Howdy Folks!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy a good range rod! Preferably brass with a muzzle saver. A real good ball starter to. My Knight inline is a bear to load. Best money I spent.
Neil
Why Brass? Seems like a aluminum one wouldn't scratch the bore either.

Why Brass? Seems like a aluminum one wouldn't scratch the bore either.
Should have said non marring! I have a couple brass range rods. A large diameter for .50 and up and a small diameter for my .45. I just hear so many stories of wood ram rods breaking and carbon rods losing jags. I've never had a problem with the brass rods. I'm sure aluminum are just as good.
Neil

Thanks Cent, I hadn't added a data book to the list of stuff to get, but I will. I guess I can use some tape on the ramrod and mark witness marks in pen before making a permanent mark on it to start with, as things will change considerably as I experiment. That make sense, or is that too much?
Nope, all good stuff. I would suggest tape rather then a permanent mark as loads and ball sizes change. I keep a roll of red electrical tape in.my box.i load what I'm going to shoot for the day and make my mark.

Does pelletized powder take up the same volume as loose powder? Like dropping 2 slugs of 777 VS 100 grains (or whatever it is) loose powder? Would there be different marks on the range rod to identify 50gr, and 60 gr, and 1 pellet, and 2 pellets, and on and on for every different powder charge you choose to try out.
I'll be shooting loose powder for a while here in Texas, setting up and practicing as that is required (I think) in Colorado. I will spend a bunch of time up there when I retire in a couple of years.

Back