Hunting dog poll

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the best all around hunting dog breed?

• Labrador retreiver

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Golden Retreiver

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Beagle

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Spaniels

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Poodle

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Setters

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Great Dane

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters
Do you have a permit to shoot pets? That makes you a poacher. May have to send that pic to the DNR and your local PD.
The cats I am referring to our "feral" cats that eat my yard birds, squirrel, and tear my trash out that is 6 ft in the air on my pump house. No I am not a poucher sir. And the only bobcat I shot, was in season as well. Look up NC regulations if u want to. I like you and your content bo.

I may start shooting beagles to even the score for you, Dickhead.
Come on bo. Let's be mature man. It is a felony offense here in the South to shoot anyone's hunting dog. We are responsible and ethical hunters. We also bait deer and still hunt. We have both of two worlds.

Come on bo. Let's be mature man. It is a felony offense here in the South to shoot anyone's hunting dog. We are responsible and ethical hunters. We also bait deer and still hunt. We have both of two worlds.
I'm gonna let this entire conversation blow out the window and forget it ever happened.

Last edited:
AWS American Water Spaniels. I now have two. Lucked on to a pup (with Papers) that wasn't picked up in July. Both females (5 Y) &(8 m) and and not fixed.
They are the offical greeting dogs of our farmers Market. See squirrels long before I do. Fantastic watch dogs and I can lift them.
I haven't picked up a squirrel or dove in more than 15 years. Having two working dogs was on my End of Life bucket list. Getting them to work as a team is next.

Attachments

• IMG_0830.JPG
    IMG_0830.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0834.JPG
    IMG_0834.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My golden doodle (I know everyone soccer mom in the world has them now) hunts extremely well for pheasant. When my wife and I got him, I had no intentions of ever hunting with him but he had a very strong play drive and anytime I’d take him on an off leash walk, he’d spend the whole time “hunting”. So I tried him out in PA state gamelands where they stock pheasants and he did amazing…not just good for a dog out on his first time. He works the area thoroughly, he checks in often to make sure I am still near by, he seems to target cover likely to hold birds etc. The only downside is his coat is like the soft side off Velcro…it captures everything
View attachment FullSizeRender.MOV

For open western hunting like mule deer in Nevada it is hard to beat a Basenji. Just watch them and they will spot the game for you that otherwise would be unseen. They are not technically hunting as they never have to leave the jeep.

I have had plenty of “hunting dogs” and loved and miss them all. But my current Wire Haired Fox Terrier is also a great squirrel dog. The problem that he catches them before they make the tree! IMG_0915.jpeg

Back