left with tender meat, even the tough meat from the legs...

I butcher , process and cook my deer...GET RID of the fat!!! its candle wax..so if you grind too much into your burgers you will be brushing your teeth 10 times to get that waxy goo off your teeth...ask me how I know..lol that goes along for BBQ deer ribs, you need to boil them first to get all the fat off them....venison fat is not like beef fat that adds flavor...
I also pressure can the venison, because of the high heat it renders the fat into liquid and stays that way when cooled, also the silver skin and any tough ligaments all soften up and almost dissolve and your left with tender meat, even the tough meat from the legs...
That waxy goo i know exactly what you mean. When colder its a waxy substance but when cooked its a liquid, until it cools back down. BUT I also "hear" our bodys arent warm enough to keep it in liquid form to pass through our bodys, so supposedly it jams up and clings to your intestines and everything else, causes plaque built up in arteries etc . Thats with any animal fat. Sooooo, i cut absolutey as much as i can off everything. I cant stand any form of fat anyhow, some ppl like it , i sure dont...

That waxy goo i know exactly what you mean. When colder its a waxy substance but when cooked its a liquid, until it cools back down. BUT I also "hear" our bodys arent warm enough to keep it in liquid form to pass through our bodys, so supposedly it jams up and clings to your intestines and everything else, causes plaque built up in arteries etc . Thats with any animal fat. Sooooo, i cut absolutey as much as i can off everything. I cant stand any form of fat anyhow, some ppl like it , i sure dont...
I think thats a bit wrong, the acids in our stomachs dissolve animal fats and they dont clog anything up, the best part of beef is the fat, unlike deer...I have eaten enough beef and pork fat for several people and my cholesterol is actually low, the DR says eat more fish for the omega 3s and build up my good cholesterol..if you do the research on what actually caused high cholesterol you will be surprised...

40lbs of meat is a number i have come up with on many occasions. before i got my grinders [one here and one in ohio] i would weigh my meat before i took it in to processes. frequently i would have it ready to grind and just tell them to grind and/or make sticks.

but i agree with the others that it is your deer and there is no wrong way. do what makes you happy. so dont worry about it. you cant hurt it-its dead! with practice you will find what suits you.

also mentioned above is canning. you dont have to trim much before canning. just get the big chunks of fat and tendon off and grind most neck and shoulder meat, it will be fantastic after canning.

Back