Hummm

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some states didn't allow hunters to use muzzle loaders to hunt with period. I lived in such a state years ago and when the black powder scene lit up in the 60's we had to join together and lobby for the right to hunt with them. After years of work, the state caved and set aside a ML season thinking to keep us out of the woods during prime season disturbing the "real" hunters and scaring off their deer. For years we weren't allowed to use ML during regular season and all rifles hat to be traditional. Finally after more years of lobbying we were allowed to use ML during any season, but only after the inline guys spoke up. Now you can use any sort of ML during normal season, with a few days set out after the end of season for "heritage" season. Longbows and sidelocks only, spears and alatals not allowed.
I agree the additional cash inflow had something to do with it, originally we had to purchase an additional game stamp to even have a ML in the woods. Most state governments have no idea of the power and accuracy of black powder firearms, and were seeking to prevent wounding and lost game, but even some CF users are fools. I'm just thankful I have the opportunity to hunt with "old Betsy".

You can load a BPCR the same way , so i wonder if this would be legal ,

I'm guessing this is the one that is reaching 2800fps? When you're replicating centrefire ballistics at what point do muzzleloader seasons just end?
Much of the impetus behind separate seasons were the perceptions that muzzleloaders (at that time they were indeed primitive arms, flintlock or caplock with open iron sights) were limited in range and power compared to modern firearms and deserved a separat, longer season in which to participate. This mirrored the standard archery only seasons already in place in many states. You’re right though, when muzzleloading arms are equal in actual performance to centerfire weapons the reason for separate seasons effectively becomes moot. If the states wish to have primitive weapons seasons longer in duration and earlier or later than the standard rifle seasons I’m all in favor. Otherwise, we should probably just lump them in with centerfire rifles.

A point some might be missing how do you word out a .40 cal patched roundball

A point some might be missing how do you word out a .40 cal patched roundball

Simple, list a minimum projectile weight. That is exactly what Colorado did.

For deer, antelope, and bear, a conical projectile must be at least .40 caliber and a round ball must be at least .50 caliber
For elk and moose, conical bullets must be at least .50 caliber and round balls must be at least .54 caliber
From .40 to .50 caliber, bullets or round balls must weigh at least 170 grains
If greater than .50 caliber, a bullet or round ball must weigh at least 210 grains

So while a 40 is legal in Colorado for deer, a 40cal PRB is not.

Last edited:
Simple, list a minimum projectile weight. That is exactly what Colorado did.

For deer, antelope, and bear, a conical projectile must be at least .40 caliber and a round ball must be at least .50 caliber
For elk and moose, conical bullets must be at least .50 caliber and round balls must be at least .54 caliber
From .40 to .50 caliber, bullets or round balls must weigh at least 170 grains
If greater than .50 caliber, a bullet or round ball must weigh at least 210 grains

So while a 40 is legal in Colorado for deer, a 40cal PRB is not.

My states legislation is similar for all weapons i.e. centrefire, bow and muzzleloader it's a minimum bore diameter and minimum projectile/arrow/broadhead weight.

You can shoot some of our small deer with a 38 cal but it needs to weigh 200gr. 45 cal for large deer with a 230gr projectile. So prb is limited to 54 and up.

In WV it would be legal for everything except "Heritage" season.

Muzzleloader pistols are allowed in WV too!!! I hunted with a 15 in 209x50 Encore pistol. Had a Burris 2x7 scope on it and when I did my part a 5 shot group at 100 yds was under 2 inches. 100 gr BH209, Hornady 240 XTP, 1550 FPS

i have wondered that for awhile,I have seen ML that are as accurate as modern firearms ,but we still get just one shot,and they do still load from the front,And on top of that we have more Deer than we know what to do with in Missouri,our game warden said they will never be able to kill all the deer that we need to here,And for some reason when ML season comes Im still the only one in the woods.The thing is the challenge factor do you want an Inline or a Flintlock.cant see it changing here for awhile.

I love myth busting. I even tweaked the numbers in the 40cal ELRs favor....The less drop than a 300WinMag when zeroed at 200yards is a myth. Even at the 200 yard zero the 300WinMag has more FPE and FPS
300Win Mag 220gr with BC reduced slightly
amp3GVo.png

40cal ELR at the claimed specs
zAcPJt7.png

Last edited:
I love myth busting. I even tweaked the numbers in the 40cal ELRs favor....The less drop than a 300WinMag when zeroed at 200yards is a myth. Even at the 200 yard zero the 300WinMag has more FPE and FPS
300Win Mag 220gr with BC reduced slightly
amp3GVo.png

40cal ELR at the claimed specs
zAcPJt7.png

I was running numbers yesterday also comparing the two....they must be using a 100 yard zero on a very mild 300 win mag loads to get less drop at 300 yards

They had to cherry pick a low BC 308 bullet to make that claim. The lowest ive seen was around .350 for a spire point but if you move to a 200gr there are more good high BC hunting bullets in 308. Plus you can shoot them faster than the 220s.

Sure, i guess i could choose some round nose bullet and make that claim all day long but to do that and be fair you would need a round nose ELR also. The BC claim would plummet if you did that. Wait till a 40cal is released shooting a 40cal 300gr with a BC of at least .360. Even though it will start out about 500fps less it will hit like a freight train and eventually catchup to the 225gr. That bullet already exists, we are just waiting on the production class ML to make it a reality.

At 500 yards that 300gr@2300fps beats it in FPE with a .500 BC
500 1562fps and 1625fpe

Last edited:
"Test target from the new .40 with a 10-12 mile per hour right to left crosswind.
Shot 1 was cold bore & determined hold over. The next 4 shots measure 3” at 500 yards. Phenomenal sub moa accuracy for any rifle, but especially a production muzzleloader! "

No information about how much adjustment for that wind and spin??

aaaaaaa1target.jpg

South Carolina
MZ season on public lands.
Can use Mz during centerfire season.
No nitroceluse powder during MZ season.

BugIn

Latest posts

Back