How much triple 7 Ff to push 465 conical

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zymguy

Reaction score
What speed should I expect from 90g by weight of 777 Ff , I’m using a veggie wad and a traditional 209 primer. Gun is a 45 cal disc extreme.
What speed should I be targeting?
Thanks

Not positive on the speed
1500 fps or more with that hot of a load I would imagine.
Let me suggest that you adjust your amount of powder to find the most accurate load and not be so concerned with speed.

I can share this with you... It is for a 460 Bull Shop but should be close...

90460-MTNEx.jpg

I'm curious to know what 90 grains by weight of Triple7 comes out to by volume? Seems pretty darn hot for a .45 cal.
OP, that may well be over the recommended max charge of the manufacturer. Double check by volume to make sure it's a safe charge.

You DONT want to shoot 90gr by weight of Triple7 with a lead conical. 90gr by volume is probably close to 1550fps in a 45 and about the most you would ever want to use. 90gr by weight is close to 120gr by volume. I dont shoot them nearly that fast. 70-80gr range seems to be the sweet spot for me but im using BH209.

Its probably safe but you will more than likely get pretty poor results and lots of barrel scrubbing later.

Last edited:
Yeah, i missed the weight part the first time i read the topic too. Thats a heckuva lot of T7 to use in my book. Even by volume thats a lot in a 45cal. Sabotloaders post was for a 50cal and i would consider that pushing it a little bit. Im pretty sure he was also talking about volume and not weight.

I can confirm- 90 grains by volume is about 1550fps with t7 in a 50 cal with a 460 pure lead bullet. But man.. your gun is going to get dirty at those load. I’ve been duplexing on my side locks with BH209 for hunting- 10 grains by volume Of black or triple7 to 55-65 grains by weight of black horn.

I guess I really should add a couple of points...

I was shooting a 50 cal side hammer with a GM stainless barrel.

I was given the same perspective we are seeing about using 70 grains/vol. and being all that you might need for that size bullet plus the warning about leading. I started with with the 70 gr/vol. with a shot card wad Tried that load for awhile on paper and clay pigeons. Then I tried 80 and finally 90 gr. vol. in that particular barrel.

The accuracy of the 90 gr/vol load was far better than the other two loads. So I stayed with the 90 gr/vol. load.

DHawken.jpg

I will also say I really did not experience excessive leading with the Bull Shops and the NASA lube that Bull Shop Dan uses. Actually I am not sure I experienced any that GM bore. It was cleaned extensively after each shooting adventure.

I have no experience with a 45 shooting lead conicals. The only reason I shoot lead is the State requires me to during ML season.

What charge weight should I start with ?
Disc extreme in 45 cal . 465g boolit . Regular fed 209 primer and a veggie wad. What speed am I looking for ?
I will shoot a ladder test and load for accuracy but I don’t know where to start ? I need an inline loading manual!
Thanks
Ben

Last edited:
What charge weight should I start with ?
Disc extreme in 45 cal . 365g boolit . Regular fed 209 primer and a veggie wad. What speed am I looking for ?
I will shoot a ladder test and load for accuracy but I don’t know where to start ? I need an inline loading manual!
Thanks
Ben
I shoot a 346grn lead coni on 80grn Volume bh209 in my disc 45 1:20. Its a great load for me.

75-100 grains or even a little higher. Whatever groups well, there will be enough energy to get the job done.

Doc lists a 120’grain load of Pyro P from r the .451’s I believe. You might double check that, I’m going from memory which isn’t great anymore.

I've got Doc showing his preferred load to be 90gn Pyrodex P with the .450/460 PowerPunch bullet.

Attachments

• IMG_20201210_080151_burst_01_kindlephoto-717340285.jpg
    IMG_20201210_080151_burst_01_kindlephoto-717340285.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 8
Back