Howdy from Texas, Homemade black powder!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

751510shooter

Reaction score
How are yall doin? This muzzleloading business is my newest hobby, Ive been perfectin the dark art of making my own charcoal and blackpowder with said charcoal, for months now. This was originally for fireworks, but I found shooting it was much more efficient and legal so long as im at the range or hunting. I shoot a Traditions Pursuit Accelerator and Im just beginning to see better groups, I started with sabots and am now moving into using 250 grain aerolite powerbelts. I haven't shot them yet, but with any luck I will be able to nail down some tight groups at 100 yards, thus far ive only managed one bullseye and a group of 3-4 inches at 50 yards. I do shoot triple 7 when if I want to use commercial powder.

Thanks, and im open to any advice, as im new to the shooting part of black powder!!!

Howdy,

What kind of groups do u get with the T7? At 50 yds with that rifle and sabots, those are so-so groups.. Do u swab with a wet patch and dry patch between shots?

Some day, I want to hunt hogs in Texas with my bow and muzzy :D

I clean pretty thouroughly between shots, with a spit swab and a dry swab, if its really dirty I use the wire brush. Those groups suck in my opinion, I want a 2 inch group at 100 yards. I think im using to big of loads of black powder, I use Max loads every time. I think ill drop it to 100 grains next trip. Alot of people swear by using blackhorn 209, which im sure works the best, im sure its fantastic, but then again so is an AR15, you see, that would defeat the purpose of shooting a black powder firearm to me. Im all about black powder, the real thing. My own hand crafted powder. Thats my constant, the only variables will be everything else ;)

751510shooter,

Welcome to the Forum!

I would say that the large powder charge is causing your groups to be so large, you did not say what it was but over 100 grains is too much for powerbelts and really too much for them as a hunting load. They are notorious for blowing up on a critter with too high a charge. I would drop back to about 80 to 85 grains and see how it shoots then. Better yet get yourself a box of good pistol bullets like the Hornady XTP or Speer Deep Curl and some sabots, like the Harvester crushribs or smooths or even some MMP smooth. It will be a lot less expensive than the powerbelts and they work great on Deer. Both of those will handle the 100 to 110 grain charges just fine.

Well thank you for that information, I really appreciate that. I was definatly pretty sure I was overloading it at the range, you dont need a magnum load to take down a paper target ;) the barrel was jumping quite alot, and my max loads are 150 grains or about 7 grams with pyrodex but my own powder takes 220 grains to weigh in at 7 grams. I cant wait to drop a deer or hog with it, but obviously my groups need work.

751510shooter said:
Well thank you for that information, I really appreciate that. I was definatly pretty sure I was overloading it at the range, you dont need a magnum load to take down a paper target ;) the barrel was jumping quite alot, and my max loads are 150 grains or about 7 grams with pyrodex but my own powder takes 220 grains to weigh in at 7 grams. I cant wait to drop a deer or hog with it, but obviously my groups need work.

150 grains of loose Powder is an awful lot and really not needed. That is a pretty punishing load. There were too many TV personalities that touted loading 150 grains or powder but they were using (3) pellets. 2 50gn pellets (100grains) is equal to about 85grains of loose, so your load was pretty stout. I have been shooting 100 to 110 grain loads of loose Pyrodex with a 300 grain bullet for about 16 years. It is an accurate load and has hammered several deer. Some Rifles that are rated for 150gns of powder is rated for 3 pellets and about 120 of loose, so you might want to review your manual. I am quite sure if you drop that load you will see things tighten up quite a bit.

If you have not done so check out all the great info in the stickys of the New to Muzzleloading Forum and the Inline Forum, and if you have any questions just ask while your there. Lots of great guys with plenty of info on hand.

Again Welcome to the Forum.

Will do, thanks a lot! Still haven't gone to the range yet to do the 100 grain load, or try my new powerbelts, but I think Wednesday is a good day. Just bought an Uberti 1858 conversions new army, cant wait! The 45 long colt conversion cylinders are expensive though, im looking for a good one for cheaper, also looking for good cheap ammo which is proving difficult. Any info on that would be helpful, thanks again!

Ended up gettin the Uberti 1858 in black rock finish, its so much fun, and the black rock prevents corrosion and such, I actually made a video review by request from Taylor & Co, because the new finish is just that new. They wanted alot of feedback, so the result is the video I made in the link below.
http://youtu.be/wEaHOcXtQ-M

Latest posts

Back