Hunting Areas - Let’s see some Photos!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My place near Shattuck, OK. A little depression near the creek with wheat and hay grazer fields around in October. Usually have 2 to 5 doe in this area every morning. They get pretty close since there is no hunting pressure except me during muzzleloading season. I only hunt this little area with longbow in late archery season and muzzleloader season. I shot one of these in the second photo right after taking the photo. I only shoot does on this place, 800 acres. I leave the bucks for my partner on the place and his son.
The barrel on the flintlock looks a little short in the photos but it's 42" long.
37FC2F5F-A8A7-4E2B-AEA7-75B5D7E92F6C.jpeg

BFE9CF14-9C1C-4F1D-ACAA-B5AB2FA01D27.jpeg

I never had an opportunity to hunt open terrain like that. Looks very challenging.
Can be - top end glass helps and it depends on how easy the target animal is to see and what the terrain is like. There was actually a group of rams on that red mountain about a mile away in the pic. Spot and stalk is the method we use on the vast majority of our hunts out here. Easier for me than eastern hunting where I can’t see!

Private land somewhere in TN. If you look close you'll see turkey. I'm optimistic. My neighbors are awesome for letting me hunt their land.
Screenshot_20230328-211312_Photos.jpg
--
The WMA area I drew for spring turkey. Up on a relatively high ridge, where it's unlikely I'll run into other hunters. I've only seen one turkey one time there in the past year, so I'm not feeling great about that one, but I'm really looking forward to just getting out and camping (in a designated area) and roaming around the woods all day.
Screenshot_20230328-211244_Photos.jpg

Not quite what you are looking for but I found this pic the other day. It is my first elk taken just north east of Clark Colorado. Clark is just north of Steamboat if that helps. Im laughing cause this pic is probably 27 years old. I dont remember the year but around 1996. This is a pic of a pic. The original was with one of those disposable wide angles you older fellows will remember. Sorry its not a better pic but its what I have. It was a DIY as always in the national forest.

The ugly painted Ruger 77 in 338 Win Mag is hard to see. The shot was from 375 yards in the valley below. Just off my right hip.

The beard was not from the time spent in the mountains. I quit shaving when I was 17. My last picture with a clean face was my senior picture usually taken early in the senior year. That was 50 years ago. Its gone from dark to silver. LOL Never a full shave since. My wife and children have never seen my face. I know they would be disappointed. LOL

I saw my buddy six weeks ago as we planned this years hunting and fishing. We laughed. We slept on the side of the mountains for five days. Were we bad a$$ or stupid??? LOL. What a beautiful place. The scenery to a Michigan Flatlander, Sitting around the fire at night and having a coffee. We weren't smart enough to open up the elk and get some back strap. Not just the hunt but I remember getting back to the Holiday Inn in Laramie. After 5 days of living on instant food and trout we asked the guy at the desk where the nearest best steak house was. After getting much needed baths we went to the Cavalryman (sp) (I just looked it up and its still there). I remember the smell of steak in the parking lot and the perfume of a beautiful hostess as we entered. LOL

Thank you Lord for these moments.

IMG_2985.JPG

Last edited:
Not quite what you are looking for but I found this pic the other day. It is my first elk taken just north east of Clark Colorado. Clark is just north of Steamboat if that helps. Im laughing cause this pic is probably 27 years old. I dont remember the year but around 1996. This is a pic of a pic. The original was with one of those disposable wide angles you older fellows will remember. Sorry its not a better pic but its what I have. It was a DIY as always in the national forest.

The ugly painted Ruger 77 in 338 Win Mag is hard to see. The shot was from 375 yards in the valley below. Just off my right hip.

The beard was not from the time spent in the mountains. I quit shaving when I was 17. My last picture with a clean face was my senior picture usually taken early in the senior year. That was 50 years ago. Its gone from dark to silver. LOL Never a full shave since. My wife and children have never seen my face. I know they would be disappointed. LOL

I saw my buddy six weeks ago as we planned this years hunting and fishing. We laughed. We slept on the side of the mountains for five days. Were we bad a$$ or stupid??? LOL. What a beautiful place. The scenery to a Michigan Flatlander, Sitting around the fire at night and having a coffee. We weren't smart enough to open up the elk and get some back strap. Not just the hunt but I remember getting back to the Holiday Inn in Laramie. After 5 days of living on instant food and trout we asked the guy at the desk where the nearest best steak house was. After getting much needed baths we went to the Cavalryman (sp) (I just looked it up and its still there). I remember the smell of steak in the parking lot and the perfume of a beautiful hostess as we entered. LOL

Thank you Lord for these moments.

View attachment 33123
Great story! Thanks for sharing! I was bouncing around in the country just north of there in ‘95 or so too and ate in the Cavalryman. Good memories of beautiful country!

Back